Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
If I can get them depressed, then I will have done my job: The serious tirade thread
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 19
  5. 20
  6. 21
  7. 22
  8. 23
  9. 24
  10. 25
  11. 26
  12. 27
  13. >
781 to 809 of 809
Jun 27th 2013

When I was a kid, I went to camp. When something important happened around the campfire late at night, we didn't clap or sing or anything. We turned our palms to the fire to reflect the light at one another, in hopes it would make us all warmer.

I've got my internet-palms turned to the fire tonight, DC.

Jun 28th 2013

DC, I'm so sorry.

Jun 28th 2013

Thanks for sharing that with us, DC, and thanks for sharing that expression of sympathy, DftF. I really like that.

Jun 28th 2013

Some people seem to get more than their share of crap in life. Your brother is probably stronger than all of us put together.

Jun 28th 2013

I'm so sorry, DC.

Jun 28th 2013

I've got my internet-palms turned to the fire tonight, DC.

This.

Jun 28th 2013

So very, very sorry, DC. Life isn't fair and that's proof. Thanks for sharing that - turning my internet palms to the fire as well.

Jun 28th 2013

DC, that couldn't have been easy to share. I guess the only upside is that he has someone like you for support.This is another stark reminder of how precious, yet unfair life can be. DftF, that was a beautiful story, and I also turn my palms toward the fire in empathy.

Jun 28th 2013

I am very sorry as well, DC.

Jun 28th 2013

Sorry to hear that, DC. Thanks for sharing.

Jun 28th 2013

Thanks everyone and especially DftF for that saying. The ceremony was very nice, but still awful if you know what I mean. What do you say to someone whose 23 year old son has taken his own life? I'm not sure I know the words that could help in any way.

Jun 28th 2013 edited

I'm sure that nothing helps.

Jun 28th 2013

My boss's daughter took her own life a few months ago, at age 33. There's really nothing that makes it better.

Jun 30th 2013

I'm sorry, DC.

DftF, that is a lovely expression of support. From now on, I believe I'll always picture us turning our palms towards the fire when someone posts something in this thread.

Sep 17th 2013

While my story is not as serious as the ones above, this past Sunday my cat died, very unexpectedly, and I'm pretty sure I killed her.

Eight weeks ago to this day I adopted a 1-year old cat, thinking my little Nugget might like a roommate since I'm often away 12+ hours a day.

She didn't like the idea, and was all mopey and depressed; she lost a bit of weight, but she was chunky in the first place.

Turns out there is something called Fatty Liver Disease, and it is (a) an issue for overweight cats and (b) can be triggered by stress. Long story short, I didn't read the signs correctly and on Sunday I checked on her after I noticed she was in her hidey-spot for an inordinately long period of time.

She (seemingly overnight, but I realize now it was going on for much longer) had the telltale yellowing of the ears and lips, she was limp, and when I moved her she threw up water and was keening, just crying in pain.

I called a couple of friends, and we got her in the car to get her to the vet to at least put her out of her misery. She died before we even got there, right on my lap.

Folks, if you have cats look up the disease. It is very common, especially if the cat is overweight and middle-aged. Nugget was 4, which is young middle age for a cat. Caught early and treated aggressively, they can survive. Caught late it is a virtual death sentence.

Combined with the dogbite to the face I got a couple of months ago, this has been a pretty shitty summer.

Sep 17th 2013

So sorry to hear all of that, whatevs. I don't think you killed her though.

Thanks for the info on fatty liver disease. One of my cats is way too fat.

Sep 17th 2013

My favorite cat died last summer. He had gotten diabetes, and I should have noticed that the litter box smelled differently and clumped differently for several months. He was finally diagnosed when he started losing weight, but I didn't want to have to give him shots every day, so I tried switching his diet, and other things I read on the internet. We left for vacation for a week, and when we got home he was on his last legs. He seemed fine when we left...and a week later he couldn't even jump up on the bed any more. He hid under the bed, I took him to the vet, and we lost him. I was holding him when the vet gave him a shot to put him out, and it is just the strangest thing to feel your beloved pet suddenly look startled, then go limp.

So, I hear you on feeling guilty. But you couldn't have known that. I did know, and didn't move fast enough.

Sep 17th 2013

Sorry, whatevs. Pets are tricky like that and I don't think you were responsible.

Sep 17th 2013

Thanks, guys.

I should have noticed that the litter box smelled differently.

I did notice that, but I thought it was new kitty's smell and not old kitty's smell. When I emptied the litter boxes after I got home from the vet (and I change both twice a week), the pee in the one she normally doesn't use was neon yellow. It wasn't that color just a few days before.

Live and learn, I guess.

Sep 17th 2013

I'm really sorry about your cat, whatevs. And your old cat, from last year, Jinx.

Sep 17th 2013

Pay attention to your cat pee, people.

Sep 17th 2013

Serious question: how can you tell what color the pee is? Doesn't it just go into the litter and turn the litter a darker gray?

Sep 17th 2013

Unless your cat's like Max. Then the pee goes into the couch. He's a little jerk.

Sep 17th 2013

My litter box got extremely clumpy and sticky, to the point where I had a hard time scraping it off the litter scooper thing. Looking back, it was all the sugar that my cat was trying to get rid of in his urine. Now I know.

Sep 17th 2013

My litter box got extremely clumpy and sticky, to the point where I had a hard time scraping it off the litter scooper thing. Looking back, it was all the sugar that my cat was trying to get rid of in his urine. Now I know.

We even talked about this here. Now, I'm thinking I should take my cat to the vet.

Sep 17th 2013

I'm sorry about your kitties, whatevs and Jinx. And yes, Nerfy, please take your cat to the vet.

Sep 17th 2013

We even talked about this here

Remember when we talked about everything here, even our cat's pee? Me neither. But apparently, it happened.

Sep 17th 2013

I'm pretty sure that was all a dream. Or a flashback.

You did not kill your cat, whatevs. Shit happens, including shitty shit. Very sorry for your loss. That just stinks. My MIL gives her dog insulin shots every day, and he's not so overweight anymore. He was diagnosed with diabetes at least two years ago. To me it's crazy to give a dog insulin shots. I mean, he was already half-blind at only 7 years old. Now he's past 9, svelte as ever after seeming near death a year ago but still blind and still reliant on insulin shots. My dog, I just feed him the cheapest food, never walk him now that we have a lawn I can let him out alone on and I barely acknowledge him except to yell at him to get the hell out of the kitchen. He is healthier than an Olympic athlete and will likely outlive all of us. Except for the blind diabetic dog.

Sep 17th 2013

Sorry about your cats, whatevs and Jinx.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 19
  5. 20
  6. 21
  7. 22
  8. 23
  9. 24
  10. 25
  11. 26
  12. 27