Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
5.08 Frame Toby
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
1 to 30 of 321
Nov 14th 2008
  • Season 5 : Episode 8
  • First aired on November 20, 2008

Summary courtesy of NBC:

AN OFFICE MESS-- A mysterious person in the office has made a huge mess in the microwave and will not clean it up. Meanwhile, Michael (Golden Globe winner Steve Carell) has to come to terms with the fact that there have been certain personnel changes in his staff without his knowing. Rainn Wilson, John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, B.J. Novak, Ed Helms, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Angela Kinsey, Phyllis Smith, Oscar Nunez, Paul Lieberstein and Creed Bratton also star.

Nov 15th 2008

What a ridiculously simplistic plot point. Brilliant. The stuff the best episodes are made of. It's probably the B or C plot, though. Michael's been coming to terms for weeks now, too. Get to terms already!

Nov 15th 2008

What a ridiculously simplistic plot point. Brilliant. The stuff the best episodes are made of. It's probably the B or C plot, though. Michael's been coming to terms for weeks now, too. Get to terms already!

It sounds like a BJ Novak plot...

Nov 15th 2008

So do you think the personnel changes are by edict of David Wallace and this will cause more conflict for Michael?

Nov 15th 2008

I probably mistakenly thought that referred to Holly's exile, which happened without him knowing, but there's a few other possible changes I won't mention outside the spoiler thread. Two of the three I'm thinking of would enrage Michael and both those two would likely come from Wallace.

Nov 15th 2008

I have a feeling that Kevin will make a heated appearance on the microwave's behalf.

Nov 15th 2008

Promo is now up...

Hopefully this is where I'm supposed to post it...not really much of a spoiler if you ask me

Nov 15th 2008

It's exactly the spot.

Nov 15th 2008

Oh geez. Is Toby back now? Was his being paralyzed from the neck down only temporary? Did he get...um...better now?

I don't mean to sound like DwightfromtheFuture or anything, but I can't help but feel negative about this. Is no change in this show EVER permanent? Coupled with Ryan and Kelly getting back together, pretty much everything has fallen right back into place. With the exception of Pam and Jim being back together and the addition of Andy, we're right back where we were in season 2. What was the point of the big goodbye to Toby if he's back now? What was the point of introducing a new love interest for Michael, then getting rid of her after a few episodes? What was the point of Ryan going to New York and becoming the big boss...now to just be relegated back to where he was before?

The whole thing is a sham!!!

Nov 15th 2008

The whole thing is a sham!!!

I think you just figured out the network TV trick.

Nov 15th 2008

SO, is no one else noticing Steve's hair in the this promo and the last episode? Is it just Tiger and I that think it looks different?

Nov 16th 2008 edited

I think you just figured out the network TV trick.

I'm caught in a web of lies and deceit!!!

Nov 16th 2008

I like how they didn't refer to Kath and Kim being a hit in the promos...lol.

Nov 16th 2008

They even said it was nominated for a People's Choice award. This baffles me.

Nov 16th 2008 edited

What was the point of the big goodbye to Toby if he's back now?

Didn't Paul tell a story about a friend who decided to drop everything and move to Hawaii that was the basis for Toby's departure? Wasn't that friend back in a few weeks? I still don't want him back, at least not yet, but I can see how it completes the joke. And yeah, you make some good points.

eta: I'm holding out hope Toby's only back temporarily. Wasn't Paul pulling back from acting or was that just a foiler?

Nov 16th 2008

They even said it was nominated for a People's Choice award. This baffles me.

I keep seeing ads for The Starter Wife that refer to it as an "Emmy-winning new comedy". Since there hasn't been an Emmys since it started airing, how is this possible? Did Debra Messing ever win an Emmy? (And if so, why?) And if that is the case, shouldn't they refer to The Starter Wife as "starring Emmy winner Debra Messing" or something?

Also, I only want Toby back if he stops being such a fucking creep. His Pam crush went from being sad and funny to kind of gross by the end of last season.

Nov 16th 2008

I agree. He better be over it by now. I liked him in the earlier seasons. He'd better not be a creep.

Nov 16th 2008

Also, I only want Toby back if he stops being such a fucking creep. His Pam crush went from being sad and funny to kind of gross by the end of last season.

This is a perfect summation of how I feel.

Nov 16th 2008

But the writers told us we shouldn't think Toby is creepy regardless of all the evidence to the contrary.

Nov 16th 2008

But now they know people found it creepy, so hopefully they'll tone it down. Probably not, though.

Nov 16th 2008

Any group that can be surprised people got so involved with the Jim/Pam story has an infinite capacity to ignore reality.

Nov 16th 2008

I keep seeing ads for The Starter Wife that refer to it as an "Emmy-winning new comedy". Since there hasn't been an Emmys since it started airing, how is this possible? Did Debra Messing ever win an Emmy? (And if so, why?) And if that is the case, shouldn't they refer to The Starter Wife as "starring Emmy winner Debra Messing" or something?

I don't know how I know this, since I haven't watched it, but The Starter Wife was originally a miniseries or TV movie, and she won an Emmy for that. Then they decided to make it a series.

Nov 16th 2008

SO, is no one else noticing Steve's hair in the this promo and the last episode? Is it just Tiger and I that think it looks different?

I guess that's a no, huh?

Nov 16th 2008

I guess that's a no, huh?

Um...it's shorter?

Nov 16th 2008

I think it's longer. It looks weird at the top where he combs it back. Maybe he's growing it out for a movie or something. Nevermind.

Nov 16th 2008

I really hope they go somewhere with Michael being upset with Dunder-Mifflin. I think that would be fascinating, the ultimate company man finally gets upset with the company.

I've assumed for a while now that Toby would come back and look forward to Michael's reaction, but I also wish they would have kept him off the show. I'm tired of all these characters leaving and coming back. That's something I really admire about The Wire, they have no qualms about getting rid of characters or keeping them out of the story for a long period of name, no matter how popular they are. They only care about staying true to the plot.

Nov 16th 2008

Well, in fairness, that's not TV. That's HBO. No wait, HBO is TV too. That slogan makes no sense.

Nov 16th 2008

Why does everyone think that Toby is creepy? Okay, the dude has a crush on Pam, but so does everyone else. Everyone wants a little Pamcakes at one point in their lives. Personally, I moved on to Holly-lujah...

I like Toby though. Yeah, the dude put his hand on Pam's knee, but I didn't find that creepy. I found it hilarious. Remember that sweet guy that probably spent like ten bucks in quarters to win a stuffed duck for Pam? Lol...

Plus, I love Michael's Toby abuse. I can't wait to see him roast Toby in this episode

Nov 16th 2008

Why does everyone think that Toby is creepy?

Short list:

• Seriously contemplating abandoning his child's play in order to come to her art show. If she were actually his girlfriend, that would be one thing. But she's not, so . . . ick.

• Trying to torpedo Jim & Pam's relationship using his bureaucratic powers.

• Grabbing Pam's leg. Also, doing that in public.

There are other things, but as I said, it's a short list.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
1 to 30 of 321
Top of PageBack to discussions