Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Lend James a hand
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
31 to 60 of 169
Mar 3rd 2008 edited

But other websites I go to automatically do this already. I am already set to that in the Tools/Options/Tab tab.

When I remember to or don't care, I right click. But as long as we are wishfully thinking...

Mar 3rd 2008

I wish that links opened up in new tabs or windows when you clicked on them instead of having you leave the current page.

I agree with this idea. When I open most links, they pop up in a new window, but not on NA, which would be a nice thing to add, if at all possible.

Mar 3rd 2008

If you're in Firefox, click on Tools-->Options and select the Tabs tab. It'll look like this. Select "New pages should be opened in ... a new tab."

I have this setting and it still opens in the same window, which would also be my one (very minor) complaint about the site.

Mar 3rd 2008 edited

When I remember to or don't care, I right click.

I have my scroll wheel set to open links in a new tab when clicked. That way I can left click links if I want to, or middle click to have them open in a new tab if needed. This has the advantage of not having to click a context menu option if I right click. One click, new tab.

Mar 3rd 2008 edited

Great suggestions so far. Rest assured that the new site will retain the same general aesthetic as NA: clean, simple, and clutter-free.

If you're in Firefox, click on Tools-->Options and select the Tabs tab. It'll look like this. Select "New pages should be opened in ... a new tab."

As I understand it, this setting only applies to links that are set to open in a brand new browser window and not to "regular" links which replace your current page with the new page. Every link here is a regular link; thus, this setting has no effect. Fortunately, it is possible to create a user account setting that forces every link to open in a new window (or a new tab if you have this preference activated) -- I'll be sure to keep this mind as I'm designing the software.

Mar 4th 2008

Just wanted to say that the no graphics thing is huge for me. There are only two forums I frequent regularly, this one and Baseball Think Factory, and I don't think it's a coincidence that there are no blinking pictures or bandwidth-chomping graphics to worry about.

Anyway. I'd be willing to keep recapping, if recapping is something that will be done wherever. I enjoyed doing that. Whether that's recapping "The Office" here, or something else somewhere else, I'll do it if you want me to. If not, well, I had fun doing it, and I thank you for the opportunity, and thanks for the forum.

And woo hoo for big project, yeah?

Mar 4th 2008

I was thinking about this. If volunteering to contribute recaps or show-related news items would help keep things rolling, I'd gladly chip in.

Mar 4th 2008

in both safari and netscape, i command-click to open a regular or pop-up link in a new tab. i set this in preferences. i set firefox to do this as well.

if i couldn't use tabbed browsing i would command-q myself.

Mar 4th 2008

Me too.

On the chipping in thing and the command-q thing.

I'm not a professional writer, but if there's database work that you need or anything else, I'd be happy to help.

Mar 6th 2008

Just thought I'd light this thread again. Is there anything else in the way of advice or suggestions we could offer James for his new site? Anything we've seen on other sites that we may have liked? Speak now...

Just a thought I had...what about an IRC option? Would that take away from the posts? Would anyone join it if it were available?

Mar 6th 2008

what about an IRC option?

I do not know what this is, am therefore afraid of it, and want no part of it.
But what is it?

Mar 6th 2008

It's essentially a chat room, like over at Office Tally. Of course, OT has a chat room, but no chat forum. I think having one kind of cancels out the need for the other, but I have seen and belong to forums that have both. I am not for or against them myself, I was just bringing them up as an option.

Mar 6th 2008

I'm hiding behind you.

Mar 6th 2008 edited

I like the idea of the forum because if I'm gone for a day I can go back and read the hilarity that ensued while I was gone. If we only did chat, I probably wouldn't know that Mixed Berries exists since he's on an opposite and therefore less worthy schedule than us Americans.

Mar 6th 2008

I'm hiding behind you.

What a pair of Mary's.

Mar 6th 2008

And you all would think me and a few others would be experiencing some shared delusion when we told you that there was this guy who lived on the bottom of the planet who seemed to speak English but called it "metrics."

Mar 6th 2008

I'm hiding behind you.

Don't worry guys. I'll protect you. Let's throw stuff at it; maybe it'll run away?

Mar 6th 2008

Kick it in the nards!

Mar 6th 2008

The IRC's got nards!

Mar 6th 2008

If we only did chat, I probably wouldn't know that Mixed Berries exists since he's on an opposite and therefore less worthy schedule than us Americans.

Yeah, but I still see Lost before most of you. Take that!

Mar 6th 2008

I think I discovered your secret last week, but I'm waiting until this week to confirm it.

Mar 6th 2008

Anything we've seen on other sites that we may have liked?

I've seen other sites that have an option to have grayed-out or otherwise hidden text, where you have to roll over or highlight it to read it.

Maybe this would be a useful feature that we could hide spoilers behind? I think maybe on imdb.com or somewhere I've seen this used.

Mar 6th 2008

I think I discovered your secret last week, but I'm waiting until this week to confirm it.

What secret is that?

Mar 6th 2008

I know your secret. You weren't sick at all.

Mar 6th 2008

I've seen other sites that have an option to have grayed-out or otherwise hidden text, where you have to roll over or highlight it to read it.

Maybe this would be a useful feature that we could hide spoilers behind? I think maybe on imdb.com or somewhere I've seen this used.

TWOP has the black bars, those are pretty nifty. Sometimes all the spoiler alerts get annoying and they don't really hide anything. But it would also be annoying to see multiple posts of nothing but black bars. So...paradox.

Mar 6th 2008

The secret of how to bust through the space-time continuum to watch a program before it airs in its nation of origin.

Mar 6th 2008

Oh, well I won't be able to do that today. You'll have to wait until next week to confirm your theory. I'm interested to hear what your theory is.

Mar 6th 2008

Are you telling me there's not a new episode tonight?

Mar 6th 2008

I assume there is, but i won't be home until later than usual today. But rest assured, I will see it before the night is over.

Mar 6th 2008

I can still confirm or refute my theory based on whether or not I am able to bust through the space-time continuum, though.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
31 to 60 of 169
Top of PageBack to discussions