Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
4.13 Job Fair
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 17
  5. 18
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. 25
  13. >
721 to 733 of 733
Feb 29th 2016

Pam's second mom

Why wasn't that someone's username here?

Feb 29th 2016

Now I'm going to stick it out and try to pinpoint the moment or episode the show went off the rails. Any predictions?

For me, Season 6 gets off to a shaky start, but the show doesn't go completely off the rails until the 2nd half of the season, when the whole Sabre thing begins.

Mar 1st 2016

I can remember the last really good stretch of episodes was the Michael Scott Paper Company...that was really funny stuff. I don't remember what season, though, and it's too much work to Google it. Much less work to just type here about how I can't remember.

Mar 1st 2016

The Michael Scott Paper company stuff was late S5 and yes, it was the last really good stretch for the show. S6 is only slightly redeemed by the wedding episode, but that early stretch with Jim as co-manager (Scott's Tots anyone? How about Koi Pond?) was abysmal.

Mar 1st 2016

Here's the problem. Jim was always the cool guy, the one we could relate to...he'd look at the camera with an expression that said "see what a bunch of idiots I'm dealing with here?" and we could all relate...because that's how we feel much of the time. That feeling was validated when David Wallace way up in corporate could see how cool and competent Jim was. He was just being held down by the idiots in Scranton.

The problem is, nobody stays unappreciated forever. In real life, he'd get promoted, or else wise up and leave. He for sure wouldn't stay on as the junior salesman for Dunder-Mifflin.

The show could have come up for some reason to keep him around. For awhile it was Pam, but even after getting married, they could have come up with some reason why he didn't go further. Instead, they decided to get some cheap laughs and turn him into a clown. Even his own family treated him like the butt of a joke, and the rest of the office workers suddenly were rolling their eyes at him when he was co-manager. This, to me, was even more of a jarring disconnect than suddenly-athletic Pam.

Mar 1st 2016

when the whole Sabre thing begins.

It rings a bell, but I don't know what this is.

Mar 1st 2016

I'm up to the Holly Flax stretch. The show is down a few notches but still very good.

Mar 2nd 2016

Even his own family treated him like the butt of a joke, and the rest of the office workers suddenly were rolling their eyes at him when he was co-manager. This, to me, was even more of a jarring disconnect than suddenly-athletic Pam.

Yeah, they decided to write for the cheap joke, even having Pam suddenly think it was funny to just let him flail around rather than telling him what was happening in the office. Which was so unlikely it suddenly seemed like we were watching different characters.

The show could have come up for some reason to keep him around. For awhile it was Pam, but even after getting married, they could have come up with some reason why he didn't go further.

This is where the Sabre thing was such a complete waste. They had a setup where they could have divided the office into paper/printers sales with Jim taking one side vs. Michael on the other. That would have made sense rather than a 30 second write off of basically Jim's history to that point.

I'm up to the Holly Flax stretch. The show is down a few notches but still very good.

How's the Pam in art school going for you this time around?

Mar 2nd 2016

It all pays off with that crappy warehouse mural.

Mar 2nd 2016

My memory's fuzzy. I know it ends badly, but it hasn't gone that way yet. Jim and Pam just had their tiny headset phone call, and Pam's art school pal/Harry Crane lookalike just tried to sell her on staying in New York. All good stuff, except for the utterly inexplicable Andy-Angela engagement. That may be the hull striking the iceberg.

Mar 3rd 2016

Ed Helms is a really funny guy. The Office episodes where he is trying to brown nose with Michael are some of the funniest stuff ever. But every romantic or business position they tried to throw him into didn't work at all. It was kind of uncomfortable to see him with Erin. Almost as uncomfortable as seeing him as the office manager. And not the good kind of uncomfortable that The Office excels in.

Mar 3rd 2016

I know it ends badly

Both badly and stupidly.

It was kind of uncomfortable to see him with Erin.

This is an extreme understatement.

Mar 3rd 2016

Almost as uncomfortable as seeing him as the office manager.

That happened? I may keep going out of morbid curiosity.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 17
  5. 18
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. 25