Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Superman is a cheap bastard. Showers, Poop, Thriftiness.
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 15
  12. >
1 to 30 of 425
Oct 27th 2009 edited

That's right. I'm doing it. Boo-yah.

Oct 27th 2009

The Mods are going to close the crap out of this thread. The other stuff too.

Oct 27th 2009

Alright. Crap in the poop thread. The plan is working.

Oct 27th 2009

I really hope this thread isn't closed.

But I wouldn't be too surprised if (when) it is.

Oct 27th 2009 edited

Oldtimers tend to not have their new threads closed, which is an opinion I've just formed with little to no evidence one way or the other. I started that Really, Seriously, Terribly Sad News Thread and it just kind of faded away. Or maybe someone closed it after the fact.

Oct 27th 2009

Oh, the Serious Tirade thread? I forgot about that.

which is an opinion I've just formed with little to no evidence one way or the other

Those are the best opinions, in my opinion.

Oct 27th 2009

Or maybe someone closed it after the fact.

That's probably the best thing to do - to wait till the thread dies it's natural life. Closing it while it's still on the first page is like burying it while it's still alive. Just hurtful to the thread's creator.

Oct 27th 2009

Good thread topic. I endorse it. Well done, fellow long-timer-though-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-anything.

Oct 27th 2009 edited

Hurray for this thread! I will be posting to it often, I know.

Today I bought a Captain Underpants book at the ReStore store for my son for 50 cents. Fifty cents, I say! He loves Captain Underpants - I mean, he's really enthusiastic about reading these books, which is awesome. They're funny, the vocabulary is pretty intense (but still funny), they're chapter books, and he's all into reading. And it was fifty cents! It was a good day.

Oct 27th 2009

Captain Underpants? Really? That is an awesome name.

Oct 27th 2009

As a father and a dog-owner, I don't mind saying I dealt with the disposal of four poops today that were not my own. There's a lot more poop in my life right now than I would have thought 20 years ago.

Oct 27th 2009

As a single/divorced woman with no children, and two dogs, I too, as well, deal with a lot of fecal disposal, that is not my own. A lot.

Oct 27th 2009

Captain Underpants? Really?

Yep. The two main characters are rambunctious fourth grade boys who managed to turn their unaware principal into a superhero who wears underwear and a cape to fight crime and put a stop to the shenanigans around the school. The author's little biography in the back says he used to get in trouble all the time at school for being one of "those kids" who liked to talk, didn't like to sit down, and was always doing the wrong thing, and as an adult he wants to write books that kids like that will enjoy. I think he has succeeded, massively.

Oct 27th 2009

That is a cool story, LT. Honestly, Captain Underpants is one of the coolest things I've heard all week. It cracks me up. The guy had a great idea.

Oct 27th 2009

I like it too because it sounds like something a third grader would call another third grader to be mean but they'd both end up laughing at it.

Oct 27th 2009

Today I bought a Captain Underpants book at the ReStore store for my son for 50 cents.

"I see my disapproval of Captain Underpants, therefore, as a drawing of a line between my son and me, between his world and mine, between adulthood and childhood, as a small, feeble attempt to reestablish the contours of a boundary that in the broader culture has grown vague, disregarded, abused. If I withdraw my approval of Captain Underpants -- if I tell my son I will gladly supply him with good books and comics but that if he wants to read those damned Captain Underpants, he'll have to pay for them himself -- that withdrawal creats a gap, a small enchanted precinct of parental disapproval within which he can curl up, for a minute, for the time it takes to read a crass, vibrant, silly 120-page book with big print, one that he paid for himself, and thrill to the deep, furtive pleasure of annoying one's father."

-- Michael Chabon, "Hypocritical Theory"

Oct 27th 2009

The Captain Underpants books, although somewhat crass, are written to get young boys, who don't necessarily enjoy reading, to pick up a book. They work. I will respect them.

Oct 27th 2009

and thrill to the deep, furtive pleasure of annoying one's father

I like the books a lot, so my son's going to have to find a different way to derive the pleasure of annoying me. And I have no doubt that he will be successful in that regard.

Oct 27th 2009

Drum set?

Oct 27th 2009

Guitar.

Oct 27th 2009

Viola (that looks dirty)

Oct 28th 2009

It still smells like poop in here and lunch has been over for a while.

Oct 28th 2009

On the topic of thriftiness, I've made the resolution to not buy any more clothes for the rest of the year. I don't really need them, my closet is short on space, and with having to pay for my own health insurance here shortly, I don't need to be spending the money.

Oct 28th 2009 edited

I am surprised and appalled that this thread has been approved by not one but 2 mods. In protest, I shall not be posting here.

Oops - crap!

And now I'm even on-topic.

Oct 28th 2009

Well done.

Oct 28th 2009

Do we have any other current Mods? J1 is long gone (and missing). Nathan is alive and on facebook. Mixed Berries has a newish girlfriend and hasn't been around. I guess my thread will survive!

Oct 28th 2009

On the topic of thriftiness, I've made the resolution to not buy any more clothes for the rest of the year. I don't really need them, my closet is short on space, and with having to pay for my own health insurance here shortly, I don't need to be spending the money.

I have made a similar resolution, with respect to dvds. I recently purchased the complete Wire box set, which will be my last dvd purchase for quite a while.

Oct 28th 2009

I'm gonna have to do some similar stuff.

Oct 28th 2009

The Wardrobe Refashion Blog is awesome in that it has all sorts of ideas for making "new" clothes out of stuff you already have. It's really inspirational. Besides the fact that it leaves me satisfied and smiling because of cheap, it has made me look at all clothing in an entirely new light.

Oct 31st 2009

Hey, DC. Last week you mentioned that your dishwasher, like ours, is broken. I saw in an article in our paper about a state-wide tax-free weekend for Energy-Star appliances next weekend. And possibly a rebate program in the Spring. Here's some info from the Charlotte Observer.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 15
  12. >