Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
I guess I wouldn’t mind a pair of small, well-behaved boys: NAers Talk About Their Kids
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 79
  5. 80
  6. 81
  7. 82
  8. 83
  9. 84
  10. 85
  11. 86
  12. 87
  13. >
2461 to 2490 of 2606
Jan 19th 2012 edited

Nevermind. I'm not firing on all cylinders today, clearly.

Jan 26th 2012

Had an awesome night with the daughter. On the spur of the moment, we took her to Disney on Ice. She's always scared of things she's never done, and in fact we got tickets two years ago and she would not enter the auditorium. This year she had some hesitation but wanted to go. We got there, there were huge crowds and we didn't have tickets. So I dropped my wife and her off at the door to try and buy tickets, then headed for the parking garage. Realized I gave her my wallet, so called her and she had to run out and find me before the line I was in reached the parking garage. My daughter was freaking out, she doesn't like chaos. But we were laughing about it all.

The show was pretty good. My favorite scene was Alice and Wonderland, they had all these skaters dressed as a deck of cards, they had masks on the backs of their heads as well as the front and one side of them was a red card and one side was a black card, and they had some skating sequences where they danced around and shuffled themselves and flipped the cards and were always in numerical order. It was pretty cool.

But the best part was seeing the look of wonderment on my daughter's face as she watched it. She was cheering and bouncing on her seat and waving to the princesses and everything.

Jan 26th 2012

That's awesome, Jinx. That sounds like a cool family activity. Also, I think you should own up that it was you bouncing up and down and waving at the princesses.

Jan 26th 2012

I was definitely waving at Ariel.

Jan 26th 2012

Big boobs, amiright?

Jan 26th 2012

MISS nailed it.

Jan 26th 2012 edited

Which does not mean I nailed Jinx.

(50 points to whoever comes up with that movie reference, slightly paraphrased.)

Jan 26th 2012

Which does not mean I nailed Jinx.

Not that there'd be anything wrong with that.

Jan 26th 2012

A seashell does not cover up very much.

Jan 26th 2012 edited

I was definitely waving at Ariel.

"Look at this rack
Isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl
The girl who has ev'rything?
Look at this trove
Treasures untold
How many wonders can one brassiere hold?
Lookin' around here you'd think
(Sure) she's got everything

I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty
I've got whozits and whatzits galore
(You want thingamaboobs?"....

Jan 26th 2012

My son drew a picture of Ariel a few weeks ago and proudly told me, "She has purple boobies!"

Jan 26th 2012 edited

Nice.

I don't know if it's a stage, or what, but it seems like my kids talk an awful lot about boobies and bums and stuff lately. I'm not saying that's the only thing they talk about, but it just seems like it's a lot. Is that weird? The words are often used as the punchline to a joke. It's like their sure-fire way to get a laugh out of their siblings if they throw that on the end of the joke. Which, come to think of it, is exactly what I do here some times. In both cases, I suppose it's innocent enough, but it does make me think about what it must mean, again for both of us.

We haven't had any kind of 'talk' with our 8 year old yet about much more than the basics of 'our bodies are private' but we both know we have to do so soon. She is hearing things and sometimes saying things that reveal that she already knows a fair bit on the subject, and we'd like to be the first line of information when it comes to that stuff. But it just seems so young! I know we won't have to get into the nitty-gritties of it all, but we know it's time to enter into a discussion about our bodies and privacy and all that stuff; stuff which we've already sat down and talked to her about, but it'll likely have to be in greater detail now than before. The secret, I suppose, is in knowing how much information to give, and knowing what can wait. These are interesting waters into which we now wade as parents. I hope we don't screw it up.

Jan 26th 2012

It's like their sure-fire way to get a laugh out of their siblings if they throw that on the end of the joke.

That's pretty immature, right?

In your butt.

Jan 26th 2012

I don't know if it's a stage, or what, but it seems like my kids talk an awful lot about boobies and bums and stuff lately.

They learned it from watching you, dad!

My son is 5, and we've explained the basics of how babies are made. He knows about the egg and the sperm, but not exactly how those two things meet.

About a month ago, we were riding in the car, and he said, "Sometimes in bed, I wiggle my penis and it feels good." So yeah, we've had that conversation too.

Jan 26th 2012 edited

They learned it from watching you, dad!

Busted!

That video was awesome, Nerf. Nice work.

"Sometimes in bed, I wiggle my penis and it feels good."

After he said this, did your husband and your son fistbump?

Jan 26th 2012

No fistbumping, but we had a lot of trouble keeping straight faces.

Jan 26th 2012

A friend of mine has a great "birds and bees" story about her son:

So my friend K is driving her 9ish son home from school (he's in the back seat of the minivan) and he starts asking about how babies are made and offers up some ridiculous, inaccurate explanation he was given by other members of his class.

K realizes that, though this is earlier than she had planned a detailed talk, she really needs to give him the basic story so he will have correct information. Luckily, her 6 yr old daughter was at a friend's house.

So K goes through the whole thing while they're driving along, being very careful to use proper terms and to make it very matter of fact. When the actual description of the physical act gets done, his response is "Ewwww, gross."

She assures him that, when he is older, it won't seem that bad.

There is silence for a few miles, and then he pipes up from the back seat. "Oh my God, you and Dad did that TWICE?!!?!"

She said she bit her lip, and barely managed not to burst out laughing.

Jan 26th 2012

Oh my God, you and Dad did that TWICE

That's what we tell our kids. Little do they know that the total is 10 times higher than that. Suckers.

Jan 26th 2012

looks around at all my brothers and sisters

OH MY GOD!

Jan 26th 2012 edited

That is awesome. We had to have the talk with our 8-year-old a while back. And since then every time he asks me a question, I just answer it. He's got a great book "How My Body Works" that is pages and pages of cool stuff on the central nervous system and your skeletal system and stuff. It also has a few pages on the reproductive system(s). It's entirely accurate and I'm glad for it. I'd hate to have to search that on google with him standing there.

Mar 8th 2012

From my 11-year old daughter's FB page:

OMGOSH! Me and my whole school got to see President Obama! XD

After the President left Freightliner yesterday, the motorcade looped around in front of her school, where everyone was standing near the roadside. He rolled down his window and waved to the kids. I thought that was pretty cool.

Mar 8th 2012

She's FBing at school?

Mar 8th 2012 edited

11-year old daughter

Huh. I thought you only had boys. I need to start paying attention.

Edit: Never mind, I'm getting you mixed up with TTP again.

Mar 8th 2012

She's FBing at school?

No, that was posted when she got home.

Mar 8th 2012

Yeah, for some reason I have a hard time keeping STT and TTP straight. I just got it straight in my head that STT is a male and TTP is a female, perhaps a little older. Both have kids. Is there something else you can tell me about yourselves that will put a mental image in my head? We all have a "thing". One sentence that stereotypes us and puts a label on us. Like Daoust is Canadian. griefbone is a lawyer and likes Bloodsport. Jinx is tall and handsome.

Mar 8th 2012

Me, too. I think it's all the Ts.

Mar 8th 2012

Like Daoust is Canadian. griefbone is a lawyer and likes Bloodsport. Jinx is tall and handsome.

One of these things is not like the others.

Mar 8th 2012

Lawyers, Bloodsport, height and good looks are all good things, right?

Mar 8th 2012

Grrr.

Mar 8th 2012

Absolutely. Bloodsport is the best thing of all the things, though.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 79
  5. 80
  6. 81
  7. 82
  8. 83
  9. 84
  10. 85
  11. 86
  12. 87