Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
6.16 The Delivery
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
151 to 179 of 179
Mar 12th 2010

Question - and maybe it's been asked before - but does Jim have no family? Why do we never really see them? Were they not interested in coming to the hospital to visit their son and his new born daughter?

Mar 12th 2010

He...has brothers. And we met his folks in the wedding episode.

Mar 12th 2010

He...has brothers. And we met his folks in the wedding episode.

Ah yeah of course. My bad. But none of them cared that he had a baby?

Mar 12th 2010

Blocked them out, too, huh?

Mar 12th 2010

I think family that wasn't going to be there through the whole slog of labor (like the ones who live in different cities and have kids of their own) would wait for Jim's phone call that the baby was born before showing up, and they didn't show that part on the show. Also, it's perfectly reasonable to not go to visit someone at the hospital when a baby is born if you live in another city and have family of your own--even if you are siblings. I'm sure they made the trip as soon as Pam and Jim got home.

I realize just now that I am assuming they live in another city. Maybe they don't. I'm just remembering them only from that lunch date in NYC and the out of state wedding. Scratch that. But seriously... going from "doesn't come see the laboring/just delivered wife at the hospital" to "none of them cared that he had a baby" seems like a leap.

Mar 12th 2010

But seriously... going from "doesn't come see the laboring/just delivered wife at the hospital" to "none of them cared that he had a baby" seems like a leap.

Fair enough. Maybe minor niggles that never used to bother are bothering me when the Office is producing eps like this one...

Mar 12th 2010

I think I'm already primed about this because it came up as an issue on another show I was watching, in which a side character at college in another city was criticized for not coming to the hospital midweek to watch her sister be in labor, which seemed really unfair and unreasonable. And because visiting people in the hospital who just had babies is an exercise in being interrupted by staff and you get no real baby visiting or handling in at all. I swear when I was in the hospital I was visited by a nurse or doctor every twenty minutes and found myself apologizing to the people who came. It's so much nicer to have those same people visit you at home. And partly I have this (probably sexist) idea that brothers don't have the same excitement about ultra-fresh babies that sisters do anyway.

Mar 12th 2010

Because of the H1N1 scare that never fully materialised, we couldn't have visitors in the hospital when Minnow arrived. That was pretty cool.

Mar 12th 2010

Pandemics FTW!!

Mar 13th 2010

The baby was born on a weekday, which means that visitors would have to take a day off from work or come outside business hours. Since Jim's brothers live out of town, six hours of driving at night (3 hours each way) is a pretty tall order, especially since you can just wait until the weekend. (In our case, our relatives didn't want to disturb us and waited for us to call them to say we were ready to accept visitors.)

And just because it didn't happen on camera doesn't mean it didn't happen. Perhaps the visits from the other family members simply weren't documentary-worthy.

Mar 15th 2010

This is probably a stupid question, but was anyone else bothered by Pam wearing pantyhose on her due date? Maybe it's just that black tights bring back horrendous memories of being forced to wear them with my Catholic school uniform in high school, dying to go home or find a discreet way to adjust the tight waistband digging in my hips, making any attempt to learn unimaginable. I was distracted in the scenes she was wearing them because I couldn't help imagining her attempting to pull them on with her huge belly, trying not to rip snag and rip them on feet she can barely reach and finding a comfortable place to rest the waistband each and every time she had to use the bathroom.

Mar 15th 2010

She probably wore thigh-highs. Of course, I've never seen thigh-high tights, and I don't really remember if she had black hose or tights, and it's probably an error in costuming.

Mar 15th 2010

I don't really get what tights and pantyhose are about. My wife has tried to explain to no avail.

Mar 15th 2010

I don't either, really. I just go bare-legged. Try and stop me.

Mar 15th 2010

I'm 1000% sure that if I was expecting to have a baby that day or heck, even if it was possible that week I would not put on pantyhose. No way. They're enough of a hassle in regular, non-baby-having life.

Mar 15th 2010

In similar news, being a guy rules.

Mar 15th 2010

The black ones are kind of sexy.

Mar 15th 2010

Like Denzel?

Mar 15th 2010

Nice work gb. Has anyone seen the third deleted scene for this episode? I am really glad it wasn't included. It makes me want to strangle both Jim and Pam.

Mar 16th 2010

Like Denzel?

Exactly. The judges would also have accepted, "Thats what the guy who never went back said."

Mar 16th 2010

Has anyone seen the third deleted scene for this episode? I am really glad it wasn't included. It makes me want to strangle both Jim and Pam.

See, I had just the opposite reaction. That made me love them so much. I'm now totally convinced they are real people.

Mar 16th 2010

I'll split the difference. I found them very realistic and eminently stranglable. Actually, a dad who's that big a smartass in that situation likely gets the donut lodged up his nose. New moms do curse like sailors, though. From what I've heard.

Mar 16th 2010

The deleted scene also would have worked for me. Then again, I really wanted to strangle Mr. A several times for screwing up the swaddle, too.

Mar 16th 2010

I rocked the swaddle. It's like making a burrito. Diapers require more technique.

Mar 16th 2010

Mr. Parrot was hilarious with the diapering. I got a running commentary on how many wipes it was taking, in full on sportscaster style. I honestly don't remember swaddling being an issue.

Mar 16th 2010

Actually, a dad who's that big a smartass in that situation likely gets the donut lodged up his nose. New moms do curse like sailors, though.

Yeah, it was Jim mocking Pam that set my teeth on edge. I don't think it takes a Mensa membership to figure out that you don't say "It wasn't too bad." in front of the new mom and then act put out when she doesn't find it amusing. A new father's primary job is to serve as a punching bag for those first few days.

Mar 16th 2010

If there's one thing we've learned over the last two seasons, it's that Jim's not a Mensa member.

Mar 16th 2010

So are we concluding that he killed a lot of brain cells engaging in autoerotic asphyxiation before the Season 3 finale?

Mar 22nd 2010

I'm Tearing or Grueing DC for this. Fine work award, DC.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. >
151 to 179 of 179
Top of PageBack to discussions