Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Doin'It Don Draper Style; the *Mad Men* Thread.
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. >
481 to 501 of 501
May 16th 2014 edited

That was half the problem with it for me. Also, I found all the people in it to be horrible individuals who should die in a fire.

This. Sadly, I still watch it, although I don't know why. Habit, I guess. I really want Don to die in the end. Sorry, Daoust.

Wait, "next year"??? I thought this was the last season. Shit.

May 16th 2014

Also, I found all the people in it to be horrible individuals who should die in a fire.

We're still talking about NA, right?

May 16th 2014

This season has been cut in two: seven episodes now, and seven more in a year.Daoust said many right things.

May 16th 2014

Loses points for lack of Hamnard.

Why are you the way that you are?

May 17th 2014

Breaking bad had it's weak points too. I got sick and tired of Walt always getting into trouble and somehow finding a miraculous way out of it every episode. His trajectories did get a little tiring. But people loved that show. When it ends next year

At first, I read this together and thought that maybe Canada gets Breaking Bad a year later or something.

May 14th 2015

Hey guys, it's your old pal Daoust, here to talk about a show that started out really strong, had great characters, but ultimately may have dragged on too long. However, I'm still invested in it, and I've stayed with it because I wanted to see it out to its end. And, I think it may be the nostalgia talking, but I really feel good about this show right now, and Sam excited to see how it wraps up. I just looked back at the bottom of the last page at a post I wrote about the show at the end of the first half of this final season, and I think my thoughts have held up well, with a few misses. But this last episode has me really wondering what's going to happen now as the show concludes. We all assumed Mad Men would end with a main characters death, but will it be Betty? One thing I don't like that shows do is redeem a character right before they exit them, which is what they've done with Betty, and it looks like they're cleaning Don up, too, so does that mean he's next? For that matter, things appear pretty good for Pete and Peggy right now too. Surely this show won't end with all these characters riding off into the sunset? Well, I just wanted to talk about this show, because I can't sleep and I just watched this ep, and this is always a great, safe place to come back to. Hope you're all well.

May 15th 2015

here to talk about a show that started out really strong, had great characters, but ultimately may have dragged on too long

Yeah, this is an Office board. You're in the right place.

May 17th 2015

I think that's what he was going for. I like the happy endings tied up with a bow, so I assume they'll pull some rugs out on them. This show managed to combine boring storylines with unlikeable characters for the last season or two, however you're supposed to count recent seasons. I've actually been interested in these final episodes and not hated everyone on screen.

So Don's D.B. Cooper, right? Or at least he was going to be until the entire Internet guessed it, pissing off Matthew Weiner, who changed things up to be a, well, a weiner, right?

May 18th 2015

I guess the entire story was always right there, in the title sequence:

An ad man who has his whole world stripped away, sending him plunging to the ground, only to end up back where he started, lounging confidently, a cigarette dangling from his hand

May 18th 2015 edited

Pretty solid ending. I like it more 12 hours later than I did once the credits rolled. Initially, my mind went to: "He's happy as a hippie in a commune while the ad world rolls on in an eye-wink parallel where his newfound source of peace is of course fodder for the biggest ad of its time." But of course he went back and used his week in LaLa Land as inspiration for a triumphant return. For a show centered on just who Don Draper is, that's who he is. We are what we do.

I said above I enjoyed things being tied up nicely for several characters, and that holds for Joan (whose tie-up wasn't without setbacks), Pete and Trudy and even Betty, who got some personal redemption amid a tragic end. But Peggy and Stan? That was out of left field, though not unrealistic or dissonant. It felt last-minute, like they didn't know what else to do with them so why not? Don's ending, though, was pretty perfect because it wasn't an ending at all but a continuation, just as the era the show depicted didn't really end so much as it transitioned to different era.

I have no words for Roger and Megan's mom. Old, chain-smoking nymphos? Gross. Though, I do feel like it was inspired by this board, what with the boning someone's mom angle.

May 18th 2015

what with the boning someone's mom angle.

With your mom, it was a pretty obtuse angle.

May 18th 2015

Maybe, but my mom's angle beats your mom's dangle.

May 18th 2015

Too bad for you that only two people are going to see that funny joke.

May 18th 2015

I do it for the art, not the glory.

May 18th 2015 edited

I like it more 12 hours later than I did once the credits rolled.

I watched it late, and it wasn't over until 2 a.m. and then tried to go to sleep while the Coke jingle and Leonards speech just went around and around in my head. I've been thinking about the episode all day... I'm tempted to just watch it again now. I don't know if I can handle it though.

I am not going to rehash everything. Sepinwall, and the guy at AV Club both did amazing jobs tearing the episode apart, making all the connections and seeing all the things that I never would have seen. Paste had a good viewpoint, too. They talked about the three phone calls Don made in the episode and how they related to the whole arc.

I was reading more stuff about the episode on reddit, and somebody dug something up from an episode way back when Don was out in California again, visiting Anna Draper that really was an important puzzle piece that helps you to realize that the whole show is connected start to front. Here it is:

In 'The Mountain King', Anna gives Don a Tarot card reading. This was the card that ends up in the Third space of the tarot reading. The Third Card space usually means, from my own knowledge, the best somebody can arrive at, or their ideal ending. Anna's telling Don to stop hating himself because he's part of the world, something that he's constantly tried to run away from. He doesn't love because he doesn't think he deserves it; he was born to a prostitute who died in childbirth; he stole a guy's identity and wonders if he's the one who actually died that day. In the end, as shown by the Wheel of Fortune card, things go around and around (like a Carousel). Don ends up selling a new product, but this time he has found himself within his suffering and has found rebirth through learning to love the parts of himself he can't change. You are part of the world, Don. It just took a while for you to get that.

EDIT: Also, the ending is right there in Anna's words. You don't change, but if you can gain wisdom and learn through experience, that's the best you can end up with. Bravo Weiner, you won me over. here is the transcript of the Tarot reading:
Don Draper/Dick Whitman: What about the cards? Should I be worried?
Anna Draper: It’s all here. You’re definitely in a strange place. But here’s the Sun.
Don Draper/Dick Whitman (points to Judgement card) : That can’t be good.
Anna Draper: It is.
Don Draper/Dick Whitman: It’s the end of the world.
Anna Draper: It’s the resurrection. Do you want to know what this means, or not?
Don Draper/Dick Whitman: No, I don’t. I can smell the ocean.
Anna Draper (points to the World card) : This is the one.
Don Draper/Dick Whitman : Who’s she?
Anna Draper: Shes the soul of the world. She’s in a very important spot here. This is you; what you are bringing to the reading. She says you are part of the world. Air, water, every living thing is connected to you.
Don Draper/Dick Whitman: It’s a nice thought.
Anna Draper: It is.
Don Draper/Dick Whitman: What does it mean?
Anna Draper: It means the only thing keeping you from being happy is the belief that you are alone.
Don Draper/Dick Whitman: What if it’s true?
Anna Draper: Then you can change.
Don Draper/Dick Whitman: People don’t change.
Anna Draper: I think she stands for wisdom. Once you live, you learn things.

I don't know... That kinda says a lot, I think. Anyway, I think Mad Men was/is one of the best shows in television history, and maybe I just think that because I stuck with it so long. And I just couldn't keep it all to myself.

PS. Three people at least saw that joke of Brians.

May 18th 2015

PS. Three people at least saw that joke of Brians.

I would have seen it, but I've blocked him.

May 18th 2015

I saw it, but since I stopped watching the show mid-way through the second season I didn't chime in.

May 19th 2015

After mulling it over for a day, I think they ended the show about as well as they could. But my first reaction was this:

May 19th 2015

I would have seen it, but I've blocked him.

Reading my recaps of nights with her mom was too much for her.

May 22nd 2015

What Don Draper Was Thinking in the Final Minutes of “Mad Men”:

It’s so nice here, by the ocean. Meditating. No thoughts. Wait. Ladies. I like ladies. So many ladies. Pop the thought like a bubble. Let it float away. Ha ha. A bubble. Champagne has bubbles. I like champagne. I like alcohol. I like it so much. I would drink rubbing alcohol if there were no other alcohol around. I would. Why not? Wait. Why is my back to the ocean? Oh well. Just be. Wind on skin. Heat of sun. Sounds of waves in the distance. Just … be … here … now … in the present. Though later I will have sex with one and possibly three of these women here meditating. Wait. Maybe I shouldn’t. Who am I? Am I Don or Dick? What is it I want? What am I running from? Betty’s dying. Sally hates me. Still. Three women would be great. I’m thirsty. Alcohol. Maybe a Coke. Coke has bubbles. Am I smiling? I feel like I may be smiling. I wish I could ask someone if I was smiling. But then I wouldn’t be smiling. If I had been smiling. If I had a Coke, I’d have a Coke and a smile. That’s weird. I need to change. To be better. I hate myself. I need to learn to be a better person. I’d like to teach myself French. Megan spoke French. Megan was annoying. God, she was annoying. Everything about her was annoying, even when she spoke French, which is rare, as French is so melodic. I don’t miss her. Why did I give her a million dollars? That’s a lot of money. In 2015, it’s like five million three hundred and eighty thousand dollars. I’ll be eighty-eight then. If I’m alive. Breathe, Don. Dick. Whatever. The instructor quoted the Buddha, who said, “Death is certain. And the hour of our death is uncertain. So what is the most important thing?” Smoking. I’d kill for a smoke. Why do I say “What?” so much, with a really annoyed face? I do that a lot. Too much? Maybe I could live here. In California. What would I do all day? I miss advertising. I hate advertising. Advertising is a lie. I’m a lie. Yoga is different from yogurt. Yogurt smells funny. Yoga is a thing from India. Namaste means yoga pants. I think that’s what he said. Or maybe it means aloha, which means “hello” and “goodbye” and “Hey, you, look over there.” I may be wrong. I once knew a girl named Lulu. In high school. I took her to a movie and, after, we had lemonade. Lulu Lemonade, I called her, though not to her face. I wonder if she likes yoga. Or yogurt. Yogurt’s kind of gross. If I were a bird, I would want to be a hawk because I could swoop down and steal people’s house pets. That’s not nice. It’s a funny visual, though, a hawk taking a cat out of a yard. Maybe it’s not that funny. For the cat. Maybe I should go back to New York. Advertising is all I have. But why can’t I learn something new? I could teach. Copywriting. Or drinking. Or how to be with the ladies. Or how to say “What?” in an annoyed voice. Introduction to What. Advanced What. What for Seniors. Plumbing’s a good gig. Fix sinks. I could teach sink-fixing. I could teach the world how to fix sinks. That’s weird. I’m still thirsty. Maybe a trip to the mountains after this. Maybe all of us could go. We’d need provisions. And Coke. I’d like to teach a course in camping after taking a course in camping, as I don’t know much about it. I hope we don’t do the chanting part. All of us. Chanting. Here. Outside. In perfect harmony. Boy, I could use a Coke. Wait.

May 26th 2015

I'm sitting at my desk at work reading this, trying not to rupture my innards from holding in the laughter.

I would give one million dollars to hear this in Jon Hamm's voice.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17