Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Shooting the breeze : Non Office-related chatter
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 943
  5. 944
  6. 945
  7. 946
  8. 947
  9. 948
  10. 949
  11. 950
  12. 951
  13. >
28381 to 28410 of 28527
Sep 23rd 2015

taekwondo

Is he a purple belt? That's really high.

Four years ago my job sucked so much that I wanted to leave, and it had a 15 minute commute. Now I've moved to another location, with a 45 minute commute, but I really like the people I work with and everything is great. They are flexible enough that I can sometimes leave at 4:00 and get home before 5:00. Also, my wife's business is doing well enough that I don't fear getting laid off. I would still have to find a job, but not just the first thing I could find.

Sep 23rd 2015

Yeah, my current job really takes the fun out of the 20 minute commute.

Sep 29th 2015

So I read this article on job changes the other day, and it was helpful in straightening my thoughts on this new job. The shock of the change has passed, and I feel pretty clear that I won't be here long. I've got a couple of solid leads and am constantly seeking more.

Here's the thing: I had good reason to leave where I was, but is it crazy to reach out and see if the door is shut? My job was filled, but there are openings I know I could do. Would just like to hear anyone's impression.

Sep 29th 2015

As long as you didn't burn any bridges, I see no reason you couldn't go back. The idea that we owe loyalty to a company and so shouldn't grasp an opportunity is really outdated. No firm these days would hesitate to cut you loose if it would improve the bottom line. My only caveat would be the stability of the old place. Is it going to provide you with the long term prospects you need?

Sep 29th 2015

Short answer: nope. And the commute is nearly as bad. Those were key reasons for looking to leave. I guess I'm ranking my prospects, and going back wouldn't be as bad as flaming out here. Now there's no guarantee I flame out here or that my old place would even take me back in any acceptable capacity.

Ideally I'd land with the paper 20 minutes from home owned by my old job's parent company. They were posting positions earlier this year but nothing now. Naturally. This shit is hard.

Sep 29th 2015 edited

Ideally I'd land with the paper 20 minutes from home owned by my old job's parent company.

You should definitely approach them. Even if a position isn't available, if they know you're looking at them, and they like you, they might create something. If they have any doubts, ask them to check back here. I'm sure they would listen to DC and myself.

Sep 30th 2015

Yeah, I have a lot of pull with New York area newspapers.

Staying with the new place while finding something like the paper closer to home sounds like a better option than heading back to the old place. I doubt flaming out is on the table.

Sep 30th 2015

Bri, what exactly are you doing at your new place? And what kind of place is it?

Nov 9th 2015

This is Office-related. Sue me.

Anyway, I got 6/10. Not too great...

Nov 9th 2015

I only got 7/10. Dangit.

Nov 9th 2015

I got a defective layout that made it impossible to answer.

Nov 10th 2015 edited

9/10

Nov 10th 2015

7/10

[Stop pooping .gif]

Bri, what exactly are you doing at your new place? And what kind of place is it?

I missed this. I'll mark two months there Thursday by having coffee with my former boss.

Nov 11th 2015

You know, I'm okay that that gif didn't play.

So at two months, are you feeling the vibe yet?

Nov 12th 2015

No.

Well yes, but it's a terrible, awful vibe. So no.

Nov 12th 2015

Come on, dish girlfriend.

Nov 12th 2015

Well yes, but it's a terrible, awful vibe. So no.

So you're pretending to drink the vibe now, but you're not swallowing?

knowing nod a la Michael Scott

Nov 13th 2015

😤

I know you love emojis, but that one seemed contextually appropriate.

Had a good meet-up with my old boss yesterday. We talked for an hour. Nothing concrete came from it, but I'd have a job back there tomorrow if there was an opening. She said to keep checking the postings. There's going to be layoffs first, though. Logically that, and the pay cut, should make me reconsider leaving where I'm at. But it doesn't.

Nov 13th 2015

You are such an intelligent man, B. There has to be a place for you somewhere close to home where you can be valuable and paid well. Somewhere someone is lamenting that they need someone like you but can't find you.

Nov 13th 2015

There's going to be layoffs first, though.

This is not what you want to hear. Do they seem to have a handle on how layoffs are being handled or are they just whacking hoping to stay afloat?

Dec 28th 2015

Does anyone still visit this site? If so, does anyone have anything to talk about, in a less public forum, than their facebook page?

Dec 28th 2015

I still visit once a day.

We had a very nice Christmas, although I didn't really have any days to relax and do nothing. My daughter is now 10...I think she doesn't believe in Santa Claus, but didn't say anything because she doesn't want to know, or didn't want to hurt our feelings. We just got back from Disney last month, it was my first time and also my daughter's first time. Just got a new pool last summer, so looking forward to having it for the whole summer this year. Life is good.

How is Toosie doing?

Dec 28th 2015

I still visit, but don't have anything interesting to discuss right now.

Dec 28th 2015

I visit it like a crazy person. I get habits... and they're hard to break after almost a decade.

I'm glad you had a good Christmas, J. I did have a do-nothing day, which is pretty rare.

Things are alright here. I've been talking to this one guy online for a while, and I think he's pretty cool. We like a lot of the same stuff, and really he's a lot like a dude version of me. The thing is, he lives in Kentucky. I don't know why I'm even still talking to him, really. I've known him for like, a month.

He seems to really like me, and says stuff, that's not, like crass, really. But, probably normal stuff you'd say to someone you're interested in, if you're not a shy weirdo like I am. And not in a way that makes me think he means stuff as a perverted code. And I've taken some of what he's said & replied in a kind of naughty way, like a couple of times, and he's just laughed. So, whatever. Probably all normal.

But, it makes me feel kind of bad. 'Cause Kentucky is far away. Like, 3 hours.

Anyway. So, I feel kind of bad, and then I'm kind of wondering why I'm talking to him, and then, he gives me compliments. So, then I feel bad for feeling bad. And also bad for feeling good.

I wish I could just meet some jerk in my own town.

Blah blah blah.

TL;DR: I'm exactly the same and will never change. One-dimensional. What do they call that in literature? Static character? Etc.

Coffeeshop: It's ok. Super freakin' rocky this year. But, one year left on the payments for the espresso machine. Then, we can focus on paying off the start-up loans in a big way. And a new car purchase is planned for the summer of 2017. And a trip to KC in the fall of 2017.

Plans, anyway. If no one dies, at least. My bro cannot die until that MF espresso maker is paid for.

Dec 28th 2015

Also, did you guys see that THPJ was in the hospital this weekend, for pancreatitis. He had surgery today to remove his gallbladder, and there were complications and he had to go to a second hospital. He's out of surgery this evening, and it looks like he'll have to have another operation Wednesday. But, all seems fine, for now, today.

Dec 29th 2015

My bro cannot die until that MF espresso maker is paid for.

I admire how close you two are.

TL;DR: I'm exactly the same and will never change.

Me too. I spent the last three-plus months trying to get back to my old job, and I landed an offer there yesterday. I've been perseverating on it since yesterday, and I will likely turn it down in a few minutes based on our household finances. I'm not happy, but we need the money. Daycare lasts another 18 months, and it costs the difference between job A and job B. There are other factors, but that's most of it.

Dec 29th 2015

Does anyone still visit this site?

Yes, almost daily. I'd visit more if there was more going on, but

does anyone have anything to talk about

Not so much. Biggest news is that we are planning a trip to NYC in June. I'm totally gonna get a New York slice at Sbarro.

That sucks, Bri.

Dec 29th 2015

Oh! I used a Neti pot for the first time yesterday. Somebody should have videoed that because I would be a Youtube star by now.

Dec 29th 2015

Bri, I feel that we need more updates on your job frustrations and what you're doing. I'm not being sarcastic...I see snippets from you and feel like I want to know more about what's going on.

Nerfy Life, did you win that pot in a Nasty Christmas exchange? Because maybe it was a special gift meant for somebody else.

Toosie, you are correct. We never change, and have the same problems now that we had 10 years ago. For instance, I was socially shy just like you are now...and I still am...the only thing that changed is that an aggressive woman came after me. Otherwise, I'd still be sitting here wondering if I should call her. Ten years ago I wanted to "get in better shape and start eating better", and wanted to organize all my genealogy stuff into a book...and here I am 10 years later, with the same goals.

It isn't ALL bad to always be the same person. I'm a good dad...I'm an honest and hard-working person, never have issues with standard vices like drugs or alcohol or gambling or cheating, and those things will never change. I just wish I could really affect a change in some areas that I would like to change.

Dec 29th 2015

I've been perseverating on it since yesterday, and I will likely turn it down in a few minutes based on our household finances. I'm not happy, but we need the money.

This is a terrible feeling. Good luck. I'm still wondering if I made the correct decision back in September.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 943
  5. 944
  6. 945
  7. 946
  8. 947
  9. 948
  10. 949
  11. 950
  12. 951