Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Lend James a hand
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
121 to 150 of 169
Apr 25th 2008

Are you really Rashida? Has all this Rashida hate been a smokescreen?

(in my best crackhead Whitney voice) Hell to the, hell to the, hell to the, heeeeeeeellll to the NO.

Apr 30th 2008 edited

Just wanted to pop in and respond to a couple of the suggestions.

Being able to search just one thread would be cool.

Great suggestions, chase that feeling. Search improvements across the board are definitely on the agenda.

More themes, though this is more a suggestion for here. The beige is kind of depressing. Fancy New Themes, and all that. (Is this still the oldest version of Vanilla?)

I agree that the beige is kind of a downer -- I may have unintentionally channelled Season One and its drab color palette when I designed NA. I'm confident that I can improve appearances without compromising the clean look that emphasizes the quality-first mentality. I also intend on fixing the more fundamental UI issues (i.e., improving readability and contrast).

And, yes, the forums here are still running on a pre-1.0 version of Vanilla.

I still believe the biggest challenge in launching the new website will be in attracting a community: not just any community, but a community of people who genuinely enjoy the discussion of good television and the camaraderie that comes with it. I still consider the activity on these forums to be something of a miracle considering the dreck that characterizes much of the Internet. Clearly, there is a higher power at work compensating for my lax participation and involvement here -- I only hope that I can summon him/her/it to bestow the same fortune on me once again.

On a less mystical note, it's likely that I'll invite you folks to participate in a pre-release version of the new site before I make it available to the general public. In addition to helping me iron out any last-minute bugs, it will allow me to seed the community with a quality crowd. Quite honestly, you all are exactly the type of people I'd like to see on the new site.

Is the title of this thread intentionally dirty? Because I'm assuming so.

Except for Asdfaeou.

Apr 30th 2008

On a less mystical note, it's likely that I'll invite you folks to participate in a pre-release version of the new site before I make it available to the general public. In addition to helping me iron out any last-minute bugs, it will allow me to seed the community with a quality crowd. Quite honestly, you all are exactly the type of people I'd like to see on the new site.

Score! Can I use you as a character witness if I ever need one?

Apr 30th 2008

Hey! You know, you make a simple comment, and get exactly what you deserve? Come on!

Apr 30th 2008

Score! Can I use you as a character witness if I ever need one?

Only if I'm summoned unexpectedly at the last minute to provide pivotal, earth-shattering testimonial.

Apr 30th 2008 edited

Assuming that James (not Brian) is kidding (as he usually is) I would be honored to test drive a new forum? What would happen to us though? Would you transfer us there? I'm not a very good mover, but I'll do whatever is necessary.

Apr 30th 2008 edited

Assuming that Brian is kidding (as he usually is) I would be honored to test drive a new forum? What would happen to us though? Would you transfer us there? I'm not a very good mover, but I'll do whatever is necessary.

I've still got a long ways to go before I can give you a definitive answer: more likely than not, though, I'll just have you create a new account on the new site.

Apr 30th 2008

You're our unchallenged leader in all this James, whatever you have us do, I'm sure we'll all gladly follow.

Apr 30th 2008

You're just saying that because if all our stats reset to zero, you'll have less work. This compliment reeks of self-interest.

Apr 30th 2008

You're just saying that because if all our stats reset to zero, you'll have less work. This compliment reeks of self-interest.

Yeah, I'll tell you what that comment reeks of...

May 1st 2008

Only if I'm summoned unexpectedly at the last minute to provide pivotal, earth-shattering testimonial.

Hopefully your testimonial will include at least one "That's what she said."

May 1st 2008

Suhweet! I love so much about tv so I think I would love your new site. Can't wait to see it but can you promise me there won't be any sexual predators on it?

May 1st 2008 edited

Where's the fun in that? Danger is part of what makes the interwebs so exciting.

it will allow me to seed the community

I am very excited to plant my seed into a quality community.

May 1st 2008

Assuming that Brian is kidding (as he usually is) I would be honored to test drive a new forum? What would happen to us though? Would you transfer us there? I'm not a very good mover, but I'll do whatever is necessary.

I've scrolled through all my comments on this thread, and I still have no idea what this refers to.

May 1st 2008

I think he said your name when he meant someone else.

May 1st 2008 edited

I think you've been falsely blamed or falsely credited for someone else's comment. So, too bad or congrats.

May 1st 2008

I think Asdfaeou thinks that Brian is James, and also that Brian kids around a lot.

May 1st 2008

That makes sense. Or he confused me with James because of our similar posting stats.

May 1st 2008

Damn! When I wrote that it was late and I was falling asleep. The funny thing is, I remember typing "Brian" and backspacing saying "no no wrong name" then retyped it anyway. Fixing...

May 6th 2008

Well, I've read through this thread twice and I don't believe anyone's mentioned this yet. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a post preview function in the future. Currently I edit pretty much every one of my posts immediately after submitting them, since I always forget to do something or it just doesn't look right at first. I'm still getting the hang of Markdown (embedded quotes are not fun - how do you do this?).

Also James, thanks once again creating and maintaining the best Office community on the net.

May 9th 2008

I second the preview future. Markdown, although very easy to use, does pose some problems for me sometimes.

Have to say though that I love the simplicity of the whole forum. Soothing colours and no flashy graphics makes it very easy to read the posts. And who needs all those signatures anyway. Keep on doing what you're doing James because it works.

May 9th 2008

The subdued color scheme and lack of graphics also make it easy to use at work without alerting your co-workers or boss :)

May 9th 2008

The subdued color scheme and lack of graphics also make it easy to use at work without alerting your co-workers or boss :)

Quoted for absolute truth (he typed while sitting at his work desk).

May 9th 2008

Absolutely. I was 'talked to' this week about my internet use. Specifically my boss said, 'people' have been coming back to talk to me about seeing you on the internet 'a lot'. The best she could come up with was 'some kind of mail site or something? "So if you aren't doing work business with your gmail, you should probably refrain from checking it."

Thank you, Northern Attack, for your graceful and subdued appearance.

May 9th 2008

For all the great suggestions for improvements and changes, I'd say doing nothing would still make the new site better than three-quarters of the Interwebs.

May 9th 2008

I'd say doing nothing would still make the new site better than three-quarters of the Interwebs

That fraction makes sense.

May 9th 2008

So what's the better quarter look like?

May 9th 2008

More pictures of naked chicks.

May 9th 2008

Which wouldn't hurt here.

May 22nd 2008 edited

I have a suggestion for here... over at OT, tanster has one post that has all of the Hulu videos embedded in it.

Would it be possible to do something similar to James' first posts for the episode threads? That might be nice for people who want to quickly access the episode in the thread.

I don't think this would impact too many people, since it'd just be the first page and normally we're at like page 5 by the episode airing.

And I guess if your new site covers a show that is hulu'ed, perhaps you could automatically set up threads to get the hulu video.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
121 to 150 of 169
Top of PageBack to discussions