Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
"I'm just sad the public school system failed him so badly": The Gardening Thread
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 34
  13. >
151 to 180 of 997
Sep 17th 2009 edited

Um, Averages. So... get your facts straight.

Sep 17th 2009
Sep 17th 2009

religiosity

I had no idea this was a word. Also, as it's hard to tie the individuals in to the picture, it's hard to say, but my experience in high school was that the kids that were abstinence-only turned sexually active just tended to have a more out of control sexual explosion than those of us for whom it wasn't so restricted.

Sep 17th 2009

but my experience in high school was that the kids that were abstinence-only turned sexually active just tended to have a more out of control sexual explosion than those of us for whom it wasn't so restricted.

Likewise, madam.

Sep 17th 2009

I would agree with that. I've had a bit of first-hand experience with a couple of preacher's daughters who were quite "freaky" as they say once they were out from under the parental controls.

Sep 17th 2009

Well, isn't that a benefit? Out of control sexual explosions, I mean. Abstinence makes the balls grow bluer.

Sep 17th 2009 edited

While I don't discount the findings in that article, I thought about many of the girls who I have taught or even went to school with, who became pregnant, and none of them were from religous families. I think the Christians are just one particular subculture of women who are experiencing high(er than expected, or average?) pregnancy rates. But there's lots of young girls in different subsets who are becoming pregnant as well.

Sep 17th 2009

There's a popular local rumor that one of our high schools here had the highest teen pregnancy rate in the US in the early 1970s. I doubt it's true, but if it is, my wife would be part of that statistic as my mother-in-law was a student there when she got preggers in 1969.

Sep 17th 2009

Where's KarenM when we need her?

Sep 17th 2009 edited

Well, here's data going back as far as 1990, if anyone wants to pick back through that and do the math.

And here's a graph with data since 1985.

And here's a whole report on a survey done in 2002.

I question the surveys again, because they are asking teens if they have had intercourse and a lot of teens don't count anything but vaginal penetration as intercourse.

Sep 17th 2009

From the wikipedia article on teen pregnancy, (which seems to be full of references to actual studies):

According to the Family Research Council, studies in the US indicate that age discrepancy between the teenage girls and the men who impregnate them is an important contributing factor. Teenage girls in relationships with older boys, and in particular with adult men, are more likely to become pregnant than teenage girls in relationships with boys their own age. They are also more likely to carry the baby to term rather than have an abortion. A review of California's 1990 vital statistics found that men older than high school age fathered 77 percent of all births to high school-aged girls (ages 16–18), and 51 percent of births to junior high school-aged girls (15 and younger). Men over age 25 fathered twice as many children of teenage mothers than boys under age 18, and men over age 20 fathered five times as many children of junior high school-aged girls as did junior high school-aged boys. A 1992 Washington state study of 535 adolescent mothers found that 62 percent of the mothers had a history of being raped or sexual molested by men whose ages averaged 27 years. This study found that, compared with nonabused mothers, abused adolescent mothers initiated sex earlier, had sex with much older partners, and engaged in riskier, more frequent, and promiscuous sex. Studies by the Population Reference Bureau and the National Center for Health Statistics found that about two-thirds of children born to teenage girls in the United States are fathered by adult men age 20 or older.

Interesting. Also:

Studies have also found that girls whose fathers left the family early in their lives had the highest rates of early sexual activity and adolescent pregnancy. Girls whose fathers left them at a later age had a lower rate of early sexual activity, and the lowest rates are found in girls whose fathers were present throughout their childhood. Even when the researchers took into account other factors that could have contributed to early sexual activity and pregnancy, such as behavioral problems and life adversity, early father-absent girls were still about five times more likely in the United States and three times more likely in New Zealand to become pregnant as adolescents than were father-present girls.

Interesting.

Sep 17th 2009

Abstinence makes the balls grow bluer.

And don't it make your big balls blue?

Sep 17th 2009 edited

All I know is that the Mormon girls in my neighborhood were purported to be, um, easy.

Also, I know that I read an article over the summer that quoted a study that showed that the children of evangelical parents didn't necessarily have more sex than other kids, but they had more babies.

Sep 17th 2009

the children of evangelical parents didn't necessarily have more sex than other kids, but they had more babies.

Little to no emphasis on birth control will lead to that, I would imagine.

Sep 17th 2009

In reaction to religious rhetoric about the "miracle of birth", comic Elayne Boosler
once said: "Popcorn is a miracle, too... if you don't know how it's done."

Sep 17th 2009

I think that that has some merit. Sometimes sex is just very much about a release, and when you release all that pent up stress or anxiety or whatever else it is you release when you acheive orgasm, (yeah, that too) you're just in a different state of mind and body

Catharsis?

Discuss.

What happens at church camp, stays at church camp...

Sep 18th 2009 edited

Catharsis?

I hate that comic strip.

Studies have also found that girls whose fathers left the family early in their lives had the highest rates of early sexual activity and adolescent pregnancy. Girls whose fathers left them at a later age had a lower rate of early sexual activity, and the lowest rates are found in girls whose fathers were present throughout their childhood.

Yes, very interesting, Anque. I think that the phrasing 'left the family' could be interpreted a number of ways, with the same result. Some fathers don't physically leave, but just aren't present in their daughters lives, either when they're just young, or when they're teens, or both or all parts of their development, and I think the same consequences can result. This isn't across the board, of course, but I believe it is a reality.

Sep 18th 2009 edited

I absolutely agree. My father was not really 'present', even though he was there, and both myself and my sister were active at a relatively early age.

Sep 18th 2009

My dad was around when all of us kids were growing up. My sister 'lost it' at 16. I was nearly 19. So...paradox.

Sep 18th 2009

BTF, you sexual anomaly you!

Sep 18th 2009

Yeah, I was a rebel. Also, I didn't date much in high school. I was too busy getting good grades and being a hot nerdette.

Sep 18th 2009 edited

I think this forum is likely full of former or current hot nerds and nerdettes. We just seem like the type. Of course, I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Sep 18th 2009

I'm totally a nerd. But I was also an early sexual pioneer. They are not mutually exclusive. I wish it had occurred to me that I could turn my rebellion into one of getting really good grades and being awesome at everything just to spite everyone. That would have been nice for me now.

Sep 18th 2009

If we weren't all nerds, why would we be here?

zing

Sep 18th 2009

both myself and my sister were active at a relatively early age.

That may have nothing to do with the fact that your dad wasn't there and more to do with the fact that you are from Kentucky. Are you from Kentucky?

Sep 18th 2009 edited

I'm totally a nerd. But I was also an early sexual pioneer. They are not mutually exclusive. I wish it had occurred to me that I could turn my rebellion into one of getting really good grades and being awesome at everything just to spite everyone. That would have been nice for me now.

This is so true of me as well. My father raised me, completely on his own, (well, until I was 17, then he passed away), and he ruled with a semi-iron fist, especially when it concerned dating. I was rebellious, and had sex a lot younger than was probably healthy for me mentally. It was nerd on nerd sex, because the guy I had sex with, (not my father), was a total nerd as well. Nerdliness must be quite the aphrodisiac.

Sep 18th 2009

This reads really bad, like it was your father the nerd.

Sep 18th 2009

It was nerd on nerd sex

That sounds.....something.

Sep 18th 2009

This reads really bad, like it was your father the nerd.

Thanks for pointing that out. I hope it reads better now.

Sep 18th 2009 edited

How is it any different than captain of the football team on captain of the cheerleader squad? I mean, other than the glasses and braces?

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 34