Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.09 Dinner Party
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. ...
  13. 21
  14. >
451 to 480 of 617
Apr 13th 2008

Wow, we are surprising good at predicting these things.

Apr 13th 2008

We never viewed it as Jim being a jerk

Forgot to mention this, I did think Jim would have left, which means he was a bit of a jerk there. Interesting scene.

I also love Andy’s “Thought about it. I’m in.”

Yes, another wonderful moment.

So, eventually I'll go back and read all the comments, but can someone tell me quick what was the board's general consensus on the episode?

Apr 13th 2008

It's so not the beer sign of choice, which is why it's great for Michael.

I loved that they lit the scene as if the sign was as bright as the sun.

Apr 13th 2008

So, eventually I'll go back and read all the comments, but can someone tell me quick what was the board's general consensus on the episode?

From what I could tell, the general reaction was positive. A few people didn't like it that much, and not everyone absolutely loved it, but overall I think we as a group approved.

Apr 14th 2008

but overall I think we as a group approved

Quoted for truth. I think the main objection by those who had issues with the episode centred around the awkward moments, which are a major aspect of the show. If you don't like the awkward moments of this show then I feel you're missing out on half the humour. Go back to season one and parts of season two. See how much of the episodes had the awkward humour in them. That was the genius of the show that initially drew many of us to it. The awkward element has been missing from the show for many episodes, so I think a few viewers, especially those new to the show within the last season or season and a half, maybe aren't used to it, or as prepared for it as others.

So, it's Monday a.m. here. And I have been singing One Night all weekend. I just can't get it out of my head. Anyone else suffering from Onenightis? The frustrtating thing is I can only remember the first few lyrics. Just in case anyone forgot them, here's what I remember:

You took me by the hand, made me a man
That one night (one night) you made everything all right

then I think it says

so wrong (raw?) so right all night oh yeah ?

I'm glad Lee and Gene answered those questions for everyone so you all can finally stop talking about it. Also, I'm glad that they mentioned Andy's "thought about it. I'm in." That was a perfect Andy line.

A few other lines that I enjoyed more upon the 5th and 6th watch:

• When in Rome...

• Make yourself in home.

Apr 14th 2008

Anyone else suffering from Onenightis?

I wouldn't say I'm suffering from it.

I'm glad Lee and Gene answered those questions for everyone so you all can finally stop talking about it.

Very funny stuff.

Apr 14th 2008

I was actually surprised that he fit as well as he did.

Yeah, me too. I thought it was a funny bit in and of itself, but I don't think it's the right kind of joke for this show, if that makes sense.

This clears things up nicely.

Yeah, that cleared nothing up for me. I kind of get the feeling they didn't know what they were doing there. They just thought it would be funny and went with it, which is and was fine by me. That doesn't mean it made much sense.

If you don't like the awkward moments of this show then I feel you're missing out on half the humour. Go back to season one and parts of season two. See how much of the episodes had the awkward humour in them. That was the genius of the show that initially drew many of us to it. The awkward element has been missing from the show for many episodes, so I think a few viewers, especially those new to the show within the last season or season and a half, maybe aren't used to it, or as prepared for it as others.

Quoted for more truth.

Apr 14th 2008

that kinda makes me feel like I'm being called stupid. I understand the awkwardness and usually I like it. I understand there hadn't been much of it lately but I still understand it when I see it. I just think like all the other humor in the show sometimes it works, sometimes not.there were a few awkward moments in the show I don't think worked.

Apr 14th 2008 edited

Yeah, me too. I thought it was a funny bit in and of itself, but I don't think it's the right kind of joke for this show, if that makes sense.

I agree...it was funny, I just think it wore that scene out a little. I think it would have been much better if the video camera was the main joke of the scene, although I was surprised in well to see how well he fit on the bench.

Also, I'm glad that they mentioned Andy's "thought about it. I'm in." That was a perfect Andy line.

Me too! I was watching with my roommate and her boyfriend, and when Andy said that the boyfriend exclaimed "He just said he would give how much money?! What?!"

that kinda makes me feel like I'm being called stupid.

I don't think you're stupid.

Anyone else suffering from Onenightis?

I am now. Thanks a lot, Daoust.

Apr 14th 2008 edited

I already downloaded That One Night and put it on my ipod... so yeah, I think I have Onenightis.

There were parts where maybe it got a little too awkward, but I missed the awkwardness in general so I'm fine if they overshot it a bit in this one. I also loved the video camera in the bedroom but started to feel really awful when we found out Michael slept on that little bed. Aw, I just want to give him a hug. That whole time he was trying to get Jim and Pam over was a cry for help. It would break my heart, but Dwight saved him so everything is ok. Dwight is my hero.

Apr 14th 2008

I really felt bad for Dwight when Michael told him he couldn't come. It became clear later, though, that it was Jan who had decreed that Dwight wasn't welcome. Michael seemed genuinely pleased when he showed up later with his...uh..."date".

Apr 14th 2008 edited

I already downloaded That One Night and put it on my ipod...

The song is downloadable? Is it on itunes? I thought NBC hated itunes now.

I was also really glad and proud of Michael for sticking up for Dwight. (Dwight's date, of course, is a fierce supporter of Sparkle Motion.)

Apr 14th 2008

It's on the NBC website. Only 45 seconds of it, but it still makes me happy.

Apr 14th 2008

That whole time he was trying to get Jim and Pam over was a cry for help.

That's a great point. Of course his whole life is a cry for help. But that really sums this episode up.

Apr 14th 2008

I think the main objection by those who had issues with the episode centred around the awkward moments

I had a feeling that might happen, it was definitely reminiscent of earlier shows. I enjoyed it all, but one part that made me squirm a bit (while laughing) was the "I'm a devil" scene.

Saw that some people think they've gone too far with Jan in wacky land and I have to agree. Personally, I've never been a huge fan of Jan's character, but I liked her role as exasparated exec who stopped by Scranton every once in a while a lot better than what they have her doing now. If they wrote her off the show altogether I wouldn't complain.

Apr 14th 2008

I've found the evolution of Jan's character pretty interesting. She started out as the stereotypical hard-as-nails professional woman, then the writers peeled away that phony facade, layer by layer, showing a person who is brittle, unhappy, and (eventually) just fuckin' nuts.

I don't think any statement is being made about all professional women. Just this one.

Apr 14th 2008

I just think like all the other humor in the show sometimes it works, sometimes not.there were a few awkward moments in the show I don't think worked.

Asd, I'm sorry if what I wrote made you feel stupid. That wasn't my intention. My intention was to make you feel like a retard.

But as to your above comment, can you point to which awkward scenes and explain why they didn't work for you? Were they too awkward? Too over the top?

Apr 14th 2008

it was really only the bed scene, and IMO, it wasnt that it was awkward it was that it was stupid. Michael is a moron but really wouldnt put up with sleeping at the foot of the bed like a dog. I think they could've made the joke work if they had pam or jim say something like "why don't you just sleep on the couch" followed by an awkward pause with michael giving one of his "whoops I look stupid how do I get out of this" looks.

Apr 14th 2008

Michael is a moron but really wouldnt put up with sleeping at the foot of the bed like a dog.

Well, a normal human being wouldn't, but remember this is someone who burned his foot on a George Foreman grill, produced a music video for meeting with the new CFO and thought it was appropriate to bring in a inflatable sex doll on Sexual Harassment day.

Apr 14th 2008 edited

this is someone who burned his foot on a George Foreman grill

Because I have no life, I was thinking the other day about how sad it was for Michael that Jan probably doesn't let him have his Foreman grill on the floor of his bedroom anymore. Probably safer for him, though.

Apr 14th 2008

Yeah. I'm sure he no longer gets to wake up the smell of cooking bacon.

Or foot.

Apr 14th 2008

A couple nice background touches I noticed: all the boxes in the garage labeled with "Michael's (whatever)", also when Dwight drove by the babysitter at the bus stop the trashcan had a Keep Scranton Clean sticker on it.

Apr 14th 2008

I didn't like the sleeping at the foot of the bed thing because, like Asd said, it seems to me that even he would either hit the floor or or the couch within a couple of weeks. I started thinking about him waking up every morning at six and going into work exhausted and with a crick in his neck and cramps in his legs . . . and I just didn't buy it. Thinking about the realities of the thing killed the funny for me.

The same thing happened with the vascectomy joke. I started thinking about the following two things:

1. We would have noticed. Michael & Jan have been together for a year, give or take; we've had two long breaks in there, but at least one of these vascectomies (god, never thought I would pluralize that word) would have happened while the show was going on. I know people who have had this operation; it is not something you have and then just waltz around work like nothing's happened.

2. There's no way they'd let you have three of them so quickly.

And by the time I was done thinking about those things, I wasn't prepared to laugh. They're jokes that might have worked on another show, but they ran into a wall of "this is supposed to be real" on The Office, at least for me.

Apr 14th 2008

Michael wasn't sleeping at the foot of the bed during the Deposition--the diary was hidden under "Jan's side of the bed," presumably so he wouldn't have to sleep on the lump. That is a much funnier joke about sleeping arrangements I think. I'm pretty sure that Jan already had her workspace and her office by the deposition, so I suppose the bench could be Michael's punishment for wrecking that.

We do assume that Jan didn't win, right? I've been assuming.

Apr 14th 2008

There's no way they'd let you have three of them so quickly.

I also didn't think this joke was very good, and for the same reasons. Is it even physically possible?

Apr 14th 2008

It is physically possible, yes.

Apr 14th 2008

I can see the bench thing. Jan complains because she needs space in bed, Michael does anything to keep her happy, but instead of sleeping on the couch, he wants to stay in the bedroom because his romantic side tells him that he should be sharing a bedroom with his mate. She probably never ordered him to the bench, he's just trying to make her happy in his sad way.

Apr 14th 2008

The whole thing about Michael sleeping on the bench is to show how controlling Jan is over Michael. Jan has taken over everything in that house. She threw him out of his bed, changed all of the decor, is storing all of his stuff in boxes, took over both auxillary bedrooms and all that's left for his personal space is some plastic chairs in a cold, dark garage. She also decided who he could invite for dinner. I'm certain that she only invited his friends so she could recruit investors. You could tell that Michael was not the least bit interested in Jan's business but like a puppet he did what she told him to do. Who else would have three vasectomies during the relatively short time that they've been together?

Jan is used to being Michael's boss and she has not given up that role in their relationship.

Apr 14th 2008

Jinx: I agree. That's a good peek into the scary, sad place that is Michael's psyche.

Apr 14th 2008

I feel like we got the message that Jan was in charge without a joke about Michael sleeping on a ludicrously small space. Jinx's explanation is something that had occurred to me, but I still don't buy it, really.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. ...