Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
6.15 Manager and Salesman
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 81
Feb 6th 2010
  • Season 6 : Episode 15
  • First aired on February 11, 2010

Summary courtesy of NBC:

THE OFFICE GETS A VISIT FROM THE SABRE CEO - KATHY BATES (“THE BLINDSIDE,” “REVOLUTIONARY ROAD”) AND ZACH WOODS (“THE HONKYS”) GUEST STARS—The office is eager to welcome Sabre CEO Jo Bennett (guest star Kathy Bates) to Scranton, and are dazzled by her Southern ways. Butwhen Jo finds out there are two branch managers, she says either Michael (Golden Globe winner Steve Carell) or Jim (John Krasinski) must go back to being a salesman. Meanwhile, Andy’s (Ed Helms) Valentine’s Day plan backfires. Rainn Wilson, Jenna Fischer, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Angela Kinsey, Phyllis Smith, Oscar Nunez, Creed Bratton, Paul Lieberstein, B.J. Novak and Ellie Kemper star.

Feb 7th 2010

The Honkys?

Feb 7th 2010

updates Netflix queue

Feb 7th 2010 edited

First promo

The Michael/Jim/Jo Bennett plot should be interesting.

Feb 7th 2010

Meanwhile, Andy’s (Ed Helms) Valentine’s Day plan backfires.

sigh

Feb 7th 2010

Agreed, MISS.

Feb 8th 2010

Just saw that promo. A crotch joke? Really? I wasn't a fan of "Suck-it," though I know a lot of people were -- and I can already tell I won't be a fan of a crotch joke.

Feb 8th 2010

Barney's movie had heart, but "Football in the Groin" had a football in the groin.

Feb 8th 2010

But when Jo finds out there are two branch managers, she says either Michael or Jim must go back to being a salesman.

I like this. It makes it seem like the writers actually had a long-range plan back when they made them co-managers. But I hope it's not an excuse to show Jim as a bumbling buffoon yet again.

Feb 8th 2010

I'm not sure I can watch an episode where Michael is suddenly the competent manager retained over Jim. I've watched five and a half years of this show and I still don't know how he is still in charge there. Somehow Scranton has gone from one of the lowest performing branches to the only profitable DM branch while only adding a single salesman. It might have been nice if they had devoted a little time explaining how this miraculous transformation occurred.

Feb 8th 2010

I think Michael being demoted back to a salesperson would be a fascinating dynamic. But I'd very surprised if that actually happened.

Feb 8th 2010 edited

Yeah, it would, but really it would make way more sense so of course it won't happen.

Feb 9th 2010

To be fair to Michael, he does show glimpses of how good a salesman he is. The MSPC arc last year definitely showed that he is a great salesman but also showed just how incompetent of a leader he is.

I really, really hope Jim gets to keep the management position. Despite his bumblings he is a straight-shooter and there is no doubt the office respects him more than Michael.

But like you said, it would make too much sense. I'm preparing myself for Andy to somehow become the manager or something. Anything different will be a pleasant surprise -- at least that's how I'm going to think about it.

About the transformation to a profitable branch, I never really got that either. But they did get all the clients from Stamford solely because the other manager quit and didn't have much overhead costs because everyone else left. Also, Jim decided he wanted to actually try somewhere there between Season 3 and 4. They could have done a much better job though at explaining that.

Feb 9th 2010

Despite his bumblings he is a straight-shooter and there is no doubt the office respects him more than Michael.

I don't know. I think Michael and Jim are running neck and neck in having the office not respect them while holding both of them in contempt.

Feb 9th 2010 edited

I agree with the g.

And the storyline has shown consistently that, while Michael is a social buffoon, a lot of his bizarre management habits have good results, whether intended or not. I just don't want to watch yet another 'new-boss-hates-Michael-and/or-Jim' schtick. Idris Elba hasn't been gone that long yet.

Feb 9th 2010

Yeah, you know what, the scene that everyone seems to show respect to Jim's authority in one of the later episodes was actually a deleted scene I think. Does that count? Probably not.

Feb 9th 2010

And the storyline has shown consistently that, while Michael is a social buffoon, a lot of his bizarre management habits have good results, whether intended or not.

Except for when Scranton was 4th out of 5 branches or it was going to be shut down and merged with Stamford. Somewhere in S3 they decided that Michael was now a successful manager, but they never gave us any reason why. He certainly hasn't changed his management style. Rather than the ridiculous romantic subplots of early S5 they could have been prepping us for why Michael Scott shouldn't be collecting unemployment.

Feb 9th 2010

Somewhere in S3 they decided that Michael was now a successful manager, but they never gave us any reason why. He certainly hasn't changed his management style.

He'd been with the company for what, 10 years when the show started? And it was 50/50 the branch was going to close in a far better economy. Now he's teaching seminars at the Wharton School.

Feb 9th 2010

Maybe it's the mini Mounds bars he throws at the salesmen.

Feb 9th 2010

No, it's the 20 water breaks.

Feb 10th 2010

I think I'm in the minority here, but I for one really want JIM to be demoted. I miss him with rolled up sleeves and floppyhair and sitting next to Pam and actually TALKING to her. I feel like all that disappeared when he became co-manager. And I also think that having Michael as a saleman and Jim as manager is just to to weird. But then again, I'm not sure if Jim can go back now. I hope on that sad, sad day that is the Office finale, Jim and Pam find a new jobs elsewhere. But thats just me.

Feb 10th 2010

You can't go home again, floppyhair. Demoted Jim would, in real life, quickly become, divorced-XBox-playing-dirty-haired-creepy-recluse Jim. OK, maybe it wouldn't be that bad. Wouldn't be good, though.

Feb 10th 2010 edited

Demoted Jim would, in real life, quickly become, divorced-XBox-playing-dirty-haired-creepy-recluse Jim.

I agree (well, maybe not that bad, but...) Jim's got a mortgage and a family on the way, and grown up Jim Halpert can't go back to being a drifting, unmotivated guy.

I'm really looking forward to this episode because there should be major tension (which I love), and I can't wait to see how how they resolve this issue. I was very pleasantly surprised when Michael Scott Paper Co. worked out, so maybe they can work some magic this time as well. Plus I love Kathy Bates.

Feb 10th 2010

But what do you think will happen? Because Michael can't NOT be manager...thats practically the premise of the show. Maybe Jim could be something else with a pay raise? I'm getting quick panicky over all this....

Feb 11th 2010

I think I'm in the minority here, but I for one really want JIM to be demoted.

I sneakily want to see this happen too. He's been, well, boring as co-manager. When he's not being boring, he's incompetent. I would love to see our floppy-haired prankster back again. But...I can see how that could grow stale.

But what do you think will happen?

There's a lot of potential for humorous chaos in the Michael-as-demoted scenario. I can imagine him constantly interfering with Jim's management decisions, bleating about his vast experience and getting into Petulant Jesus Sulks when his ideas are ignored. There'd be good tension between him and Dwight, too. But - if they do it - they've got to find a way to make Jim interesting while manager.

Feb 11th 2010

Yay. Last new ep for...how long?

Feb 11th 2010

Maybe Jim could be something else with a pay raise?

This would be my preference.

Feb 11th 2010

Sort of looking forward to this though I doubt I'll be able to catch it until tomorrow morning. Interested to see where the writers go.

I can't believe an outside CEO would actually trust someone like Michael Scott to continue being manager when you have the outwardly smooth looking Jim there. I mean what redeeming quality does Michael have over Jim upon first impression? I can't think of one.

It would be very interesting to me to see that dynamic. But because it would be interesting to me, I doubt it happens.

Last new ep for...how long?

I think the next new one is like an hour long episode first week in March or whenever the Olympics are over. I have an Office noob question. Have they ever done a St. Patty's Day episode? I heard they are having one this year.

Feb 11th 2010

A real company that's taken someone over would interview both managers and then select one for the job. They would never leave it up to the co-managers to decide.

Feb 11th 2010

Probably not. I've seen companies do some stupid things, though. Not mine, of course. Other companies. Yeah, that's it, other companies.

But what do you think will happen? Because Michael can't NOT be manager...thats practically the premise of the show. Maybe Jim could be something else with a pay raise? I'm getting quick panicky over all this....

I'm with you there, except for the panicky part. I am getting slightly less ambivalent, though.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 81
Top of PageBack to discussions