Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Not unattractive, amiright?: The hotties in politics thread
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
91 to 101 of 101
Jun 29th 2012

What do you mean "self insures"? You save up $$$ and just pay for folks' medical costs?

Jun 29th 2012

I don't think that's a thing, Anque. Seems like that'd be illegal, you know, right to privacy, etc.

Jun 29th 2012

Wikipedia can explain everything:

Self-funded health care is a self insurance arrangement whereby an employer provides health or disability benefits to employees with its own funds. This is different from fully insured plans where the employer contracts an insurance company to cover the employees and dependents. In self-funded health care, the employer assumes the direct risk for payment of the claims for benefits.

It's something that smaller companies have to do. We don't have enough employees to qualify for a manageable rate from insurance carriers. So we self insure. We hire out a third party company to administer the program.

Jun 29th 2012

We hire out a third party company to administer the program.

Interesting. So that way you don't have to be privy to any individual's private health information. I've always wondered if that could truly be a better way to go. I guess as long as no one comes down with leukemia, everything works out okay?

Jun 29th 2012

I guess as long as no one comes down with leukemia, everything works out okay?

Sort of. More than anything, it's the cost of prescription drugs which has been throwing things out of whack.

Jun 29th 2012

I bet. Even with a nice plan provided by a huge company, we are amazed at what we pay every month for those things.

Jun 30th 2012

and the penalty would have to be gigantic to outweigh what we spend on health care every year.

Perhaps the government WANTS your business to stop insuring it's employees. That way, they will go on the government plan.

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with a...kind of a free-spirited guy...who all agog over Roberts and what he had given them. I told him that while it looks like Roberts gave us Obamacare, look very carefully at what he said about the commerce clause. He pretty much neutered it as a rationale for future government meddling.

Anyways, this guy was sure that the insurance companies were sitting on mountains of cash, and this new law was going to take that money and distribute it to the regular folks. He knows this for sure, because his sister works in the insurance industry, and she's a lazy SOB who sits in her office all day and plans her next vacation.

Jun 30th 2012

Perhaps the government WANTS your business to stop insuring it's employees. That way, they will go on the government plan.

It is a possible outcome. Whether or not that was the intended outcome, I can't say.

Jun 30th 2012

Anyways, this guy was sure that the insurance companies were sitting on mountains of cash, and this new law was going to take that money and distribute it to the regular folks.

Well, there is a clause in the ACA that says the insurance companies have to spend 80% on healthcare related services to their subscribers, and the remaining 20% on administrative costs, and if the 80% isn't met, it results in rebates to the insured, equaling up to the original 80%. The checks are due to go out later this summer. Is that what that guy was referring to, perhaps?

Jun 30th 2012

He didn't have the details. He was just gleeful that Obama was going to stick it to those rich insurance companies.

the insurance companies have to spend 80% on healthcare related services to their subscribers, and the remaining 20% on administrative costs

If he can do that, why can't he just wave a wand and make the oil companies sell gas for 50 cents a gallon?

Jun 30th 2012

That's in the second term...

  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
91 to 101 of 101
Top of PageBack to discussions