Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Gotta bring home the bucks : Support James and Northern Attack
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 43
Feb 18th 2009 edited

This undoubtedly qualifies as an abuse of power, but I’m hoping you all will let it slide. Besides, I thought you might want to hear about what I’ve been working on for the past several months.

It’s a simple educational game for the iPhone and iPod Touch called Brain Thaw. We (my development house) released it at the end of last year, and we’re hoping it’ll provide folks and their children with a fun way to exercise their brains. You play Newton, a mathematically-inclined penguin, and your goal is to eat numbers that match a given rule (multiples of 5, for instance) while avoiding yetis. That's right: penguins and yetis. Those of you who played Number Munchers back in the day will immediately recognize the premise, although we’ve added a few twists via power-ups and an online leaderboard where you can compete against players around the world.

There are two versions available:

• The premium edition for the low price of $0.99. The price may fluctuate a bit, but it should never be more than a few dollars.
  • A free, lite edition with fewer difficulty levels and no online score submission. If you like what you see, please consider upgrading to the premium edition.

I’ve been asked on several occasions about how folks can support me and Northern Attack, and this is it. Give Brain Thaw a shot and if you’re feeling particularly gracious, leave us a nice review at the App Store. I’d almost say the review is more important than the purchase itself given the value of quality feedback.

Thanks for your time (and cold hard cash), Northern Attackers.

P.S. Incidentally, this is one of the reasons why the Secret-Project-That-Starts-With-a-T has yet to materialize. Please don’t hold it against Brain Thaw, though. Penguins hurt easily.

Feb 18th 2009

I'm downloading now. This is awesome! Wow, I totally remember Number Munchers. Thanks for that!

Feb 18th 2009

Ah!, but I don't have an iPhone or iPod touch. I guess I have to go get one now, eh?

Feb 18th 2009

Yeah, I don't have an iPhone either. I was wondering how I could still support you. I suppose I could still write a faux favourable review though, right? Because what I've seen so far looks pretty awesome. Would that count?

Feb 18th 2009

My Touch died. (Actually, it was murdered.) But I'll download it anyway since we know the developer's work rocks. Hopefully one day soon I'll get to play it even.

Feb 18th 2009 edited

I hope you can replace it, CGB. That really sucks. Since you posted about what happened, I've heard several stories of people getting their phones or portable devices wet and they all recovered because they let them dry before turning them on. I remember your posting this advice, and I'm hoping it's burned in my brain for the inevitable day that I drop mine into the sink or worse.

Feb 18th 2009

My wife took it back to the Apple store today. She's really persuasive, and she finagles deals all the time that I never would because I'd never ask. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I miss the thing and it was really handy. But yeah, letting it dry is the key advice. I'm over the loss personally and would sincerely be happy if others benefited from my experience.

Feb 18th 2009

She's really persuasive, and she finagles deals all the time that I never would because I'd never ask.

My wife is the same way. I hate trying to bargain. We were walking down the street once and someone was selling a very valuable old map in a yard sale for $50. I was reaching in my pocket to get my wallet and she was talking them down to $20. And she knew nothing about maps...but it sounded like she did.

Feb 18th 2009 edited

I'm like you guys. I once went to a yard sale and paid more for an item than was on the sticker. But it was a mint condition Risk boardgame. So I could afford the $5.

*eta something topical: Yeah, James! Keep up the great work.

Feb 18th 2009

I just downloaded it. I'll check it out when I get home.

Feb 18th 2009

Fact: Number Crunchers is the best Apple IIe game of all time.
Fact: I don't have an iPhone/iTouch, so I can't download this game, but I would if I did.

Feb 18th 2009 edited

Ah!, but I don't have an iPhone or iPod touch. I guess I have to go get one now, eh?

Sorry, Anque. This may change in the future as we develop more games, though I'm not sure Brain Thaw will ever be created for other devices.

Yeah, I don't have an iPhone either. I was wondering how I could still support you. I suppose I could still write a faux favourable review though, right? Because what I've seen so far looks pretty awesome. Would that count?

My conscience says no, but the little Dwight sitting on my shoulder says absolutely yes. You're required to purchase an application before you can review it, and although the cost isn't significant, I can't ask you to review something you've never played. Maybe there's a way you can try it out on a friend's iPhone/iPod Touch...?

My Touch died. (Actually, it was murdered.) But I'll download it anyway since we know the developer's work rocks. Hopefully one day soon I'll get to play it even.

Ouch. I hope it was given proper burial rites.

ETA: Folks who don't have an iPhone or iPod Touch, I'd be happy with any word of mouth you're able to provide. Friends, family, you name it.

Feb 18th 2009

Folks who don't have an iPhone or iPod Touch, I'd be happy with any word of mouth you're able to provide. Friends, family, you name it.

Somebody start the "BrainThaw Is The Best iTouch Game!" Facebook Group, and I'll join it when I get home from work. Really and truly, is there a better way to spread the word?

Feb 18th 2009

I'd be happy with any word of mouth you're able to provide. Friends, family, you name it.

There's a joke about someone's mom in there...g-bone's? D's?

Feb 18th 2009

She's really persuasive, and she finagles deals all the time that I never would because I'd never ask.

I'd say 20% off a new one is pretty good, no?

Feb 18th 2009

Pretty really good.

Feb 19th 2009

I'd say 20% off a new one is pretty good, no?

Your wife is awesome.

Feb 19th 2009

Anque is up early.

Feb 19th 2009

Yes. I went to bed early, and got a ride from a friend who goes to work early so it's an early day. Is this not early for you, Daoust?

Feb 19th 2009

I usually get to work at 8 a.m. Atlantic, which is 7 Eastern. I don't think that's too early.

Feb 19th 2009

I forgot. In addition to being in a weird country, you also live in a weird time zone. You're weird, Daoust. Anyone ever tell you that?

Feb 19th 2009

Your wife is awesome.

Indeed.

Feb 19th 2009

I forgot. In addition to being in a weird country, you also live in a weird time zone. You're weird, Daoust. Anyone ever tell you that?

On ocassion.

Your wife is awesome.

Absolutely she is. And I'm not just sayin' that either.

Feb 19th 2009

Are we starting with the wife smack now? Is it on?

Feb 19th 2009

Is it on?

That's what your mom said when I showed up in my Superman suit.

Feb 19th 2009

Is it on?

At least she didn't ask "Is it in?" Pretty sure no guy wants to hear that.

Feb 19th 2009

Especially if the answer is, "It was."

Feb 23rd 2009 edited

I just checked out this thread - I guess I tend to skip the top ones that rarely change. Awesome, James! I love the app. Clean, cute graphics, easy-to-learn game, fun. And perfect for me because I'm a non-math-head and can use some extra muscle-flexing in that area. Very nice work. I toast to the success of the game and of your company! Glad you came here and gave us the heads-up. We need to support James for his hospitality here, folks, and it's great he made it so easy to do by creating such a cool product. Too bad everybody doesn't have a (working) iTouch or iPhone (sorry, CGB) so that we could all purchase it and review. But we can all spread the word.

Feb 23rd 2009

Thanks, garbagethrower, and everyone who's supported Brain Thaw. I recognize a couple friendly names in the customer reviews. Every little bit helps, especially given our low average rating which is strange considering the overwhelmingly positive written reviews. As I understand it, the App Store factors non-written reviews into the average rating which could explain things, though the disparity is pretty enormous. I guess a lot of people out there just really dislike math.

Feb 23rd 2009

I didn't understand the average rating either. By my math, you should have a 4.25 rating, but they have you down for 2.5 (I think it was?). Maybe the folks at iTunes should play the game a little to sharpen their mathematicality.

I guess a lot of people out there just really dislike math.

And yet are unable to express their feelings in writing. They must have bombed their SATs.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 43
Top of PageBack to discussions