Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Word of the day! Word of the Day!
1 to 20 of 20
Apr 26th 2008

Okay I just thought of something: Lets take nominees for a word of the day. Then we all have to chose which word by midnight of that day. Then EVERYONE uses that word as much as humanly possible (on the boards and off) for the next whole day. I've been inspired by CZJ and MB both using "freaky" minutes from each other in two separate threads. Therefore, my nomination for Sunday's word of the day is "Freaky."

Apr 26th 2008

I think a clarification is needed - midnight in which time zone?

Apr 26th 2008

Well, to be fair it would be midnight of Oregon (Pacific) time-zone, for they are the last ones to see midnight out of all of us.

Apr 26th 2008

That's freaky, dude. Oh, it's too early, isn't it? That's okay, it's kind of fun just typing that word. Clearly, I need a hobby.

Apr 26th 2008

Well, maybe that's not the word, just my nominee. If anyone else has them, they have two hours to get them in still.

Nov 12th 2008 edited

There's probably a better thread to put this in, (like the Non Office one) but what the heck. There was a neat little insert in my newspaper today and I saw an opportunity to use it as a teaching tool, so I made a worksheet out of it. I thought I'd share the gist of it with you all and make a little game out of it.

Below you will find 11 lists of five words each. The words are grouped according to their languages of origin. At the end of the list you will see all the countries or geographic areas that the words come from. Your job is to match the words with the country of origin. I will admit that when I was doing up this worksheet I was thinking that you might appreciate it, BTF. I hope that isn’t too creepy.

1. relevant
    plausible
    electoral
    alleviate
    nasal

2. lemon
    tuna
    crimson
    guitar
    alkali

3. mascot
    denture
    ambulance
    expertise
    rehearsal

4. robot
    mammoth
    vampire
    tundra
    aul

5. hinterland
    noodle
    spareribs
    hamster
    seltzer

6. ballot
    ditto
    malaria
    portfolio
    segue

7. bowery
    waffle
    uproar
    walrus
    scrabble

8. jungle
    bangle
    cummerbund
    shampoo
    bungalow

9. ninja
    tofu
    shogun
    karaoke
    tycoon

10. irony
    asterisk
    academy
    sarcasm
    hedonism

11. embargo
    alligator
    anchovy
    junta siesta

Greek, Dutch, Slavic, Latin, Arabic, German, Asian, Spanish, French, Italian, and Japanese are your choices.

Good luck.

Nov 12th 2008

No, why would I find that creepy...? That's...not...creepy. Of course not.

Nov 12th 2008 edited

Oh, come on! Don't be like that! I was thinking, you know, the whole grammar war thing, and Jeopardy, and howyou'relikesohotandyoursmartsaresuchaturnon and what am I saying? Oh crap. Oh crap. Oooooooooooh crap. It's okay if I type this as long as I don't push the add your comments button.

eta. I changed it to make it less creepy sounding. Not this post, the first one.

Nov 12th 2008 edited

1-
2 -
3- French?
4 - Slavic
5 - German
6 -
7 - Dutch?
8 -
9 - Japanese
10 -
11 - Spanish

Other than that I'm lost.

Nov 12th 2008

eta. I changed it to make it less creepy sounding. Not this post, the first one.

I'm glad I was at lunch and missed the first one.

Nov 12th 2008

It's a trick. Those are all American words with the exceptions of anchovy, which obviously is Italian, and denture, which is Floridian. Also...

bungalow

TWSS.

Nov 12th 2008

cummerbund

Yeah, then there's that.

Nov 12th 2008

junta siesta

A coup de nap?

Nov 12th 2008 edited

Greek, Dutch, Slavic, Latin, Arabic, German, Asian, Spanish, French, Italian, and Japanese are your choices.

Looks like a great game, Daoust but...uhm...what's "Asian"?

Edited to fix mis-attribution.

Nov 12th 2008

It's not DftF's game, it's Daoust's.

Nov 12th 2008

No, no, no. Isn't that DC's?

Nov 12th 2008 edited

Okay. Here are my guesses:

1. Latin
  2. Arabic
  3. French
  4. Slavic
  5. German
  6. Italian
  7. Dutch
  8. "Asian"? (only one left over)
  9. Japanese
  10. Greek
  11. Spanish
Nov 12th 2008

No, no, no. Isn't that DC's?

Shun.

Nov 12th 2008

What is the meaning of this? I am, and have always been DC.

As for the answers, I'll reveal them when exactly every contributing member on NA provides their responses. It's okay. I can wait.

Nov 12th 2008

HEY!!!

1 to 20 of 20
Top of PageBack to discussions