Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Lend James a hand
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
91 to 120 of 169
Mar 18th 2008

TWSS, I know.

Mar 20th 2008 edited

I'm working on a new online community for television fans, and I'm looking for input from you guys.

James, I am really sorry to hear about Northern Attack. I think you have done a spectacular job, guiding it to become THE place where crazy Office fans can come to opine, hash and rehash with intelligence and wit. The recaps are so insightful and many times provided a depth and perspective that I usually hadn't considered. Which is exactly why I will mourn the loss. NA made being an Office fan that much cooler. I'm happy to hear that the Watercooler will remain active. It would be pretty tragic for this incredible group of cooler people to have to disperse.

Having said that, I do wish you well in your new venture. I will look forward to it. I also love the simplicity of NA. I think that particularly draws more mature, more sophisticated posters, the same demographics that are attracted to The Office.

I think James knows the kind of people who gather here pretty well. I doubt he'd be very surprised. You guys are all really immature.

Also, in your butt.

Never mind.

ETA: Please consider enlisting others to provide episode recaps. Maybe we could all take a turn.

Mar 20th 2008

I'm amazed at how many people value and rely on this site. I'm not surprised that they do, but I've always felt like this was like the best-kept secret in Office-land, like a secret OfficeTally. Did you know there are like 1,200 registered screen names. They're not all active, obviously, but then again a lot of lurkers never register.

Mar 20th 2008

I feel exposed now. And kind of embarrassed. I'm gonna shut my NA blinds now.

Mar 20th 2008

That's a lot of people who know what a skeevy little perv I am.

Mar 20th 2008

I don't think anyone here is not a skeevy little perv.

I've always felt like this was like the best-kept secret in Office-land, like a secret OfficeTally.

Me, too. I love this place! Don't get me wrong, I love going to OT for Office news and whatnot but everyone here is just awesome!

Mar 20th 2008 edited

Yeah, I check OT every day for news and new articles but I've never posted anything there, this is where I come for intelligent conversation.

Boobs.

Mar 20th 2008

I'm amazed at how many people value and rely on this site. I'm not surprised that they do, but I've always felt like this was like the best-kept secret in Office-land, like a secret OfficeTally. Did you know there are like 1,200 registered screen names. They're not all active, obviously, but then again a lot of lurkers never register.

Wow. I agree, Brian. I know that if I don't have time to post something I still look in and check out what's going on, so, lurker and poster. Win-win.

Mar 20th 2008

Heeeyyy.

Also, nards.

Mar 20th 2008

Heeeyyy.

Also, nards.

In your butt.

Mar 20th 2008

Boo-nards!!

Apr 19th 2008

I would have an increased search capability. Sometimes I know a certain person quoted on a certain thread, but none of the functions allow me to search for that.

Apr 20th 2008
  • Being able to search just one thread would be cool.
  • A quote button for posts might be nice.
  • As much as I love me some Markdown, perhaps you should allow people to use some sort of BBCode hybrid also? It'd make quoting easier.
  • No one seems to like avatars and signatures. (Understandably.) How about allowing people to choose the color of their name? Though I guess some loser would just choose the background color. Maybe that's not a good idea.

• More themes, though this is more a suggestion for here. The beige is kind of depressing. Fancy New Themes, and all that. (Is this still the oldest version of Vanilla?)

• Ever thought about allowing categories? I know some people hate spoilers, so if "spoilers" was its own category, people could just filter it out and never see that category.
Apr 20th 2008 edited

Agree
Agree
Disagree
Disagree
Disagree
Disagree

Apr 20th 2008

I get the second disagree, but not the other three. Though, I fiddled with the second idea when I was writing some forum software.

There's nothing special about Markdown. He could implement Textile or Restructured Text also. I think giving people options for the markup they prefer to work with is a good idea.

You don't like different color schemes? They wouldn't be mandatory. I know from time to time, depending on where my laptop is, I can't distinguish between threads with new posts and not. Maybe that is just me.

Vanilla's default is to show all threads regardless of category on the front page and you can filter it how you want. I still think it'd be a good idea to let people filter out the spoiler threads. I certainly don't want threads to be in separate sections.

Apr 20th 2008

I like that I can come here and simply enjoy the discussion without all the extras that I really don't need. The other suggestions get in my way of that enjoyment. Even the category thing.

Apr 20th 2008 edited

I know from time to time, depending on where my laptop is, I can't distinguish between threads with new posts and not.

That could be fixed with just a stronger contrast between the threads, I would think.

Apr 20th 2008

I'm using my laptop right now, in fact I always am, and I've never had a problem with that.

Apr 20th 2008

I have that problem on my desktop PC at home and my mac at work and on my macbook. Maybe it's Firefox, but I'm not switching browsers for that.

Apr 20th 2008 edited

I have the problem on my laptop, and I use Explorer. The difference between "white threads" and "off-white threads" is quite apparent at work, but here it's more difficult. I still don't really like the idea of color, though.

Apr 20th 2008

Well, I don't really want to change the current stylesheet. I was just thinking another choice might be nice.

Apr 21st 2008

I couldn't tell the difference between read and unread threads either, so I decided to experiment and I fixed it by fiddling with brightness.

Apr 25th 2008

I thought of something else I'd like, but that may be a part of this place that I just don't know how to access. I think it would be neat to be able to mark read threads as unread so I can remember to look at links, videos, and whatnot that I can't access at work.

Apr 25th 2008

Not being snarky: Isn't that what the "Bookmarked" threads function is for? I haven't experimented with that, though.

Apr 25th 2008

Sure enough. That's why I couched my comment with the acceptance it may already be a feature of which I was unaware. Thanks, KarenM!

Apr 25th 2008

Yes, but I don't want to 'bookmark' entire threads. I want to flag certain posts.

Apr 25th 2008

Hah, I just said the same thing in the Night Out thread, Anque. You rock and I wish we had that feature in well. (Gah, I can't believe I just used "in well". I hate that.)

Apr 25th 2008

in well. (Gah, I can't believe I just used "in well".

Are you really Rashida? Has all this Rashida hate been a smokescreen?

Apr 25th 2008

Does it still count as a jinx if we said it in separate threads? Ah hell, who cares. (That counts as coke, right?)

Apr 25th 2008

Hah, now I have something to talk about if I ever meet Ryan.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
91 to 120 of 169
Top of PageBack to discussions