Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
The Office (mafia game) - GAME OVER - TOWN WINS
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 20
  5. 21
  6. 22
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. 26
  11. 27
  12. 28
  13. >
811 to 830 of 830
Dec 8th 2009

Of course, in DC's case, we now know he was probably trying to lay low so I guess no information can be a clue.

It was a tough balancing act because if I made too much noise people would start calling me out, but then everyone went after Toosie and I wanted to try and divert some attention away from her.

Dec 8th 2009

In my case, I just wasn't around a computer enough to talk more. I unexpectedly ended up working a bunch of 13-hour days the first week, and the only internet access I had was my phone. Alex even emailed me after Day 1 and asked if I needed to be subbed out. Fortunately, the next week was better and I got to talk a bit more. Thanks for not killing me, guys.

Dec 8th 2009

It's funny to see you guys learning the ropes.

There were so many common strategies being worked through as if for the first time.

Mafia tend to avoid the obvious kill because they predict that player will be protected or watched. They also tend to leave suspicious players alive, because it draws attention away from themselves.

As mafia, you have to play the long game, that often means thinking about which players are possible lynch-candidates for future days. so you might think, LATP is quiet, maybe we can use that as an argument, or Daost is Michael, we might be able to argue that he is corporate. So you'd leave them alive and pick off roles like Jim, Pam etc, who are the most solid townie roles.

Mafia tend to keep the godfather as safe as possible for as long as possible, because otherwise you risk losing the advantage of a player who gets found innocent by the cop.

As for the roles - I'll write a list of the usual roles in the Introduction thread, and it can be linked to from the OP of any future games.

Most games, even basic ones, have the basic roles, Cop, Doctor and for Mafia, a Godfather.

Other very common roles are the tracker, watcher, roleblocker (usually a mafia role)

I know Harry Potter well enough, wouldnt say I'm a fan, but I've seen the movies, and my wife is a fan. I can design a game for that theme. After that, maybe Lord of the Rings, would make a popular theme, most people know those characters. Anyway, I don't mind running games for a little while here, until you guys get the bug, and want to run them yourself.

I'll start a sign up thread for a Harry potter game.

Dec 8th 2009

Thanks, alex.

Bored of the Rings . . . sigh.

Dec 8th 2009

Yeah, not to look gift horses in the mouth and all that, but LOTR = blergh.

Alex, I had a lot of fun playing over here! I really am glad you could come run a game, and happy that you've started another one! Because nothing says Christmas like ganging up on your friends to kill them.

And all the rest of you party crashers ought to sign up. Games can be bigger than 11, and you'd have the advantage of information this time around. Plus, it's not really that big of a time commitment. Mostly, because it's fun.

Dec 8th 2009

Also, if people are shy about starting games, I LOVE to run games and could easily do one after Harry Potter. I could even renew one of my old games with a few tweaks, depending on what people like.

But running games really is super fun, so if someone here wants to try one next, I would encourage them to.

Dec 8th 2009

I've thought about it. I could run one after the Harry Potter one is over.

Dec 8th 2009

Could we do a Shaun of the Dead one? Would there be enough characters?

Dec 8th 2009

I've only read the first three books and I haven't seen the last two movies. Will that handicap me too much if I played?

Dec 8th 2009

I also have only read the first few books--I don't think it really matters, Madge.

Dec 8th 2009

I think if we play it through Prisoner, we'll be fine. Without posting any spoilers, most of the key pieces are on the board pretty much from the start.

Dec 8th 2009

All right. I'll play one and see how it goes. Also, Shaun of the Dead would be fun.

Dec 8th 2009

Yay! The Shaun of the Dead one sounds awesome too! Although I have to admit, I'm surprised your first suggestion wasn't a Bloodsport themed game.

Dec 8th 2009

Woah! Madge and I posted in exactly the same second. That's the first time I've ever seen that happen.

Dec 8th 2009

Hey, how about a Bloodsport-themed game? I can run that one.

Dec 8th 2009

I'll try to run a Shaun of the Dead one once the Harry Potter one is over.

Dec 8th 2009

I was not very good at this game. 1) I should have read the instructions better. b) it's hard for me to post much at work because I have to use my iPhone. III) I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do as a Survivor not affiliated with any group and not getting all the the behind the scenes e-mails. 4) Even if I did have a good understanding of the rules and one of the main roles I still don't think I'd be very good. I think my brain just doesn't function in whatever way is needed to be good at this. I'll observe the Harry Potter game from the sidelines to see if I get a better understanding (and I'll keep the Nerds comments to myself).

I think Pulp Fiction would be a good theme.

Dec 8th 2009

Hey, lem and everyone else interested in a non-flashbased new person guide to this game:

Newbie Guide Wiki

That link will take you to more in depth 'How To Play' type links and 'Roles' for a full explanation of all the different types of roles. The flash based explanation is mentioned at the top of the Newbie Guide.

Dec 8th 2009

Gracias!

Dec 8th 2009

Also, I just found the intro thread where alex has already linked to that wiki in addition to outlining a lot of roles. Thanks, alex! I wasn't trying to step on your toes!

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 20
  5. 21
  6. 22
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. 26
  11. 27
  12. 28