Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Ask him the symptoms…I’m on WebMD: for when you wish you'd taken a sick day
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 32
  12. >
1 to 30 of 950
Dec 3rd 2008

Today I had possibly the biggest job interview of my life - for the BBC Journalism Trainee Scheme. A few days ago I got a lymph node infection. Then yesterday I got a cold. Then I got coughy, sneezy, shivery and generally screwed in the head. Then I couldn't breathe and thus couldn't sleep last night.

I can't believe I even turned up for the interview at all. If I've passed the assessments and interviews feeling this crap...well, I totally haven't obviously. And now I'm back at work and thinking of heading home asap.

Anyone else sick and need a hug?

Dec 3rd 2008

I'm not sick, but here's ((((hugs)))))).

Hoping that all goes well with the BBC regardless.

Dec 3rd 2008

Thanks Nerfy Life. Yeah...it's just the worst thing, knowing that you could have done lots better but you felt like crap.

And as much as it may seem like this is just a personally motivated thread demanding hugs from everyone for me, I just thought it was weird we didn't have a thread for all of us who are under the weather or worried about illnesses or visiting the convalescing etc etc etc.

I hardly get ill at all. Ever. So this is pretty weird. I guess the stress got to me.

Dec 3rd 2008

Sorry to hear about your interview, Mld. Could the interviewer/s tell you were under the weather? Perhaps they'll give you another shot?

I was feeling very crappy yesterday. Low-grade fever, splitting headache, the works. My students were happy, though. They got an unexpected night off from class.

And I'm sure they used the free time to work on their termpapers - which are due in two weeks!

Dec 3rd 2008 edited

Hey mtt, nice to see you round these parts. I tried to make it clear that I wasn;t feeling well - but at the same time, you don't want to sound like a whiny bitch you know?

There is also the problem that it wasn't just an interview, it was also a voice test, a news quiz, a writing test and a group discussion exercise.

I did ok at the news quiz, the voice test and the group discussion, I think. But my writing really goes to pieces when I can't focus - i.e. when I'm sick - so I didn't complete the task entirely satisfactorily I don't think.

I almost feel like writing to the course director and saying that I'm not asking for special treatment but just to say that I was really not at my best today due to being so sick.

And no, there will be no second chance. Thousands of people applied. Only 60 got shortlisted, including me. Only 15 get a place. Scary stuff.

And I'm sure they used the free time to work on their termpapers - which are due in two weeks!

Yeah, like you never left it all till the last minute!

Dec 3rd 2008

"The last minute" is for amateurs! I would wait until way past the last minute! In grad school I was the King of the Incompletes.

Dec 3rd 2008

the King of the Incompletes

I was the Slovene Queen (due to my bizarre language choice). We should have got together!

What's their term paper on?

Dec 3rd 2008

Yes! just got a reply from my boss, telling me I can go home off sick! Woo hoo. Freedom and duvet will soon be mine...

Thanks for all the hugs. I'll be back tomorrow hopefully to check-in as an outpatient and check up on any other fellow afflicted.

Dec 3rd 2008 edited

What's their term paper on?

We've studied three principle schools of ethics: utilitarianism, Kantian deontology and classical virtue ethics. They need to pick one of those schools and use its ethical approach to deal with some hot-button contemporary issue like euthanasia, abortion or animal rights.

We'll see what I get from 'em.

Dec 3rd 2008 edited

Ok...(still here as have to wait 15 until I can go). So is that like if you took the utilitarian approach to euthanasia, then euthanasia of the terminally ill, or for those who wanted it, would be fine?

Unless they served some use to us all in which case it would not be, and then of course there's the issue of us offing pretty much anyone who wasn't of any use to us at all e.g. some criminals, some mentally ill or disabled people. There's a definite need to define what 'useful' is...how far do you go??? The possibilities are endless.

Even if I got that all wrong, I bet I gave it more thought that your students did when you were off sick.

Dec 3rd 2008

Feel better, mld. Although if you're discussing ethics and euthanasia, it seems like your sickness could be worse.

Dec 3rd 2008 edited

Like if she feels so sick that she's actually wondering about the ethics of offing herself.

Lord knows I've been that sick before.

Dec 3rd 2008

Is that when you were sick of Palin?

Dec 3rd 2008

Pre-redacted, because my FBI file is probably fat enough.

Like you mom.

Dec 3rd 2008

Well played, mtt. Looks like you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. Unlike, say, your mom.

Dec 3rd 2008

Hugs to you, mld.

Dec 3rd 2008

We've studied three principle schools of ethics: utilitarianism, Kantian deontology and classical virtue ethics. They need to pick one of those schools and use its ethical approach to deal with some hot-button contemporary issue like euthanasia, abortion or animal rights.

Wow, this sounds really interesting. (not being ferocious)

mld, I hope you're back tomorrow, better than ever.

Dec 3rd 2008

VG don't you mean... nah, I'm kidding.

Dec 4th 2008

Hi all, am feeling lots better today, so thanks for all the hugs. It's a wonder what a hot bath, a frozen cheese pizza and a movie with hot chocolate can do for you! Although I still have a painful lymph node infection.

How is everyone else today? Well or suffering from ailments which need our attention?

Dec 4th 2008

How is everyone else today? Well or suffering from ailments which need our attention?

My butt was itchy this morning but it seems to have settled down. Thanks for asking. No one ever asks.

Dec 4th 2008

My butt was itchy this morning

My empathies. My back is itchy today too. What is with that?

Dec 4th 2008

Maybe your back and my butt went out together last night. I hope they had a good time.

Dec 4th 2008

I was not in need of a tissue until my co-worker came and confiscated my box of tissues because he has a cold and needs them. I have been sniffling ever since.

I should go get another box. (There are plenty.) But that would mean that I would have to get up.

Dec 4th 2008

But that would mean that I would have to get up.

Exactly my sentiments Anque. The fact that I have to get up and walk several yards to the printer is one thing that makes me put off work for ages...another is surfing these boards.

Dec 4th 2008

Are you not wearing a shirt with long sleeves, Anque? That's what the sleeves are there for. Ties, too, for that matter.

Dec 4th 2008 edited

That's what the sleeves are there for.

Then why did god give us the back of our hands? Just to smack our women around with?

Dec 4th 2008

Then why did god give us the back of our hands? Just to smack our women around with?

Nope. Water divining.

Dec 4th 2008

I should go get another box. (There are plenty.)

Wait. You can just go get a new one?

Dec 4th 2008

Yep. (sigh) But I would have to get up. I just got a delivery of office supplies so I'm going to have to get up anyway. Man, they work me hard around here.

Dec 4th 2008 edited

Man, they work me hard around here.

Yeah man I totally understand. In a minute, I'm going to have to go to the printer and collect the stuff I printed off half an hour ago. I mean I've got to earn my wage somehow.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 32
  12. >