Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
And when it happens, it's going to kick your ass. So... stay sharp: Proposal Stories
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. >
1 to 30 of 126
Apr 22nd 2008 edited

In honor of Brian sharing his proposal story, I am creating this thread so we all could share our stories.

It'll take me awhile to write down my hubby's so I'll leave this open for you guys to share as well.

Apr 22nd 2008 edited

We'd been talking about it for a couple of months. Like, we'd had The Conversation, and then a couple of subsequent Conversations. Then one Saturday (as I recall) we both sorta woke up in a gettin' married kind of mood. So we went to Nevada.

Mrs F would probably tell you a different story.

Apr 22nd 2008

Let’s see. It was our anniversary and he took me out to dinner to this really nice restaurant in Scottsdale at some resort. We got all dressed up and it was just a really nice dinner. We finished dinner and then we walked around the resort a little. It’s a huge resort that has a waterfront area where they do gondola rides. We took a gondola ride and it was so beautiful because you really could see all the stars. The driver guy was singing some song in Italian. The whole time Tiger was talking, I was really focused to what the guy was singing because Italian is very similar to Spanish so I was trying to see if I could understand what he was saying. So, Tiger keeps talking and talking and I suddenly start to see him stammering with his words so I start paying more attention and then I see him feeling his pocket and reaching in there. I started getting butterflies in my stomach when I realized what was going on. If you ask me to tell you what he said, I wouldn’t know what to say because I wasn’t paying attention at first and then when I realized what was happening all that was going through my head was “Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God.” Of course, I said yes…followed with my eyes tearing up and saying “You’re such a nerd”. I don’t know why I said that but yeah, it wouldn’t have been a complete lemoñadé night if I didn’t say something stupid like that.

Here go some visuals to go with that. This is the resort and if you click on “Photos” the first pic is where we were walking around and that back lake area is where the gondola ride started.

Apr 22nd 2008

My wife grabbed my by the head and said (in tears) "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!"

I'm not sure if I ever heard a "yes"!

Apr 22nd 2008

It would take me, like, an hour and a half to tell that whole story. But Mr. Fishing really did an amazing job...his timing sucked (the night before my huge pre-Final accounting test and I was uber-stressed), but otherwise, amazing.

Apr 22nd 2008

All I did was give the mail-order company my credit card number.

Apr 22nd 2008

I'll give him at least an hourly dundie for that.

Apr 22nd 2008 edited

Can't we just combine all the dundies into one day, instead of having a daily dundie. I'll start formulating the memo.

Apr 22nd 2008

Um, Michael? I mean, Andy and the Tuna...

Apr 22nd 2008

Yes, BTF called me Michael. And I will always and forever be haunted by that fact.

Apr 22nd 2008

We were out with my parents for Mother's Day, having drinks at a place that does a lot of events because of its setting. We'd been dating at this point for several years. We all got to talking about how nice the space would be and how good the food was, and it sort of became a let's find out if they're free this year which sort of became a let's set a date.

A few months later, after we set the date, we went away for the weekend to a resort in the desert we'd walked through on a drive to the desert. I was surprised with a ring there. It was very cute. The ring, however, didn't fit at all and couldn't be resized without undoing the setting completely, so I ended up with a different ring more like a regular engagement ring that I got to pick and the first ring was turned into a wedding band, with almost all the stones intact. The other stones (some rectangular sapphires) are in my jewelry box, hoping to be turned into jewelry for a future anniversary without my finding out first.

Apr 22nd 2008 edited

Bonus gifts! Suhweet!

Apr 22nd 2008

We used my wife's parent's rings for our wedding bands. I am glad that it is just plain silver (platinum? whatever). People were telling me I should have diamonds in it, but that's not me. And if I did, I'd always be taking it whenever I did anything, for fear I'd break it. Then I'd lose it.

Apr 22nd 2008

Mine was pretty big, so bear with the length of the post My receptionist (OK, Hairdresser) lived in an apartment at her parents former house (now owned by her sister) in a small town, At the back of their property, a freight train ran by a couple of times a day I always loved trains, and I would run to the back of the property when the train would come by. My girlfriend would just laugh at me, since she had become so numb to the train going by her whole life. She would call me "train boy" So when I decided to propose, I knew the train would have to be a part of it I first thought of just going out to the track and having the ring hidden somewhere out there, Then I thought I about getting the train involved. My initial thought was to see if I could get a large sign put on the train I pass the train yard on my drive to my girlfriends house, so I stopped in one day and asked. The train employees were excited and more than accommodating of my plan. So I picked a date (Columbus Day) a time (Mid afternoon) and made my plans. My girlfriends parents were in town (I had already 'done the right thing' with her dad) and I arranged with my girlfriends work to let her go a little early The big day came, I had painted up a huge white sheet, with huge letters and brought it to the train yard

The trainmaster said there was one problem... My original modest plan was to have her see the sign on the train as it went by Trainmaster wanted to do one better, he wanted to stop the train at the rear of her property. The only problem was the train going out was pretty long and if he stopped, he would block several intersections I was ready to go back to my original plan, but the trainmaster had a better idea, we'll just take a locomotive out by itself and stop it in back of her property/. Oh, and I would be on the Locomotive So we headed out, its about a 3 mile trip via rail from the trainyard to her house. The tracks run alongside a main street in her town. The engineer was great, asking me if I as nervous, if I had the ring... Did I have flowers?? No No problem, we stopped at a florist along the way (who knew my wife) and picked up roses (I kid you not) She didn't even charge me!!!! We made our way down the tracks to her backyard, collecting onlookers, cheers, honks and followers along the way As we neared her property, I manned the whistle, playing it long and loud At her house, her family was eating a late lunch. Her dad commented that the train was making an awful of noise coming down the tracks. My girl shrugged it off, hearing that whistle a million times But the train kept making noise, and they convinced her maybe something was going on, and she made her way into the backyard as Big Blue Conrail # 8139, eased it way up, with me on the rail, above a white sheet shouting my intents to the world... "DARLENE, WILL YOU MARRY ME, RICH (TRAINBOY)"

I made my way down the steps of the hulking diesel train to my shocked girlfriend and got down on one knee.

She was floored to say the least. A small crowd of curious onlookers (about 30 people) some strangers, others who knew the only Darlene in town, as well as friends, co workers and family members had made their way to the backyard to see her say YES! How could she say no!

It was quite a spectacle in her small town. It made the newspapers, it made women adore me, and most men hate me

It cost me 4 cases of beer and a couple of cartons of cigarettes, quite a bargain if you ask me!

TRAINBOY

Apr 22nd 2008

That sounds like a fun proposal, save da receptionist!

We used my wife's parent's rings for our wedding bands.

For our wedding, we used my parents arras and lazo. For you crazy gringos that don't know what they are, they are traditional items used in Spain and in Mexico for Catholic weddings.

Apr 22nd 2008

When put together, do they find water?

Apr 22nd 2008

I had already 'done the right thing' with her dad

Yikes. TWTrainboyS.

I love a grand gesture. Very creative!

Apr 22nd 2008

I had already 'done the right thing' with her dad

How sweet. Before he proposed, Tiger had called my dad to see when he would be around so he could go talk to him but my dad wasn't around so he left a voicemail. I should have gotten suspicious when my dad called my cell asking me what Tiger wanted and I looked at Tiger and asked him "You called my dad? What did you want?" and Tiger got all stuttery and said something like "um, I had a car question". I just thought whatevs. After the proposal, I found out Tiger had to go to my parents house early one morning to catch my dad before he went to work so he could "ask for my hand in marriage". My mom said she was still in her nightgown.

Apr 22nd 2008

For our wedding, we used my parents arras and lazo. For you crazy gringos that don't know what they are, they are traditional items used in Spain and in Mexico for Catholic weddings.

I still don't know what they are.

Apr 22nd 2008

Doesn't Hamlet stab Polonius through an arras?

Apr 22nd 2008

Arras and Lazo. If you scroll down, it describes them.

Apr 22nd 2008 edited

From Hamlet (Act III, Scene iv)

SCENE IV. The Queen's closet.

[Enter QUEEN MARGARET and POLONIUS]
LORD POLONIUS
He will come straight. Look you lay home to him:
Tell him his pranks have been too broad to bear with,
And that your grace hath screen'd and stood between
Much heat and him. I'll sconce me even here.
Pray you, be round with him.

HAMLET
[Within] Mother, mother, mother!

QUEEN GERTRUDE
I'll warrant you,
Fear me not: withdraw, I hear him coming.

[POLONIUS hides behind the arras]

HAMLET
Come, come, and sit you down; you shall not budge;
You go not till I set you up a glass
Where you may see the inmost part of you.

QUEEN GERTRUDE
What wilt thou do? thou wilt not murder me?
Help, help, ho!

LORD POLONIUS
[Behind] What, ho! help, help, help!

HAMLET
[Drawing] How now! a rat? Dead, for a ducat, dead!

[Makes a pass through the arras]

LORD POLONIUS
[Behind] O, I am slain!

Apr 22nd 2008

O, the train proposal is wonderful.

Apr 23rd 2008

I can't beat the train proposal, so I'll just hit you with it, coles notes style.

We got engaged on February 28th, 2002. My wife had told me previously that she needed a minimum of six months to plan her wedding, so if we were going to get engaged the summer of '02, I needed to ask her by the end of February. As the end of February drew near, my wife, who had been pretty certain we were going to be getting married that summer, was resigning herself to the fact that the wedding was just not going to happen that year. We had talked about it, and I had convinced her that the timing just wasn't right for that summer, but the following summer we would definitely get married.

So February 28th came around. It was a Thursday. I had gotten the ring earlier in the week, (the exact one she wanted, size was right and everything). I had to take a day off my teaching practicum to go get the ring, and I remember the teacher who I was working under was upset that I'd miss a day of practicum, and how wanted to know how I would make it up. What a jackass. Anyway. So that Thursday night, we were hanging around in her apartment, and she was getting ready to go over to a friends house where we were going to watch Survivor and CSI. Just before we went over, without much fanfare or flowers or trains going by, I asked her to marry me, and she said yes.

We went over to the friends place to watch TV and we were kinda hoping they'd notice the ring on my wifes finger, but nobody did, so we announced it, and they were all really annoyingly quiet. I don't think anyone said congratulations or gave me a handshake or anything. Losers. Anyway, the we spent the rest of the night driving around and telling our other friends and family members we were engaged. We got married on August 29th, 2002.

Apr 23rd 2008

You are my brother from another mutha. I got married a year later to the day. And on the exact day you were getting married, I was proposing.

Apr 23rd 2008

My husband tried to ask my Dad "permission". We were all out for dinner and when I got up and left the table, he tried to ask my Dad but my stepmom (at the time) wouldn't shut her mouth long enough for him to say anything. Then I got back to the table and he just decided, Screw it. I'm gonna ask her anyway.

When he did ask me, he was ridiculously nervous. He got down on one knee and all he could get out was "Will you?" I smiled and said, "Will I what? You have to say it!" (He did, I said yes, we live happily ever after, the end.)

Awesome story, save da receptionist, btw.

Apr 23rd 2008

For our wedding, we used my parents arras and lazo.

Ooh, I love chicken and rice.

Apr 23rd 2008

Even (probably) really, really old chicken and rice?

Apr 23rd 2008 edited

Okay, to go into a little more detail. Mine's not terribly romantic or anything, but it is spontaneous!

A couple of months before, Mrs F -- then Ms OfthePresent -- called me after work all agitated to "talk about something". To tell you the truth, I thought I was getting dumped. I spent the whole evening shuffling around my apartment getting into a worse and worse mood, and when she showed up, she didn't seem appropriately somber for breaking up, which, rather than cluing me in, just pissed me off. So I started acting all pissy, which, I am told, made her start thinking that I was about to break up with her.

It turned out that what she wanted was to talk about "where this is going". We had been together a little more than a year at that point. I had actually been thinking about that, believe it or not. A lot. I had been thinking about maybe proposing to her at some point in the next couple of months, but the fact is that I was scared to death she would reject me. And I wouldn't have been able to weather that -- I was happier in a good relationship that wasn't necessarily all I wanted it to be than I would have been in the aftermath of having a proposal rejected and the subsequent melt-down. And I was still feeling that way that night, so I didn't say anything about it until she got frustrated and said something like, "Look, I don't think I can stay in this relationship unless I believe it's going somewhere." And out of sheer self-preservation instinct, I said something like, "Dammit, A---, I've spent the last two weeks looking at rings for you!" At which point she punched me on the arm.

Anyway, I hadn't been laughed out of the room, so I felt a little better about the whole business. Over the next couple of weeks we had a couple of more talks just to clarify that I really meant what I had said, etc, etc, but I kept having difficulty finding the right ring and thinking up the right words or something romantic enough to do. Finally, one morning in May I woke up and she was sitting up in bed, and she said, "You know, if you don't propose to me pretty soon, I'm going to have to propose to you." Which sounded pretty good to me, to be honest, but I didn't say that. Anyhow, this conversation went on for some time until it morphed into this sort of thing where we were talking about, if I ever did get around to popping the question, how long it would take for the planning to go forward and so on.

At this point she said something about how she didn't really care if she had a big wedding after all and she didn't think her folks really had the money for one and we certainly didn't and she wasn't interested in putting it off forever just so we could raise enough money that we didn't go bankrupt. And I said something to the effect of, "We COULD just get married this weekend, if you really wanted." I remember I was cooking and she was putting plates down on this little table next to the window and she just stopped and stared out that window for a few minutes and then said, "Okay." It took us about fifteen minutes to convince ourselves that we were really serious about it, and then another fifteen to throw away the food I'd cooked and pack our bags, and then half an hour to get to the airport. Within two hours we were on a plane.

By Monday we were married. Much to the shock of our families and friends.

Apr 23rd 2008

Wow. Just wow. That was amazing.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. >
1 to 30 of 126
Top of PageBack to discussions