Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I guess I wouldn’t mind a pair of small, well-behaved boys: NAers Talk About Their Kids
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 78
  5. 79
  6. 80
  7. 81
  8. 82
  9. 83
  10. 84
  11. 85
  12. ...
  13. 87
  14. >
2431 to 2460 of 2606
Nov 14th 2011

Mine too, I'm told. If I'd been another boy. Or a boy with another name.

Nov 14th 2011

I've been told that Robin was under consideration if I would have been a girl and not an AlphaMale.

Nov 14th 2011 edited

That's interesting, AlphaRobinJackhammer. That seems harsh, so, to cut the sour with the sweet, DC is really old.

Nov 14th 2011

@!(&^&%$&&^!

Nov 14th 2011

I take it back.

@!(&^&%$&&^!

Thaaaat's the sweet.

Dec 5th 2011

My five year old son loves wearing his Twins baseball cap whenever he can. He came out of his room a few nights ago with it on sideways, and he said, "I look like Justin Beaver!" He must know about him from the girls in his preschool class, because we don't have tv, and I don't even know what he sounds like.

Dec 6th 2011

It's amazing the amount of non-curricular things that kids pick up and bring home from school, isn't it? It's must be sort of strange or weird for them to hear about things at school that they haven't learned yet from home or parents, so it must stand out to them. My kids come home saying they want to watch this show, or join this group or listen to this artist, none of whom we have ever mentioned or talked about, and they just must assume that it's something they want because the other kids are talking about it, and they didn't know it existed, so they want to experience it.

Dec 13th 2011

Nerfy, I love those newest pictures of your kid. And his room. He's adorable. I love the giant gloves he wore canoeing. Kids are weird, but yours seems fun.

Dec 13th 2011

Aw, thanks, Toos.

We forgot his mittens at home the day we went canoeing, so he was stuck with those.

As for his room (which is painted red, green, black, orange, and yellow), I'm okay with it now. I freaked out when my husband said he bought the paint. My son had said he wanted those colors, and I was all, "Ha, ha...okay, whatever." Then it was actually happening.

Dec 13th 2011

We forgot his mittens at home the day we went canoeing, so he was stuck with those.

:-) I remember being a kid and having to wear stuff that was way too big sometimes. It was part of the fun of all the adventures. I love his room. It's so great that you let him pick all the colors, and followed through. When I was a kid, my mom picked this peach color to paint my room. I hated it. Yeah, it matched the furniture and the comforter, but still. It was peach. It just sounded horrible.

They didn't even try to make it sound appealing. Blech.

Dec 13th 2011

Yeah, it matched the furniture and the comforter, but still. It was peach.

So your carpet matched the drapes then?

Dec 13th 2011

Your son's room is very cool, Nerfy. It's like living inside a giant box of crayons. I like his reasoning, too. Smart kid.

Dec 13th 2011

Peach paint. You're going to hate it.

Dec 14th 2011

Today my wife kept my middle child home for the day. She had a friend come visit who has a kid my daughters age. So the kids played while my wife and her friend talked. Then, around the time the friends were leaving my middle child disappeared. My wife went looking for her after her friend left, assuming my daughter had gone to the basement or over the neighbours, as she sometimes does. My wife couldn't find my daughter anywhere. Turns out when her friend got back home and was getting her own children out of her van my daughter popped up out of the trunk! She was hiding there the whole time. So my daughter (this is the same daughter who loves to cut her own hair) will be getting a discipline and will be spending the evening in her room.

Dec 14th 2011

She's an adventurous one, all right.

Dec 14th 2011

I suspect there will be some "life lessons" taught in the Daoust home tonight. Your wife must have been terrified.

Dec 14th 2011

She was. She said that in the middle of her search two police cars raced past the house with their sirens blaring and that just made her even more frantic. When I got home I talked with my daughter, then we just laid on her bed and read a story together before going to supper. I told her we loved her and the reason she was disciplined was because she did something that might have gotten her hurt and we never want that to happen.

I know I dealt with this situation properly. It wasn't a 'get mad' kind of situation anyway, by the time I got home. My wife had already done the disciplining, and I was just there to reinforce what she'd done. I just wish I was able to deal with all the discipline stuff in an equally appropriate tone. More than once I've flown off the handle at my kids for the little stupid things like messy rooms or arguing with each other, and I wish in hindsight that I'd be able to handle those small little situations like I often handle the big ones, with more grace and level-headedness.

Dec 14th 2011

More than once I've flown off the handle at my kids for the little stupid things like messy rooms or arguing with each other, and I wish in hindsight that I'd be able to handle those small little situations like I often handle the big ones, with more grace and level-headedness.

I had a morning like this today. I felt awful. Luckily he's more forgiving than I am.

How old is she? I'm having palpitations imagining myself in that situation. It doesn't seem like you could have prevented. You can only teach her. Scary stuff.

Dec 15th 2011

She is 5. It wasn't really something crazy that one wouldn't expect a kid to want to try some time. She wanted to go back to her friends house to keep playing. She's one of those "strong willed" kids that you sometimes hear about, who basically set their mind to do something and then do it without much thinking of the consequences. That's not necessarily a bad trait to have; we just have to teach her to use it for good and not bad.

Dec 15th 2011

Scary, Daoust. Glad everything worked out okay.

Dec 16th 2011

Very scary, D. My big guy is a strong-willed fella like that. I have found myself frantically crying like a big baby on more than one occasion because I thought something may have happened to him. It is not my favorite.

Dec 16th 2011

She's one of those "strong willed" kids that you sometimes hear about, who basically set their mind to do something and then do it without much thinking of the consequences. That's not necessarily a bad trait to have; we just have to teach her to use it for good and not bad.

Like how to have sex at 16 with her boyfriend in the family room while you and the missus are at church. Because sex is good, right?

Jan 5th 2012

When I read your story, Daoust, I felt scared for you and, especially, for your wife. But I have to admit, too, that part of me was relieved, as in, "See? We're not the only people in the world with a kid like that." Sometimes I'm amazed that such a large collection of parents who are raising strong-willed kids have converged here at NA.

Jan 5th 2012

It's where we go to escape them. Haha.

Jan 6th 2012

I suspect that kids like that turn out to be adult who do amazing things more often than not, for what it's worth. My niece is similarly strong-willed, and my brother is constantly warring with his need to discipline her when he kind of wants to say, "Go for it, kid!"

Jan 11th 2012

My niece is similarly strong-willed, and my brother is constantly warring with his need to discipline her when he kind of wants to say, "Go for it, kid!"

I have this issue a lot. I find myself wanting to pat him on the back for not putting up with his parent's crap sometimes. But then the military-reared kid in me shouts, "But I'M the parent! And he has to do what I say! Because I said so!"

Jan 11th 2012

I suspect that kids like that turn out to be adult who do amazing things more often than not

I believe this, too. And it's not just something I tell myself to make myself feel better. If I can just help him navigate to that fabulous adulthood that's awaiting him...I feel like the path is booby-trapped sometimes.

Jan 12th 2012

booby-trapped

oxymoron

Jan 15th 2012

So, after suffering through another travel season on a 50/50 win team, #2 son got an opportunity to play with a really good team for a short indoor season. They played a one day tournament yesterday and won the whole thing, and he scored some. He is one happy kid. And as any parent knows, that really makes your day. Pretzels with everything, all around.

Also, ditto about the strong willed kids. It will serve them well, but give you gray hair.

Jan 19th 2012

Enjoy every moment, because they grow so fast.

It's an article from Huffington Post about how hard it can be to seize the moment.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 78
  5. 79
  6. 80
  7. 81
  8. 82
  9. 83
  10. 84
  11. 85
  12. ...