Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
"I'm just sad the public school system failed him so badly": The Gardening Thread
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 24
  5. 25
  6. 26
  7. 27
  8. 28
  9. 29
  10. 30
  11. 31
  12. ...
  13. 34
  14. >
811 to 840 of 997
Dec 3rd 2011

I'll keep that in mind the next time. :-P

Dec 3rd 2011

Is everyone super busy this weekend or did I just come across as a perv that y'all'd rather not associate with?

Dec 3rd 2011

Yeah, I could, but it's complicated. I have responsibilities that I can't just drop.

Are you doing anything to change that, so there will come a time that you won't have those responsibilities?

Dec 3rd 2011

Toos, life is too short to live as a young'un in a one-horse town.

Dec 3rd 2011

Are you doing anything to change that, so there will come a time that you won't have those responsibilities?

Yes. But I don't really want to go into it. We've talked about stuff and it's looking like stuff will shake around and be different for us, but there's things we have to settle or commitments we have to meet before then.

Dec 3rd 2011

There's a fine line between funny and "Man that was a dick thing to say", sometimes.

I never know where that line is.

We've talked about stuff and it's looking like stuff will shake around and be different for us, but there's things we have to settle or commitments we have to meet before then.

I have no idea what's going on here, but you should tell us.

Dec 3rd 2011

I think you should make your brother do it. I'm not even really kidding.

Dec 3rd 2011

Take all the advice given here. Sooner than later. If you do, you might regret it. If you don't, you probably will regret it. Either way, worst case, you'd find yourself back where you are.

Dec 4th 2011

The place next door to me has been vacant for a while. There's a pool here, and internet.

Dec 5th 2011

Toosie, do it. If you know or have a strong suspicion the family biz might not be what you want to inherit, or that it might not be there for you some time down the road, you gotta start blazing your own trail. Yes, it might mean moving to capital city and going back to school and/or working a part time gig while taking classes, and those may be scary things to think about doing, but you're young, you're single, you have family supports should you fall on hard times - in short, I think you're in the best possible place in your life right now to make big changes. Clearly you're not happy where you are, physically and metaphysically, so you're already feeling the need for change. But actually committing to it and doing it, that's going to be the most difficult part. However, I fully believe in you and think you could totally do it. So do it! Do it now.

Also, don't shack up with someone. Even if you just need a sugar daddy to help pay the bills. Just don't. You dad and I wouldn't approve. I mean that.

Dec 5th 2011

If you know or have a strong suspicion the family biz might not be what you want to inherit, or that it might not be there for you some time down the road, you gotta start blazing your own trail.

This isn't it. I do appreciate the good sentiments and encouragement...BUT...I really like the family business. I hate the community, though. So, basically, long-story-short, we're talking about moving the business (and the family) to a better market, to more of a city-area with more customers and less of the small-town, good-old-boy network. What we have to do before then is...

1. Dispose of old equipment from our former work.
  2. Find the appropriate location in our new/goal location. (It'll probably be Tennessee or Virginia.)

And I know I could move to Raleigh or Savannah (my dream town) and get a job and make enough cash to pay for an apartment and groceries and a car payment. And maybe steal the neighbor's wifi. But I feel like I'd be giving up some freedoms I have here. The no-man situation sucks. I mean, it's the worst. And the few friends thing gets to me, too. But I've always had few friends. And I don't think moving away from the few friends I do have would be a good move.

But, it's my business, too. I get to do projects I want to do. We host events and sponsor stuff and host and sponsor things we believe in.

The very worst part of this community, and I do mean the thing that's just completely heart-breaking, is I had a friend here that was living with his elderly grandfather while his younger siblings were off at school. And he was farming, doing whatever he wanted to do, with somebody he really loved. And a cousin of mine was talking about him behind his back, saying he was "wasting his life."

Why can't there be younger people here? Why can't there be a business environment here? That's the thing that's upsetting to me. When our family moves, there'll be one fewer business in town, and fewer people active in the community.

And that's what they want, the leaders of the town and county, or at least the old geezers that vote the leaders in. It's better for them if the entire population works for the school system or the town/county government. Then they have free reign over everything, and everyone is beholden to them.

So, yeah, there'll be a change. A big change, but we do have to plan out the next steps and move forward in the smartest, most logical way. We aren't Irish Travellers, you know. It'll take time.

Dec 5th 2011

Can we just go back to talking about sex now? I'm feeling vulnerable after sharing all that and want to talk about something less serious.

:-)

Dec 5th 2011

Toosie, your explanation is very rational and thought out. Do what you want to do - that's the key.

The very worst part of this community, and I do mean the thing that's just completely heart-breaking, is I had a friend here that was living with his elderly grandfather while his younger siblings were off at school. And he was farming, doing whatever he wanted to do, with somebody he really loved. And a cousin of mine was talking about him behind his back, saying he was "wasting his life."

It's the whole "Jim Halpert" syndrome. He's got a less than stimulating job, but he's happy because it makes money and he has his family. But there are plenty of people who would insist he's "wasting his life." Plus people who live in cities think everyone who lives in small town/rural areas is wasting their life - and they're wrong. As I see your situation, the real problem is the lack of possible gardening/romantic interests.

And to bring this full circle at your request, Toosie:

And maybe steal the neighbor's wifi

I read this as "the neighbor's wife" and was surprised because I didn't know you played for that team. Which would be even more complicated in a small town.

Dec 5th 2011 edited

thought out

I've had a lot of time to think about it because of

the lack of possible gardening/romantic interests.

Which would be even more complicated in a small town.

There are more around than you'd expect....well, the dude kind anyway.

Dec 5th 2011

There are more around than you'd expect

I grew up in a small town and I now live out in the country, and I do know of what you speak. But it's still more complicated, because there's no option of those folks coming out. Everybody knows in ten minutes.

Dec 5th 2011

I think it would drive me crazy. The fact that everyone knows everything about you. You'd always be known as that kid that wet your pants in the second grade. That just sucks, man. I made a lot of stupid mistakes growing up. I have been allowed to learn what I needed from them and forget them. Not so much in a small town.

Dec 5th 2011

None of this is sexy, guys. It's bringing me down.

Dec 5th 2011 edited

I'm changing mine on account of expanding our horizons.

Dec 5th 2011

Found it!

http://thelovelyowl.com/images/Chapins%20Pics/Ryan%20vest%20via%20popsugar.jpg

Dec 5th 2011

There's just something about a man in a three-piece suit. I'm sure it's Salt n' Pepa's fault.

Dec 5th 2011

Hubba hubba!

Dec 5th 2011

I grew up in a small town...it's not RURAL, but it's not exactly a suburb of Rochester, either. Although most people in my town work in Rochester. And all my friends couldn't wait to "get out of town" and move someplace important. They were replaced by people from other places who moved here because they were escaping THEIR towns.

People are people no matter where you go. Planting beets or running a small town store is just as important as selling insurance in the big city. If not more so.

This sounds like I'm encouraging you to stay. I'm not. Sometimes it's good to shake things up. If you're in your late twenties and still living with mom and dad and working for them, you probably need to move someplace where you'll be forced to be on your own.

Narrows eyes suspiciously at Toosie

The only circumstance in which it would be OK to stay there and run the family business is if you are HAPPY doing that. And it doesn't sound like you are.

Dec 5th 2011

I left my hometown, and it's not even that small. I'll probably want to go back one day. But a motherfucker's gotta have some adventures in life.

Dec 5th 2011

But a motherfucker's gotta have some adventures in life.

I kinda feel like this crappy town is one. It's not my hometown. I moved here when I was 17. I want to be gone by 28. It's not where I'm from, or where I want to end up, but I'm here now, you know?

And Greensboro was a pass-through place for everyone who lived there, it seemed. It's just that this town's not really a pass-though for anyone. It's the most sickening type of destination. The dyin' type.

Dec 5th 2011

So, why are your parents planning on moving the business? Not making enough money there, or they just want something bigger, or are they also tired of the town?

Dec 5th 2011

See, it isn't really my parents that run the business. Mom's got a job in the next town, and Dad & I run it.

It's sort of a combo of all those reasons. It'd be better for everyone if we were in a larger market. We could increase sales volume and cut back some on the number of products/services we offer, and have higher profits. Profits would lead to cars and homes. And those homes would be someplace better.

Dec 5th 2011

How do you know that? I'm interested from a business perspective. I assume that other businesses are operating in the places you want to go...how do you know that you can take some of that business away from them?

And just to refresh my memory...you guys are some sort of print shop?

Dec 5th 2011

and have higher profits.

That's so evil.

Dec 5th 2011

you guys are some sort of print shop?

Yep. Print & web design. Digital pre-press.

I assume that other businesses are operating in the places you want to go...how do you know that you can take some of that business away from them?

That's what's going to take the time. We'll have to find demographic information for the 2 or 3 possible places we want to go, like business demographics. And we'll have to identify who competitors would be/what our competitive edge is against them, all that crap.

Dec 5th 2011

The Toosie family is exactly the kind of people that people are protesting against right now. They should set up an encampment right outside their store.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 24
  5. 25
  6. 26
  7. 27
  8. 28
  9. 29
  10. 30
  11. 31
  12. ...