Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
5.18 New Boss
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 176
Mar 13th 2009 edited
  • Season 5 : Episode 18
  • First aired on March 19, 2009

Summary courtesy of NBC:

MEET THE NEW BOSS— IDRIS ELBA (“THE WIRE”) GUEST STARS—Michael (Golden Globe winner Steve Carell) has big plans for his 15th anniversary party at Dunder Mifflin, but is in for a shock when the new, no-nonsense Vice President (guest star Idris Elba) has some ideas of his own. Meanwhile, Jim's (John Krasinski) prank on Dwight (Rainn Wilson) has some unexpected results. Jenna Fischer, Ed Helms, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Angela Kinsey, Phyllis Smith, Oscar Nunez, Creed Bratton and Paul Lieberstein also star.

Mar 13th 2009

Wait, how do we have two 5.17s?

Mar 14th 2009 edited

I was spoiled as to the guest star a while ago (before the EW snafu), and am very excited. I hope Omar also shows up.

Mar 14th 2009

Wait, how do we have two 5.17s?

I believe they are showing a re-run and a new episode on the 17th.

Mar 14th 2009

Oh, I meant that the title of this thread should probably be 5.18.

Mar 14th 2009 edited

OH! Sorry! Good grief, the 17th is a Tuesday. Not sure what I was thinking there...

Mar 14th 2009

Doesn't this episode air on March 19th? Have gotten trapped on the island and am now flashing through time?

Mar 14th 2009

Yes, it's the 19th, and I need to go back to bed. It appears that I've had a stroke.

Mar 14th 2009

Yes, it's the 19th, and I need to go back to bed. It appears that I've had a stroke.

Take some aspirin for that.

Mar 14th 2009

Quiet you.

Mar 16th 2009

I heard about Idris Elba's role back when it was announced and have been eagerly awaiting his arrival ever since. I think his arrival is what will finally give the season some direction and really cement it as Michael's season. I have to think he and Michael will be butting heads in a big way. Bringing Elba into the role is one of the most fascinating casting choices I have ever seen. His role on The Wire seems so opposite from anything that would have to do with The Office, but I think he's going to great. He's not going to be providing the humor, the humor will come from how he reacts to Michael. Think early Jan times a thousand. (That's what I assume anyway.) With the introduction of this development, plus the fact that it was written by Eisenberg & Stupinsky, I'm more excited for this episode than I have been since probably The Merger.

Mar 16th 2009

I was really excited when I heard the news, as well, and still am. I kept imagining Stringer Bell interacting with Michael. It'll be nice to see String in this role and I am anticipating Michael being very intimidated by this new character.

Mar 19th 2009

(Oh, here it is.)

15 minutes in and no comments? What's happened to this place during my absence???

Mar 19th 2009

Wait, it's Thursday?

Mar 19th 2009

Seriously, this feels like a pratical joke or something. Where IS everyone? No one had posted in here for the past 3 days!

Mar 19th 2009

Oh, man...geez, you're out of school for three days, and you begin to lose track of the days. I totally forgot this was on tonight. Whoo...this may be the one time I'm glad that I live on the west coast.

Mar 19th 2009

Did that actually just happen?

Mar 19th 2009

Yep.

Mar 19th 2009

That was just painful to watch. The entire thing. The only bright spot was Angela and Kelly. I'm not necessarily saying it was bad, just painful.

Wow. Did anyone expect that? I haven't been reading any spoilers lately.

Mar 19th 2009

I'm still watching, but did anyone catch that Charles came from Saticoy Steel? The show is filmed in a building on Saticoy Street in Van Nuys, no?

Mar 19th 2009 edited

Jim really classed it up, didn't he? I also enjoyed Michael's chair toss when he left the office and Dwight's kidnapping threat. Awesome.

Mar 19th 2009

I really liked it. So many cringeworthy moments.

Mar 19th 2009

I also liked it, though Stringer's habit of taking off his glasses in frustration seems affected to me.
I especially liked how Jim's prank completely backfired on him and all of his efforts made it worse.
Good for Michael for quitting. I don't for a moment think it'll keep, but good for him.

Mar 19th 2009

I enjoyed Jim's awkward moments with Charles up until the ARM discussion. Am I misremembering Jan giving him that position back in S3? Did they decide just to forget that point? Pam seemed to enjoy his predicament. CGB I caught the Saticoy reference as well.

Mar 19th 2009 edited

I don't know what I think, but I think I liked it. I have to gather my thoughts, or perhaps steal some of yours.

DC, that's because you're a Google Earth show stalker like me, right?

Mar 19th 2009

I loved it. Totally cringe-worthy, some great Angela and Kelly, the party planning committee, all great stuff. I I kinda liked it that Michael quit. yes, he was being a jackass and overreacting, but the company has, in many ways, treated him like crap. I wonder how he'll come back. And I always love to watch Jim squirm.

Help a girl out. I couldn't hear what happened when Jim was talking to Charles alone. Something about his position being made up? (Damn people talking when The Office is on!)

Mar 19th 2009

DC, that's because you're a Google Earth show stalker like me, right?

Exactly.

Mar 19th 2009

I thought it was really, really, really good, and showed that they can still do serious very well. Not that I didn't laugh audibly several times, the open was fantastic and the Angela & Kelly crushes were hilarious. Elba was great, as I knew he would be, and his character was exactly what I expected. I hope he is what he seems to be and the writers don't pull a Jan and drastically change him in future episodes. I think his seriousness and professionalism will provide a fascinating contrast to the wackiness of the Scranton branch.

Only minor compliant I have is with Jim. I thought the initial bumbling was funny, but they took it a little far the second time around. Besides what DC said, we've seen him run meetings and be in charge when Michael was out, so he does have duties he could have told Charles about. But I like the idea of them picking up on the potential career crisis for him that they seemed to be headed towards before the strike.

Michael - I started to get a feeling that would happen about halfway through, but I thought it would happen next episode. It's a little hard to get too worked up about it, because I can't imagine the show without him in Scranton, but I can't wait to see how they deal with it. If he really does leave, I hope he stays away for several episodes to give the story more intensity.

It can definitely be argued that it took too long, but this season finally has its' anchor, and I'm very excited to see how it plays out.

Mar 19th 2009 edited

Good, awkward stuff tonight. I especially liked Pam's talking head about Michael's comedy routines relative to how upset he is.

It was uncomfortable to watch, but I also liked watching Jim struggle with the new boss. He's the type of guy who wins everyone over, so it's interesting to me to see how he does when someone doesn't immediately take to him.

Also, Jim in a tux? That was something special for all of the ladies in the world.

Mar 19th 2009

While I like the idea of Michael having a career crisis and leaving for a bit, I just can't seem to take it as seriously as other plotlines the show has explored. He has to come back as Regional manager or the show can't really function right?

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
1 to 30 of 176
Top of PageBack to discussions