Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.11 Night Out
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. ...
  13. 24
  14. >
481 to 510 of 713
Apr 27th 2008

I picked it up when I saw it yesterday. Jim's tone changed and you saw that he kinda felt for Michael.

About, Michael saying "that's still going on?", I just took that as Michael being really absorbed into his own life and trying to find a replacement Jan that he doesn't even realize or care about what's going on around him at the moment.

Apr 27th 2008

That's what I thought too. He's been too busy thumbing through catalogs.

Apr 27th 2008

This is something I've always wondered about too. Not just for The Office, but for all movies & shows. Like when a part obviously exists just for a fat ugly person, does the casting call say "Needed: extremely overweight and unattractive person needed for role where your only purpose is to be humiliated. Must provide head shot."?

Well, I can tell you what I know...Thanks for tossing the question over to me, Ads!

I haven't done a lot of auditioning, but I"m friends with a lot of actors. It's the actors' business to know their type, and if you're a brave soul willing to keep on trying to act when you don't fit the norm of beauty, you have to develop a thick skin. It's a terrible cliche in Hollywood, but it's also true. If you're going to survive, you have to be completely comfortable with the roles you'll be up for as well as the roles you'll get cast in.

That said, I understand from friends who work at talent agencies that when a call comes in looking for "Ugly Hispanic Guy," they send out photos of ugly Hispanic guys who probably don't know that those words in particular were used in the original part description. Kind of the difference between being blunt and being rude. Sometimes you can't tell the difference, but many people try to not be totally unkind.

The biggest audition I've ever gone out for was actually for a part described to me as looking for a "very specific type." I got the script and I could very clearly figure out that the part was for a girl who's tall and Hollywood Fat but still cute enough to hit on at the end of the episode. I showed up for the audition and I finally understood my "type." When you walk into a room and the women surrounding you look like a bunch of variations on a theme, you can figure out where you fit. I was actually kind of flattered -- there were some really attractive ladies there. Much, much hotter than you'd suppose from the script.

But that's the trick in "the biz"...you've got to realize that a lot of what's going on around you is totally effed, and just try to not take it personally. Otherwise, you have to find other work.

Apr 27th 2008

Oh, and: if you're getting paid to be the fat bridesmaid who can't fit into her dress, you're getting paid to be an actress. And I think most actors in this town would take that check.

Apr 27th 2008 edited

Hollywood Fat

That's funny. What does that translate to, anyway? More than 100 pounds?

Apr 27th 2008 edited

the guy who told Jim to "never give up", and who counseled him at the paper convention and who was "soaring with the eagle's nest"

I would take this into consideration, but I've always felt, in those situations, that Michael is an odd mix of two things:

1. An incredibly sweet person who thinks the best of people and is always says what he feels.

2. Someone who, when in a situation is always thinking "wow how can I make a moment out of this"

Michael identifies certain people as cool, once your in that group (as is Jim) he's going to look for any opportunity at all to have a special, touching "I understand you and you understand me" moment. Cause that's what he gets off on, and he's just looking to ride that feeling out till the next moment comes along.

That being said, in those situations, Michael is looking for that moment, so he's going to naturally say things that he's 100% means, but isn't really paying attention to, because he's distracted by the fact that he's getting the "I'm the sage" moment he loves so much. I guess in a weird, twisted way, he's really always just looking for that "dare to get others to be great" situation.

But that's just my opinion.

Apr 27th 2008

Pan, those are some awesome insights. I could not stomach that life, even if I wasn't likely to be competing for Clooney/Pitt-type roles.

I like Jim's acknowledgment of the lonely/horny comment even more now because I can totally see how he would have been thinking the loneliness was worse but he would also have to admit that there were a lot of times when he really wanted to get on Pam and was frustrated by circumstances.

Apr 27th 2008

griefbone, you're pretty much right on that one. I'd say that "Hollywood Fat" starts at being "average build."

On Buffy the Vampire Slayer, when they cast Amber Benson as Tara, a lot of people out on the internet said she was too fat. Her response, to paraphrase, was "I weigh 115 pounds. I'm just standing next to women who weigh under 100." That's a pretty good picture of TV's skewed perception.

Apr 27th 2008

And the weird thing about the thinness perpetuating Hollywood is that the large majority of guys don't find the super skinny look that attractive. When I talk to friends about it we all agree that we prefer a woman to have some curves.

Apr 27th 2008

Dwight finally said "Question:" again. It had been way too long since that had happened.

Apr 27th 2008

I know, I was so happy to hear him say that again.

Apr 27th 2008

the large majority of guys don't find the super skinny look that attractive. When I talk to friends about it we all agree that we prefer a woman to have some curves.

Word.

Apr 28th 2008

Can someone tell me exactly when Toby made out with someone in front of Pam? I heard a lot of mention about that in this thread but I don't remember it even though I've seen every episode many many times.

Was it during a deleted scene or something? I can't watch them from here in Japan...

Apr 28th 2008

Hey, FloatingAndy, you can check out the scene in question here.

I know the frustrations of not being able to view the deleted scenes. That is, I knew the frustrations until I found this girl's Photobucket page. I say girl because of all the John Krasinski photos she has... But I could be wrong. Anyway, she/he puts up all the deleted scenes as they come out.

Enjoy!

Apr 28th 2008

This is going to sound weird (even for me) but a few minutes ago I finished watching Night Out. For the first.

Now before you all vote to revoke my NA membership, let me explain. First, I was incredibly busy last week. The way Catholics celebrate Holy Week is nothing compared to the way the Orthodox do it. Many very long services. Beautiful, but exhausting. That, and the fact that the parish's usual cantor was out of town for the whole week, so I was asked to take over. Yikes!

It went really well, though.

That all being said, there's another reason why I never got around to swinging by NBC.com and watching the eppy. I was so concerned that the writers really had been setting up some JAM-angst in Chair Model that I couldn't bring myself to watch it, in case something really distressing happened that would take my mind out of my game.

I now have a better insight into how all you guys felt during S3 when you were watching all the bad stuff unfold week after week, with no knowledge of the Happy Ending to come.

Apparently, the words "just a TV show" have no meaning for me.

Apr 28th 2008

Oh. Bye the way. The Michael/Dwight/Ryan stuff was awesome! The Scranton Clustterfuck was...really, really cringe-worthy. And I'm going to try to wipe the memory of the "pass-the-buck" deleted scene from my memory.

Apr 28th 2008

You know what one problem with that episode was, from a realism stand-point? Shank locks like that are actually not that hard to break.

Also, why did no one call the cops? That's what you do if you lock your keys in your car - and they couldn't get Scranton's Finest to get them out of a locked parking lot?

I'm sure this has been discussed already, but I simply don't have time to read through 17 pages of comments. :-)

Apr 28th 2008

It was also pointed out that Phyllis could have easily called bob.

Apr 28th 2008 edited

It was also pointed out that Phyllis could have easily called bob.

Excellent point. Also, Kevin and Nard-dawg are now totally in with the 5 Families, so the situation is really very unrealistic once you give it some thought.

It still may be the single most painful Jim episode of the entire series. Makes Survivorman look like Office Olympics.

Apr 28th 2008 edited

Also surely Creed would have surely solved the problem:

a) by having thieved a spare key to begin with especially if he is living in the office as has been alluded to in previous episodes

b) by breaking the lock using valuable skills learned thieving

c) by using his 'contacts' to come and let them out

He would probably have done all those things on the down low and only got himself out. But maybe he was just enjoying the entertainment of it all.

Apr 28th 2008

Also, what happened on The Client when they stayed behind waiting for Michael? The parking lot was open that night.

And I'm going to try to wipe the memory of the "pass-the-buck" deleted scene from my memory.

That is the only rational response.

Apr 28th 2008

The one god thing is that the Cleaning Crew Rescue scene came well after the Evil Deleted Scene - and Pam was sleeping with her head on Jim's shoulder. So...doesn't look like there were any lasting ramifications.

And that got me thinking - they've been together quite a while, now. They're past the hyper-romantic, my Beloved is perfect stage. They've seen each other at their less-tahn-best, and have annoyed each other occasionally. And they still seem very much in love, and very committed to each other.

I guess they have what you'd call a healthy, normal relationship.

I wonder what that's like?

Apr 28th 2008

I really feel god in this thread today.

Apr 28th 2008

Ooops. Must be a religion-hangover from this past week.

I think I'm going to leave that typo as-is. Wouldn't want to spoil Asd's follow-up.

Apr 28th 2008 edited

Yes! (I'm not that attached to it. I'll gladly edit that and this if you wanted to fix it)

Apr 28th 2008

I guess they have what you'd call a healthy, normal relationship.I wonder what that's like?

Ditto that my friend.

Apr 28th 2008 edited

It's kind of a bummer that Kaling didn't address all the parking lot plot hole questions in her officetally thing.

Apr 28th 2008

I guess the writers didn't want to encourage too much thought about that little problem.

So, here's a question for the forum: what else could have gone wrong that night to make Jim look like a doofus and get the rest of the group mad at him that would not have involved so many errors and inconsistencies?

Apr 28th 2008

It's kind of a bummer that Kaling didn't address all the parking lot plot hole questions in her officetally thing.

Maybe it'll come up on the DVD commentaries? I was thinking about buying the DVDs but I think the UK region ones don't have all the special features on...do you think if I have a Playstation 3 it will play US region discs?

Apr 28th 2008

Maybe it'll come up on the DVD commentaries?

Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect that to happen. I don't remember too many times where they have addressed plot holes in the past. The "when did Jim find out Pam called off the wedding" and "how did Jim's transfer to Stamford go" were never touched on the DVD's leaving obsessives like us to speculate endlessly.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. ...