Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
The Green Thread: Can you smell the trees and the nature?
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. >
1 to 30 of 130
Oct 23rd 2008 edited

Howdy all! As a former Greenpeace volunteer and now avid recycler, I saw this article on Greenwash and thought you guys might like to comment on it.

But I found there was no environmental thread at all here. So in the spirit of averting major environmental catastrophe, I decided to start my own.

Feel free to discuss all things environmental - use the article as a starting point if you've got some time on your hands to read about how we are sometimes being highly conned.

Oct 23rd 2008 edited

Preemptive strike: No, mtt, you can't start the red thread.

Oct 23rd 2008

Are you sure this thread is carbon-neutral? Couldn't we have recycled one of the other threads that is not being used?

Oct 23rd 2008

But I found there was no environmental thread at all here.

USA! USA! USA!

Oct 23rd 2008

I've been hearing ads from oil heating companies saying that "oil heat is good for the environment" and that "in the past twenty years, oil heating has reduced carbon emissions by x amount". That last part is only true because furnaces are so much more efficient now. I have nothing against heating with oil, but I can just see the marketing guys in the room scratching their heads. "We need to be green. What's green about oil? Nothing? Let's just say it's green. No one will know!"

Oct 23rd 2008

But I found there was no environmental thread at all here.

USA! USA! USA!

See, I was taking the high road and wasn't going to mention it, but seriously guys, what is your deal?

Oct 23rd 2008 edited

Awesome idea for a thread! Love it, mld.

but seriously guys, what is your deal?

Please note that much of this USA chanting is facetious. Also known as ferocious on our boards. We are aware that the US is the annoying uncle who smokes at the dinner table and eats more than his share of the dessert, I swear.

Oct 23rd 2008

We were so busy stacking baby seal carcasses by the furnace in preparation for a cold winter that we forgot. We can't rely on the oil companies to do the hard work for us.

Oct 23rd 2008

See, I was taking the high road and wasn't going to mention it, but seriously guys, what is your deal?

We're the best country EVER so we can use as much of the world's natural resources as we want and the rest of you can make do with our leftovers. Suck on that, Everyone Else!

Oct 23rd 2008

Awesome idea for a thread! Love it, mld.

thanks Anque. I actually did used to work for Greenpeace as a volunteer and now live in an area where everything pretty much is recycled. To give you an idea, the following things are picked up from our doorstep by the local council for recycling:

• food waste
  • cardboard
  • paper
  • glass
  • metal tins, cans
  • plastic bottles
  • gardening waste

We also recycle clothes at a nearby textile recycling centre.

Really all that's left in your bin/trash can at the end of the day are bits of stupid packaging that companies refuse to replace with recyclable material.

Oct 23rd 2008

Great article, Mld. Of course ad agencies will latch onto anything that will help push their clients' products. We as consumers always need to have a critical eye to figure out what is total bs and what is only partial bs.

Yes, I am in advertising. Can you tell at times I'm a bit conflicted?

Oct 23rd 2008

I love that Ithaca recycles as much as we do, but I'd love to have:

food waste recycling gardening waste recycling textile recycling

available as well.

Oct 23rd 2008

Of course ad agencies will latch onto anything that will help push their clients' products. We as consumers always need to have a critical eye to figure out what is total bs and what is only partial bs.

I find that the general public is not at all aware that the main aim of companies (including banks) is not to tell the truth or best serve their customers, but to make a lot of money and serve themselves.

Until people understand that, they'll continue to trust admen and buy, buy, buy.

Oct 23rd 2008

Extensive recycling is the law in my town/county. In our last two places we sorted everything. Yet, my current development recycles nothing. No recycling truck comes by, just the private trash carter. I assume someone's getting paid off. I want to know why I'm not getting a cut for keeping my mouth shut.

Oct 23rd 2008 edited

I don't know if that's true about the general public. We're pretty stupid, but that may be stretching it, P.T. Barnum's quote (or W.C. Fields) notwithstanding.

What 30 Rock did with Greenzo during NBC's Earth week thing was pretty darn funny, by the way.

Oct 23rd 2008

I think it's a good idea if we all use this thread as efficiently as possible so we're not lighting it up all day. Try to post all of your green thoughts in one post and then only light this thread up again if it's an emergency.

Oct 23rd 2008

Nice thoughts single tear.

CGB there are loads of places like that in Britain too. I'm just lucky enough to live in an area that can no longer afford to pay for landfill, so has to take the recycling route instead.

Oct 23rd 2008

Just found this video advertising a rather inflammatory and glamorised, yet somewhat worthy effort by the BBC to get us all talking about oil baby!

Oct 23rd 2008

There are areas in upstate new york where you're driving along and you look over at this enormous hill and someone will say, oh yeah. That's New York City trash. They truck it up here mound it up into a big hill, cover it in dirt and start again elsewhere. The hill is the same size as the natural surrounding hills. Holy crap people! Not only do we have that much trash but we're burning carbon transporting it...trucks and trucks and trucks every day...upstate to bury it. It's so sad.

Oct 23rd 2008

They truck it up here mound it up into a big hill, cover it in dirt and start again elsewhere.

My next-door neighbor is one of those truckers.

Oct 23rd 2008

We have chickens and dogs, so we don't have any food waste. We also have a garden and a compost pile, so no lawn/garden waste.

Other than that, we have the standard paper/cardboard/plastic/glass recycling roadside pickup.

Oct 23rd 2008

My next-door neighbor is one of those truckers.

My dad used to be a binman too. Now he's in charge of recycling.

Oct 23rd 2008

We have chickens and dogs, so we don't have any food waste.

Wait, wait, wait...you feed your dogs your leftover food waste? Please tell me you're joking.

Oct 23rd 2008

My wife does. She's responsible for feeding the dogs. It's worked well so far. The dogs are old and healthy.

Oct 23rd 2008

Lots of dogs eat leftovers. It's totally fine.

Oct 23rd 2008

It's not fine for dog food companies.

Oct 23rd 2008

Or people who have inside dogs. And nice flooring.

Oct 23rd 2008

Depends on the dog, really. Some can tolerate it. Others will let you know fast if they can't. I don't think they're really omnivores like us, but I remember reading how they were initially domesticated in part for their usefulness in keeping human gathering sites sanitary by eating the, you know, waste.

Oct 23rd 2008

They are outside dogs and will eat anything they find lying on the ground anyways...fruit from my orchard, tomatoes from the garden, stuff falling off the compost pile, the dead chipmunk, turds from the rabbit cage.

Oct 23rd 2008

I do not feed my dogs leftovers or scraps. Dogs aren't garbage disposals. I have no problem giving them small pieces of fresh fruit and veggies - as I'm preparing them for my own meal - but that's it.

Your dogs are your business, I guess. But yeah, mine aren't fed that way. And never will be.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. >
1 to 30 of 130
Top of PageBack to discussions