Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Shooting the breeze : Non Office-related chatter
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 944
  5. 945
  6. 946
  7. 947
  8. 948
  9. 949
  10. 950
  11. 951
  12. >
28411 to 28440 of 28527
Dec 29th 2015

Can someone explain this whole Breast feeding war thing to me? It's proliferated my Facebook wall from a few different people, and I'm frankly tired of seeing Alyssa Milano's baby clung boobs on my wall two times a week. Is anyone able to neutrality explain who's at war with who and what the two sides problems are with each other? I wasn't even aware there was an issue, and of course no where on the internet is it explained without bias.

Dec 29th 2015

I admire how close you two are.

We tell each other not to die all the time. You gotta look out for your sibs, man!

I see snippets from you and feel like I want to know more about what's going on.

Yes, Bri, let us in. Let us love you. :-D

Is there a way to ask for the new/old job and a raise? Just get more money at the job you prefer. Just do that.

I'm totally gonna get a New York slice at Sbarro.

These are the life updates I've been missing, Nerfy. :-)

I used a Neti pot for the first time yesterday.

No, I was wrong. this is what I miss. <3

I'm an honest and hard-working person, never have issues with standard vices like drugs or alcohol or gambling or cheating, and those things will never change. I just wish I could really affect a change in some areas that I would like to change.

I see what you're saying. But gambling's kind of fun. And how hard could it be to start drinking? Just replace cokes & water with beer and stuff. ;-)

I'm still wondering if I made the correct decision back in September.

How do you know? I wish we could know.

Dec 29th 2015

Holy crap, Asd is alive. Hey, man!

Is anyone able to neutrality explain who's at war with who and what the two sides problems are with each other?

As near as I can tell, some people think it's inappropriate to breastfeed in public. Other people think it's not. In my opinion, the folks who think it's not, seem to be more vocal about the issue. But, it might be that the folks who think it's inappropriate are equally as vocal, but they speak up in a hateful whisper, or something.

Nobody has ever expressed anger RE public breastfeeding to me... but then, I've never breastfed in public. ;-)

Dec 29th 2015

Is anyone able to neutrality explain who's at war with who and what the two sides problems are with each other?

I'm not sure if I can neutrally explain the issue since I breastfed and did so in public in the South where there were places that I was made to feel bad for doing so.

I don't know what's going on with Alyssa Milano, either. I'm down at our local makerspace right now, packing up the family to head back home. I'll do a little research on what you're talking about and maybe offer some personal experience and opinion? Later.

Also, I LOVE SO MUCH when people are talking here again.

Dec 29th 2015

I'm pretty much the world's biggest prude and I don't have a problem with public breast feeding. Also, maybe I get to see boobs.

But gambling's kind of fun. And how hard could it be to start drinking?

I see what you're saying...if I can change the good areas of my life that are resistant to change, then I can also change the bad areas of my life that are resistant to change? OK, I'm ready to smoke some coke! Wait, is that right? Do you smoke coke? If not, you should. It rhymes. Yep, nailed it.

Dec 29th 2015

People get really upset when I breastfeed in public. Especially my wife.

I wish I'd stayed put in September, but given a chance to undo 90% of that decision today, I didn't. I'm not sure how long I can last at this job, but we need the money at least as long as we're paying for daycare. And the reason I just said 90% is that I would've been taking a a step back professionally today, and that could be costly long-term. It leaves me in a tough spot, but I'd deflect any sympathy toward those without jobs or with jobs that don't meet their living costs.

I'm an honest and hard-working person, never have issues with standard vices like drugs or alcohol or gambling or cheating, and those things will never change. I just wish I could really affect a change in some areas that I would like to change.

This. I don't want a medal, but those traits seem pretty impressive yet don't always seem quite enough.

Ah well. Life is really good, better than I deserve, so I'm just going to make the most of it every day.

Fun additional fact. I got fat again these last several weeks, and I decided today my goal for 2016 is to run, or at least complete, a half-marathon. Kooky, no?

Dec 29th 2015

Is anyone able to neutrality

I like that I not only had to notice this egregious error when it was far too late to fix, but then pretty much ALL of you quoted this snippet, so I had to see me looking pathetic many times over. Yay me.

since I breastfed and did so in public in the South where there were places that I was made to feel bad for doing so.

Anque I live in the south, but spent most of my life in the north, so I've seen it occur both places. I was never offended by it, nor have I ever seen anyone sneer at anyone else doing it (It OBVIOUSLY happens, as you've experienced it, I've just not witnessed it myself) so I guess it surprises me that it's such a big issue. It just seems like the people that are most vocal about its defense seems to be the type of people that go out of their way to make a big deal about doing it in public. Which is not to say it should be done while hiding away in shame... but I mean, there's a discretion factor here, no? This is the part I'm confused about. Is the war about A: The amount of discretion that should be shown whilst doing it in public (heh) or B: The right to do it in public or not? (heh...heh).

I wish I'd stayed put in September, but given a chance to undo 90% of that decision today, I didn't.

Bri this leads me to believe that

and I will likely turn it down in a few minutes based on our household finances

Has in fact occurred at this point. If that's the case, and the ONLY factor is current finances (which you said ends in about a year or so, no?) has to make me think there is a finish line out there, no? I mean that has to be some comfort in that the discomfort isn't set on "infinite" right now?

Is there a way to ask for the new/old job and a raise? Just get more money at the job you prefer. Just do that.

2' you may just have been being ferocious (wow, I haven't made that joke in a long... long.. time) But I think this comment from Bri might disqualify this...

but I'd have a job back there tomorrow if there was an opening. She said to keep checking the postings. There's going to be layoffs first, though.

Dec 30th 2015

Me, too.

I'm pretty much the world's biggest prude and I don't have a problem with public breast feeding. Also, maybe I get to see boobs.

Samesies. Though, if it were me, I'd probably want to be in an out-of-the-way spot... b/c of the first part of that sentence. And the last one, too. haha

Do you smoke coke?

No, you drink it. Anyway, I'm talking about drugs, man.

I don't want a medal, but those traits seem pretty impressive yet don't always seem quite enough.

Yesh. And anyway, it's easier to list off the messed up points, than to remember all the great stuff.

nor have I ever seen anyone sneer at anyone else doing it

Me, either. But, that's probably the worst part of it... antagonizing people, almost secretly. And, it's easy to see why the breastfeeding folks would get more worked up. If the problem is invisible.

2' you may just have been being ferocious

Definitely was. I meant it in a "Have your butler call and make the arrangements" way. But, got tired of typing, there. :-)

Dec 30th 2015

Tritto.

I've never had a baby, but they get hungry at all times of the day, no? I would most certainly encourage a mother to breast feed her baby anywhere she darn well pleases if it means said baby is not going to go hungry.

Dec 30th 2015

Man, what a bunch of pathetic losers you guys all are for checking in on this place and posting, even when you said goodbye years ago.

It's Christmas holidays, and the kids are in bed, so I just read through 20 or so pages of the Manmeat thread to pass some time. As you do. We had a thing were we'd continually post in that thread and say "I'm raising the manmeat!" We were pretty lame. Oh yeah, we started doing that in 2008. Which will be almost eight years ago, in 28 hours time. Huh.

New with me? Well, I'm growing out my beard. It's at the ugly in between stage. My wife would say that every stage past 'nicely groomed' is the ugly stage. Even our friends are telling me it looks bad. But I kinda want to see this out, you know? See how long I can stand it. I doubt I'll last long. I'm not as impervious to peer pressure as I'd like to believe I am, even at my age.

I turn 37 in a couple weeks. When I joined here I was 27. So, yeah. There's that. On a possibly related note, I've gained 12 pounds over the last few months. This coming from a guy who's been the same weight for years. Middle age, yo.

I picked up my guitar again recently, after many years. I am trying to learn a song called "You Can Close Your Eyes", which is a song I learned about because of the CD swap. It was one of LATP's picks. I still email her occassionally to share new music I've been listening to.

Speaking of new music, here's a couple suggestions, should you care to check them out. "The Giving Tree" by The Autumn Film. Oh and Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats. Check out their set on Tiny Desk Concerts on Youtube and then go buy their album. You won't regret it. I've also been listening to a lot of George Jones lately (When I Stop Dreaming - with Tammy Wynette).

The last book I read was called "The Atheist Who Didn't Exist" by Andy Bannister. It was okay. He does a decent job sheddling light on some of the weaker arguments being used by atheists to support their position.

Well, I'll stop talking now. I'll stick around for a while to see if anyone is here to chat. Nice to 'see' some old familiar faces around the Cooler.

Dec 30th 2015

We were pretty lame.

Yeah, I never re-read this forum. Because you guys are lame. It's also why I don't read it now. Because y'all are still lame.

But I kinda want to see this out, you know? See how long I can stand it. I doubt I'll last long

I suggest lots of selfies. If you're not planning to a) keep it or b) grow it out again, might as well take a few pix, you know?

I've gained 12 pounds over the last few months.

I think it's all hair weight.

should you care to check them out

Pass.

I'll stick around for a while to see if anyone is here to chat.

Ugh. Why?

(Secretly glad to see you, D.)

Dec 30th 2015

I doubt I'll last long.

That's what Daoust said.

Dec 30th 2015

New with me? Well, I'm growing out my beard. It's at the ugly in between stage. My wife would say that every stage past 'nicely groomed' is the ugly stage. Even our friends are telling me it looks bad.

Don't say stuff like this with no proof. And I don't mean "Take a selfie and show us!" because I've never exactly had exact proof for EVERYONE of who is who on Facebook, and I remember that, for some, anonymity was a BIG thing for them, so if anything, I mean frame the beard and nothing but the beard in the pic for our amusement.

That's what Daoust said.

Now, this is funny to me, because I distinctly remember assigning roles to everyone (in my own head, of course) as I prone to always do because I'm a huge believer in social structure, and common social structure roles naturally being filled if possible, within a group. Jinx always (AGAIN: IN MY OWN HEAD) filled the role of "Group Alpha Male" for several reasons. 1. I distinctly remember knowing (or being told and believing it) that he was reasonably tall 2. He walked (obvious metaphorically) around with a certain swagger of authority, but not in that annoying, pretentious way that "Second-Fiddle Beta males who think/want to be Alpha males but aren't" walk around with. Rather like, for example, if the Forum was on fire, Jinx would be the person we'd all turn to look at with the "okay, what do we do here" face, fully expecting him to lead the way out.

Dec 31st 2015

certain swagger of authority

I sort of agree, that he has a certain level of authority, in a grandfathery way.

Jinx is old.

Haha

Dec 31st 2015

Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats

Yes. I second this recommendation.

Rather like, for example, if the Forum was on fire, Jinx would be the person we'd all turn to look at with the "okay, what do we do here" face, fully expecting him to lead the way out.

This, too.

Dec 31st 2015

Group Alpha Male

I was striving for funniest, or at least funnier than Dauost, so this is like a second place ribbon, at best.

My wife and I were recently having a discussion about alpha males, and how the most annoying people are the beta males who are trying to prove to you that they are alpha males. They often get into fights with other beta males, while the real alpha males just kind of watch with amusement.

Not that I'm a real alpha male. But I could take all of you guys.

Dec 31st 2015 edited

My wife and I were recently having a discussion about alpha males, and how the most annoying people are the beta males who are trying to prove to you that they are alpha males.

Wow. Just a few weeks prior, I helped a friend come to a realization that he been an alpha male his whole life, and pointed out this exact situation as one of the things that proves it. He somewhat disagreed with me until, literally the next week, he took a personality test at a new job (he wasn't aware that was part of the orientation program). I suddenly get three pictures of this personality test pretty much word for word describing how I described him. He finally agreed with me, and now it's the source of all jokes between us. (He's totally proud of it, but would never in a million years admit that. ---such an alpha male thing to do. That's how you tell a beta male, look for the guy telling you he's an alpha male, and there he is).

Dec 31st 2015

That's how you tell a beta male, look for the guy telling you he's an alpha male, and there he is).

Now I'm glad that I said this:

Not that I'm a real alpha male.

Dec 31st 2015 edited

Is the war about A: The amount of discretion that should be shown whilst doing it in public (heh) or B: The right to do it in public or not? (heh...heh).

Both. Women have been removed from planes because their "public" breastfeeding was making other passengers uncomfortable. I never had a direct confrontation like that (and boy would I have been pissed if I had), but I did get a lot of disgusted looks and sighs and people moving to other places or making polite suggestions about the chair in the bathroom.

They are breasts. Their primary purpose is to feed babies. It is less expensive and healthier for a woman to decide to do that for her babies. If and when she makes that decision, in this day and age, she then has a choice between heeding the "feelings" of other people and shutting herself up in her house, or braving the world with its bizarre expectation that breasts or curves of them only be exposed if you're interested in looking attractive.

Not to get too much information going, but I have relatively large boobs. It is very difficult to breastfeed with large breasts without exposing some part of them. Add to that the fact that the children themselves actually have preferences about whether or not they breastfeed in the dark under a cloak or not. Both of my children used to yank the blanket off their faces until I just gave up. I tried using one of those pretty apron-like things that clasp around your neck and they would just yank off and cry until I moved it.

And that was me trying to be considerate of the uncomfortable feelings of people around me. But the truth is, people need to get over their uncomfortable feelings. They are ONLY BREASTS. They are a functional body part. Women who have to breastfeed their children in public are hurting zero people. Goodness gracious, we have the most screwed up purita-satanical view of any nakedness. It's 2015, party people.

I think the folks who are out doing breast-feed protests are trying to change the status quo. Not asking for it.

Dec 31st 2015

My wife and I were recently having a discussion about alpha males,

I don't generally think about this dynamic unless there is someone else who has decided that they need to let me know that they are leading the pack. Then I just go into diva-management mode so I can still make sure that what needs to get done gets done, regardless of where the credit falls. But I would think that would make me a beta.

Dec 31st 2015

Bri, I am sorry that there's not an adequate choice at this point. Daycare is ridiculous in New York State. It's a shame the kinds of compromises it forces families to make. Is your last place of work the only avenue back to where you want to be?

Dec 31st 2015

Also, yay Daoust!! Good to see your stupid hairy face, I mean.

Dec 31st 2015

But I could take all of you guys.

What, out to dinner?

Dec 31st 2015

What, out to dinner?

This is an excellent idea. Dinner on Jinx!

Jan 2nd 2016

Just read some of the opening pages of the Political thread. Man were you guys full of hope back then.

Jan 3rd 2016

Just read some of the opening pages of the Political thread. Man were you guys full of hope back then.

Ah, youth.

Jan 11th 2016

I miss this place.

Jan 12th 2016

We're still here. Just in case anyone wants to vent or share things that you can't on Facebook. Like this weird rash that I have in my...I mean...that Daoust has been getting...down there. But we're not going to judge him for that or his anal fissures or hot dog fingers.

Jan 12th 2016

It's the killer nano-robots I judge him for.

Jan 13th 2016

Does anyone still have a vagina and want that covered?

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 944
  5. 945
  6. 946
  7. 947
  8. 948
  9. 949
  10. 950
  11. 951
  12. >