Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
5.21 The Michael Scott Paper Company
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. >
1 to 30 of 128
Apr 2nd 2009
  • Season 5 : Episode 21
  • First aired on April 9, 2009

Summary courtesy of NBC:

MICHAEL HOSTS A COMPANY LUNCHEON—IDRIS ELBA (“The Wire”) GUEST STARS—Dwight (Rainn Wilson) and Andy (Ed Helms) strike up an unlikely friendship and plan a hunting trip. Regional Supervisor Charles (Idris Elba) asks Jim (John Krasinski) for a "rundown", and Jim spends his day trying to figure out what that is. Michael (Steve Carell) hosts a Paper & Pancakes luncheon. Jenna Fischer, B.J. Novak, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Angela Kinsey, Phyllis Smith, Oscar Nunez, Creed Bratton and Paul Lieberstein also star.

Apr 2nd 2009

Two episode threads up at once? It's almost like Christmas.

Apr 3rd 2009

Word.

Apr 3rd 2009

It's almost like Christmas.

How is that better than an iPod?

Apr 3rd 2009

Two new episodes on the same day will be weird and may make the story lines seem rushed. But I'm not a complainer.

Apr 3rd 2009

How is that better than an iPod?

I never said it was better than an iPod.

Apr 4th 2009

I never said it was better than an iPod.

Is there anything better than an iPod?

Apr 4th 2009

Two iPods.

Apr 4th 2009

It's almost like Christmas.

Yaaaaaankee Swap!

Apr 9th 2009 edited

Don't forget about this episode just because it airs after Dream Team (It was on the second page...SECOND). OT said that the very beginning should not be missed...duh, like we don't watch cold opens. But still, don't miss it.

Apr 9th 2009

don't miss it

Well, I was going to but now I won't.

Apr 9th 2009

Where is everyone? Are they watching the episode? I got a text telling me the episode was hilarious so far...and I'm still here at work because it's only 5pm. Boo!

Apr 9th 2009

What's a cold open? I plan to watch it on delay as a single hour-long. I hope it flows.

Apr 9th 2009 edited

The cold opening and Toby's phone call in the bathroom were brilliant. BRILLIANT!

Now, someone give a full rundown of the episode.

Apr 9th 2009 edited

Kevin's comment about Kelly's middle name was the highlight for me. I am thinking of setting up a pay-per-view event titled "Ryan vs Charles! The Ultimate Douche-Off Challenge." As I complained in the Dream Team thread, Jim has apparently suffered a massive brain injury and is now a vegetable. It's nice to see that Pam still has some small grip on reality, but I'm sure that 20 boxes of paper is just what the company needed to succeed.

eta The modified credits were pretty sweet.

Apr 9th 2009

My favorite part was when Charles kicked Phyllis in the face with the soccer ball and then she fell into the construction pit and got drunk with Karen and then made a sale to the guy she met at the pancake dinner.

Apr 9th 2009

So watching the two back-to-back may have thrown me off, but I felt like things dragged a bit by the middle of this one. Still I laughed a lot throughout. I also loved the overall Pam showcase. And while I've never rooted for a sitcom character to be killed off before, Ryan needs to be Ed Trucked. He's 28% percent more douchey than Charles.

Apr 9th 2009 edited

My favorite part was when Charles kicked Phyllis in the face with the soccer ball and then she fell into the construction pit and got drunk with Karen and then made a sale to the guy she met at the pancake dinner.

I can't believe Creed and Meredith thought Kenneth was a serial killer!

The episodes seemed to run together for me. I liked them, but I already don't remember a lot about them.

I did like Andy and Dwight's dueling singing/guitaring/banjoing that started as them having fun, turned into a competition, and then back into them having fun when they forget about other Kelly.

And you know what? Charles is a dick, but I don't have a problem with that. Good for The Office for having a thoroughly unlikeable, yet dreamy, character. Also, he likes soccer, so strike four.

Apr 9th 2009

Here's a question, though. What did Jim say about the distribution list? Was he faxing his rundown to his dad? I missed the connection there.

Apr 9th 2009

He asked Charles if he should use his distribution list which apparently consists of just his dad. Jim is now officially brain dead.

Apr 9th 2009

Was he faxing his rundown to his dad? I missed the connection there.

Yes, because he didn't know who else to fax it to. Also, I thought it was great that Pam made that sale, but they didn't get a location from the buyer as to where to send it.

Apr 9th 2009

Loved the new credits, loved the Pam/Ryan bickering, loved Ryan's mom coming to pick him up at the end of the day, thought everything else was pretty blah.

Again, DC I am totally with you, I have no idea what they are doing with Jim's character. How is a guy that was so smooth for most of five seasons - friendly, personable, a good salesperson without even trying, able to score with multiple hot chicks - turned into a blithering idiot all of a sudden? It just makes no sense to me.

Apr 9th 2009 edited

but they didn't get a location from the buyer as to where to send it.

Maybe she wrote it down but just didn't say it out loud. I loved the Dwight/Andy stuff and laughed out loud at the Kelly middle name thing. What is her middle name? Loved the cold open. It's Brittney Bitch! Ryan is a douche but I missed his doucheness. Loved Michael talking code "P is being a B".

Apr 9th 2009

I agree with DC and AMJ about Jim's character. It's painful to watch. It just keeps getting worse and worse. They need to turn that around stat. And stat means by next week.

Apr 9th 2009

It's Brittney Bitch!

Yes!

Loved Michael talking code "P is being a B".

Oh how I loved this.

Apr 9th 2009

So can anyone explain to me where they are going to get the paper they just sold? How about pay for it?

Apr 9th 2009

So can anyone explain to me where they are going to get the paper they just sold? How about pay for it?

And that's where everything just falls apart for me. No matter how good or funny the Pam/Michael/Ryan scenes are, I just can't get over that I'll find any success they have completely implausible. Why does that guy want to buy from them? Because he thinks Pam is hot? That's the only reason I can think of. It's not like they did anything to impress him.

Apr 9th 2009

Michael got quotes from suppliers. He could easily charge the order, which would cost a lot less wholesale than the $860 the new client agreed to pay for them.

Again, DC I am totally with you, I have no idea what they are doing with Jim's character. How is a guy that was so smooth for most of five seasons - friendly, personable, a good salesperson without even trying, able to score with multiple hot chicks - turned into a blithering idiot all of a sudden? It just makes no sense to me.

I understand the criticism but for some reason it doesn't bother me. I guess it's that the fumbling and bumbling he's done lately has been more realistic to me than the previous years of unexplained genius. Sometimes you just get on your boss's shit list, and there's always going to be people who just don't like you no matter what. I expect they'll bail on the story line by explaining how Charles was tougher on Jim because he expected more from him or some such crap. But I'd rather see Jim hit a breaking point, demand Charles's respect and then earn it by doing something kick-ass in his job. Never happen.

Apr 9th 2009

But I'd rather see Jim hit a breaking point, demand Charles's respect and then earn it by doing something kick-ass in his job.

This is what I'm expecting so it's not bothering me at all, right now.

Who was Michael talking to on the phone? His mom?

Apr 9th 2009

Sometimes you just get on your boss's shit list, and there's always going to be people who just don't like you no matter what.

I can buy that Charles doesn't like him or expects more of him. What I don't get is why Jim isn't just keeping his head down and riding it out instead of making things worse for himself. In every case (the tuxedo, the ARM discussion, soccer and the rundown) he has made a stupid error that compounds the problem. This is a Kevin level of stupidity that just doesn't match with what we know about the character.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. >
1 to 30 of 128
Top of PageBack to discussions