Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.11 Night Out
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. ...
  13. 24
  14. >
451 to 480 of 713
Apr 26th 2008

This comment by Brian from Dinner Party thread triggered a thought about Jim’s recent behavior with Pam. Maybe Jim is very dependent on Pam and looks to her as his girlfriend for either an escape from, or assistance in undermining an uncomfortable situation. Or maybe, since Pam acts as Michael’s secretary/caretaker, he is assuming she would have taken care of some things that are falling on Jim's shoulders. Whatever it is, Pam doesn’t seem too keen on it.

I like the idea that he might be overdependent on her to alleviate his unhappiness with the job, but not the execution of this particular scene. The thought that he would expect Pam to treat him like she treats Michael is the kind of thing I would not like to see.

Apr 26th 2008 edited

I don't know why they picked Brenda [in The Carpet].

The writers didn't have much choice. Who else could Jim have called? Not any of the women in the office or warehouse, not Jan. Let's see, outside DM, the only women he's met were the Hooters waitress and um... that's about it. (He's definitely not going to call Katy, and he didn't meet the cleaning lady who scrubbed it into the fibers of the carpet or the nurse who treated Dwight's injury or Alyssa from Dwight's dojo or...)

Oh wait, he met Pam's mom. There ya go. He could've asked out Pam's mom. I hear she's his type.

Apr 26th 2008

Or Madge.

Apr 26th 2008

Oh wait, he met Pam's mom. There ya go. He could've asked out Pam's mom. I hear she's his type.

Now that would have been an interesting plot twist.

Apr 26th 2008

I saw this at Office Tally and laughed.

And now Jim has a reason to hate Toby just as much as Michael. Pam definitely has power over men. She caused one guy to cry and move to Connecticut, and another guy to throw himself over a fence and move to Costa Rica. All while wearing sensible shoes! Girl has got some super powers.

Apr 26th 2008

This is something I've always wondered about too. Not just for The Office, but for all movies & shows. Like when a part obviously exists just for a fat ugly person, does the casting call say "Needed: extremely overweight and unattractive person needed for role where your only purpose is to be humiliated. Must provide head shot."?

Pan, maybe you can assist us in this, Not that you would ever be described as anything like ths, just that you are in the biz.

Apr 26th 2008

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread already but did you guys notice BJ trying to hold in a laugh when Michael says "TDB"? You can see BJ's face change a little and you can definitely tell he's trying not to break.

Apr 26th 2008 edited

I think you see some of it too when he then turns his face to Michael - like, he's already smiling.

Apr 26th 2008

Mindy's Q&A has been posted over at OT.

Apr 26th 2008

Wow. Mindy is a really good interviewee. She gives a lot of background information without spoilers or boring nonsense. I'm impressed.

Apr 26th 2008

did you guys notice BJ trying to hold in a laugh when Michael says "TDB"

Yeah I noticed that too. I have trouble holding my smile even after watching that scene many times. I don't think I'd make a very good actor.

Apr 26th 2008 edited

Mindy's Q&A has been posted over at OT.

Mindy gave some insight about Jim and his "cowardly" tendencies, Toby's "moment" and if Jim is turning into Michael.

Also, did anyone notice that Meredith had a huge red scrape on her face? It was very prominent when they were in the vestibule waiting for Hank to show up.

Apr 26th 2008

Mmmmmilf!

Couldn't they just have invented a girl for h im to call with like two lines of explanatory dialogue? Add a third line and poof! She's pretty, unlike Brenda.

Apr 26th 2008

did you guys notice BJ trying to hold in a laugh when Michael says "TDB"

I noticed that too. For some reason, when the actors break, or it looks like they're going to, it makes the scene that much funnier for me.

Apr 26th 2008

Phew! That was a lot of reading. That should be a lesson to me never to get behind again.

I was going to comment on the Brenda thing but Lemonade took the words out of my mouth. The only other thing I will add is that it didn't really matter what Brenda looks like. That's irrelevant. She was just a means to an end. This is what Jim does when he has a bad Pam day. Remember that Jim said that Katy wasn't his type either, but he still asked her out after seeing Pam and Roy being playful.

It seems that the Toby knee caress has turned into the main topic of conversation from the episode. Here's my two cents:

Toby seemed so comfortable in doing it at first. It wasn't until he lingered that it got creepy. Since he seemed so comfortable, I concluded that Toby has been spending much of his time fantasizing about Pam; so much time, that when he and Pam were laughing about Michael, Toby forgot that he was in the real world and he overstepped the boundaries. When everyone started staring, he came back to the real world and the gravity of what he had done , hit him. There was nothing he could say or do to change what had happened so he reacted with a flight response. Toby wasn't trying to be skeevy. He just got carried away in the moment.

Apr 26th 2008

ToasterOven- I agree partially about Toby fantasizing about Pam and getting carried away, but even though he knew what he did was wrong, as Toby himself said in Sexual Harassment, "intent doesn't matter." Pam seemed more confused than shocked by his action. And Jim was a little confused by it, I think. I don't think Pam will sue him for sexual harrassment but the leg massage was grounds for a lawsuit in our litigation happy country. But I don't think Pam's the type. Jim's so easygoing he won't pull a Roy on Toby and given Jim's disdain for confrontation may not even confront him about it.

Apr 27th 2008

TO! Where you been, sista? I miss your commentary.

Apr 27th 2008

TO! Where you been, sista? I miss your commentary.

Thanks, Lemonade. We had company over and it's hard for me to do too many things at a time. I felt like I had to entertain them and keep my house incredibly clean and take them places. I logged on at NA a few times but it took me so long to catch up on the posts that I couldn't post myself until three days later.

Did you go on your cruise yet? I think you did. How was it? I'm leaving for my Alaskan cruise in a month. Also Limonade, did you ever meet up with BTF?

Apr 27th 2008

Did you go on your cruise yet? I think you did. How was it?

Yes, it was so nice and relaxing. I want to go on another one already. We want to do the Alaskan one so I definitely want to hear what you think of it.

Also Limonade, did you ever meet up with BTF?

Yeah. I think she came down here a week before we left for the cruise. We had so much fun and it wasn't weird at all. We had lunch one day and then, since we had fun, we decided to hang out the next night. It was pretty cool. We talked about it a little here and here.

Apr 27th 2008

We want to do the Alaskan one so I definitely want to hear what you think of it.

I will also be waiting patiently to hear about this!

Apr 27th 2008

The only other thing I will add is that it didn't really matter what Brenda looks like. That's irrelevant. She was just a means to an end. This is what Jim does when he has a bad Pam day.

I can't argue with your reasoning, but I should point out you are not superficial. I think a few of the guys here might agree that trying to get your mind off Pam by calling Brenda is a little like trying to get your mind off chocolate ice cream by eating your shoe.

Apr 27th 2008 edited

Brian, I just read your recap of Night Out and I loved this:

"Back in Scranton, things are getting snippy between Jim and Pam. This didn’t worry me, but I’m married. I know that tone. It’s the sign of a healthy relationship. Still, Jim should stop talking when he hears it. Just to be safe."

Apr 27th 2008 edited

I watched NO again and caught a sweet moment between Jim and Michael. The first time I was just taking the whole scene in and laughing at it and missed it.

Michael: It’s not the horniness, it’s the loneliness, Jim.

Jim: I know.

I love those moments between Jim and Michael where they connect and relate to each other like no one else can.

I also loved this with Pam aka FNB:

Michael: Everybody, I will see you tomorrow, Saturday morning, probably wearing the same clothes that I am wearing right now, if you catch my drift.

Pam: We get it.

Apr 27th 2008

Great recap Brian. I should be mad at you for calling me superficial, but, you're right.

Something I don't think I've seen mentioned yet - Michael's "That's still going on?" to Jim about him & Pam. Michael's typical cluelessness, or something deeper?

Apr 27th 2008

Something I don't think I've seen mentioned yet - Michael's "That's still going on?" to Jim about him & Pam. Michael's typical cluelessness, or something deeper?

Michael is way too self-absorbed to be able to distinguish how other folks relationships are going. I was wondering if that was a subtle hint that the timeline has jumped forward a few months since Chair Model.

Apr 27th 2008

That just seem so odd coming from Michael, the guy who told Jim to "never give up", and who counseled him at the paper convention and who was "soaring with the eagle's nest" when he found out about them dating. I hope it's just his cluelessness.

Apr 27th 2008

Thanks Madge. I'm the voice of experience on shutting up.

I love those moments between Jim and Michael where they connect and relate to each other like no one else can.

I didn't think a lot about that at the time, but do you think that was Jim's acknowledgment that he knows what it's like to be lonely and horny and that he knows the loneliness is the worst part?

And thanks AMJ, but when'd I call you superficial?

Apr 27th 2008

I didn't think a lot about that at the time, but do you think that was Jim's acknowledgment that he knows what it's like to be lonely and horny and that he knows the loneliness is the worst part?

That's what I got from it. Jim said "I know" in a quieter, understanding tone.

Apr 27th 2008

I thought the same thing when I saw that scene. Like it was a mini flashback in his mind to where he once was....

Apr 27th 2008

And thanks AMJ, but when'd I call you superficial?

Oh, I was just goofing on myself, I was one of the people upthread who talked about Brenda not being attractive, my comment was a response to this comment of yours:

I can't argue with your reasoning, but I should point out you are not superficial. I think a few of the guys here might agree that trying to get your mind off Pam by calling Brenda is a little like trying to get your mind off chocolate ice cream by eating your shoe.

And I'll admit to being superficial.

That's what I got from it. Jim said "I know" in a quieter, understanding tone.

I also didn't pick up on this right away, I don't think I even heard Jim say the line, but I agree it's a nice moment and acknowledgment of the rough times Jim went through.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. ...