Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
A Boss is like a Teacher: Education
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 21
  12. >
1 to 30 of 603
Oct 28th 2009 edited

In School? Out of School? Going back to school? Work at school?

Discuss all things education.

May 3rd 2010

Hey, did you know we had an education thread?

There was a news story in my local paper about a martial-arts guy that's going to teach a self-defense class in town. It starts this Thursday and runs for like 6 or 8 weeks. But it didn't have a fee listed. Are these classes usually free?

I don't know the man teaching the class, but I do know the editor of the paper. Should I just email him to find out? Should I assume he would know? I mean, if he knows, he'd tell me and if he didn't, he could at least tell me who sent in the information to the paper, I'm sure. What would you guys do?

May 3rd 2010

That's totally on-topic. It's about a class.

May 3rd 2010

Is it called "Rex Kwon Do"?

May 3rd 2010

I would think this thread would be used a massive amount, we as a group talk about education a lot. I think it just gets skipped over because the thread title is kinda weak.

May 3rd 2010

I think we just forgot it was here.

May 3rd 2010

I wonder how Evil Like a Hobbit felt when she created a thread that was completely ignored. She stopped coming around two months later. I wonder if there's a connection. I bet all the teaching- and education-related comments just went to other threads, like kids, tirades, occupations, etc.

May 3rd 2010

Just think, this little thread was just minding its business not offending anybody and then...this happened.

May 4th 2010 edited

I am reading two really interesting books for my last MEd course, which is "Issues in Educational Leadership". One of the two books is called Failing Our Kids: How We Are Ruining Our Public Schools, and I am just loving it.

Here is one quote that I have been chewing on for the last hour:

The decline in the family's importance, and in the influence of organized religion has increased demands on the remaining community agencies responsible for the young. The is especially true for the public schools, upon which Canadian (and American, I am sure) society has become more dependent for the moral instruction of the children.

Those are my comments in the parentheses. First of all, agree or disagree with the quote? Me, I agree wholeheartedly. Secondly, isn't that a little frightening? That we as a society are letting schools and teachers be responsible for the moral education of our young? Do you feel comfortable entrusting the public schools with that monumental responsibility?

May 4th 2010

I don't think there has been a huge decline in the family's importance in the moral education of children. I have no problem with organized religion losing its role.

May 4th 2010

Aren't schools 50 percent socialization anyway? Methinks that schools have always intended, and attempted, to morally instruct children. It's a big part of why they were set up in towns in the first place, when universal public education was being established. Also, a huge beef of many homeschoolers is that schools aren't moral enough.

I would need more quotes from that author to decide if I really agree or disagree with the idea in that cited passage.

May 4th 2010

I don't think there has been a huge decline in the family's importance in the moral education of children. I have no problem with organized religion losing its role.

This is where I am. The less religion has to do with it, the better.

May 4th 2010 edited

I don't think there has been a huge decline in the family's importance in the moral education of children.

I think there absolutely has been a big decline in this, especially in some segments of society. How could it not be, with the absence of many parents altogether and a scarcity of children brought up in a stable family situation?

May 4th 2010

Methinks that schools have always intended, and attempted, to morally instruct children. It's a big part of why they were set up in towns in the first place, when universal public education was being established.

Right, but my assumption is that they were set up with the idea that they would reinforce the moral education already being provided in the home and the church. The three institutions worked together. Whereas now, what I think the author is saying is that the schools aren't reinforcing anymore, but rather they are the primary source of the moral education, because of fragmentation or alienation of the other two institutions.

May 4th 2010

I think there absolutely has been a big decline in this, especially in some segments of society. How could it not be, with the absence of many parents altogether and a scarcity of children brought up in a stable family situation?

Regardless of the changes in family makeup, the parent(s) are still going to be the primary influence. There are not huge numbers of orphans running loose on the streets. And even regardless of these changes, by many measures our society has improved in terms of it's moral values. Crime has been dropping since the early 1990's, teenage pregnancy had been dropping until very recently, racial discrimination is now considered socially unacceptable and so has at least been driven underground if not eliminated. Taking care of the environment, which I consider a moral good, is now accepted as something fundamentally important. The implication is that somehow if schools have taken over moral instruction then we are worse off. I don't see any evidence of that.

May 4th 2010

my assumption is that they were set up with the idea that they would reinforce the moral education already being provided in the home and the church.

Oh, they are still doing lots of this. There's plenty of moral instruction going on in the schools, and it reinforces exactly what people teach their kids at home: safe sex, tolerance for diversity and gay people, pro-illegal-immigrant viewpoints, environmentalism and recycling (as DC pointed out)... Schools are doing for parents what they have always done and what parents still want them to do, in amounts no more or less than what they are used to.

And there are plenty of churches promoting these moral ideas, too. Plenty of them. Schools are socializing children to hold the same mainstream moral viewpoints that modern Western society currently lauds as important.

This conversation would probably benefit a lot from definitions of "moral" and "family." Does the book that the passage comes from provide them?

May 4th 2010

Regardless of the changes in family makeup, the parent(s) are still going to be the primary influence. There are not huge numbers of orphans running loose on the streets.

That's not the case in most cities. Sure, they are not technically "orphans"...but they might as well be, for all the parental support they receive. Many are raised by only a mother or a grandmother because the parents are in jail or nowhere to be found.

May 4th 2010

Many are raised by only a mother or a grandmother because the parents are in jail or nowhere to be found.

But those are still going to be the primary source of moral instruction. They just may not fit the traditional definition of "family".

May 4th 2010

OK, I will agree with you that family is still the "primary" source of moral education. But that influence has lessened, even within good families, simply because there are so many more sources of information in the media. That goes both ways...you can be raised by a racist father but you can still learn that most of the world does not think that way. Years ago, whatever your parents told you was gospel.

May 4th 2010

Regardless of the changes in family makeup, the parent(s) are still going to be the primary influence.

I'm skeptical whether schools have much influence at all relative to whatever passes for family.

May 4th 2010

OK, I will agree with you that family is still the "primary" source of moral education. But that influence has lessened, even within good families, simply because there are so many more sources of information in the media.

Yeah, I would agree with that. I think I'm ok with it though.

May 4th 2010

My wife had to do the exercise in this video for one of her teaching classes. Give it a whirl. Freaky stuff.

May 5th 2010

I counted nine, but got distracted for some reason.

May 5th 2010

Did you watch it again without counting?

May 5th 2010

Nope.

May 5th 2010

I had already seen it so I knew the twist ending that they were dead the whole time.

May 5th 2010

Yeah, the death thing is what I saw. It made me lose track of the counting.

May 5th 2010

Surprising number of penises for an educational video, no?

May 5th 2010

I had no idea someone could actually unhinge their jaw like that.

May 5th 2010

Hey guys and gals. Ever had an irate parent/client walk into your place of work, walk right up to you, and begin a long winded rant wherein they curse you up and down, and then storm out, with the advice that you "do your f#@%ing job!"? I had that happen to me this morning. We have a meeting with said parent at the school board office after work tonight.

I don't think there has been a huge decline in the family's importance in the moral education of children.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 21
  12. >