Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
7.01 Nepotism
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. >
1 to 30 of 209
Sep 19th 2010
  • Season 7 : Episode 1
  • First aired on September 23, 2010

Summary courtesy of NBC:

MICHAEL HIRES A NEW OFFICE ASSISTANT AND CAUSES OUTRAGE IN THE OFFICE- KATHY BATES (“Valentines Day,” “The Blind Side”) AND EVAN PETERS (“One Tree Hill,” "Kick Ass”) GUEST STAR—Michael (Golden Globe winner Steve Carell) refuses to fire the new office assistant (guest star Evan Peters) after everyone complains about his bad attitude. Andy (Ed Helms) plays it cool after Erin (Ellie Kemper) shows interest in another man. Meanwhile, Pam (Jenna Fischer) tries to impress Jim (John Krasinski) by pulling an office prank of her own. Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Angela Kinsey, Phyllis Smith, Oscar Nunez, Creed Bratton, Paul Lieberstein, B.J. Novak, Craig Robinson, Rainn Wilson, and Zach Woods also star.

Sep 19th 2010

First!

Excited!

Even if no one else is!

Sep 19th 2010

Season 7 : Episode 1

So that's still going on, huh?

Sep 19th 2010

I'm just praying they heard some of the complaints about last year. Unfortunately Mindy Kaling seems to have an outsized influence in the writers room and Paul Lieberstein seemed baffled when Sepinwall mentioned them so I'm not overly optimistic. Call me cautiously pessimistic.

Sep 19th 2010

I'm looking forward to it. I really am.

Sep 19th 2010

Even if no one else is!

I am! I am!

Sep 19th 2010

Hi lem!

Sep 19th 2010

So that's still going on, huh?

This. Still, I'll watch it.

Sep 20th 2010

Even though we all acknowledge that the show is a mere shadow of its former self these days, I still admit to getting a little excited around season premieres, and finales. I think that is partly due to how I felt in earlier seasons leading up to the big first and last eps. It's almost embarrassing to think about how excited I was about the S3 premiere. How I geeked out about every spoilery detail that would come out of the interwebs. Mostly I liked having a community like this to share that excitement with. It was nice to know I wasn't the only one who cared about the show as much as I did.

Another reason I look forward to premieres now is because it sometimes brings back people to the Cooler who haven't been around for a while. Weird, huh? But I'm comfortable with who I am.

Sep 20th 2010

Speaking of the old days, I was wandering around TWOP the other day and noticed this old thread. It begins in March 2004 and the first few pages are interesting. It looks like the pilot had already been filmed at that point which is over a year before airing.

Sep 20th 2010

I'll have to peruse that later. For now, I give you...

Hopefully this show will avoid being dipped in the NBC vat of piping hot suckage.

Although Gareth and Tim might be reversed. The seated one isn't cute enough to be the US version of our Tim.

Sep 20th 2010

Yeah, the opinions evolve over time. How anyone thought Rainn Wilson was going to be Jim/Tim is a bit baffling.

Sep 20th 2010 edited

I managed to see a copy of the pilot of the US "Office" and was underwhelmed. It's not as bad as the US version of "Coupling", but you're left just wondering why they bothered. The pilot is pretty much the same script as the first episode of the UK version, except with all British references removed ("jelly" becomes "jello", although they kept the "custardy" gag). The difference is that Steve Carrell doesn't capture the patheticness of the David Brent character. Ricky Gervais injected some pathos into the character of David; even though he is constantly trying to crack jokes and be everybody's "friend", it's more of in a wanting-to-be-liked way than in an obnoxious way. With Carrell, it just seems like he is a wacky guy who is cracking jokes all the time, a la Robin Williams, where it becomes more wearying than ingratiating. You just want to tell him to shut up.

The guy who plays the Tim character is not bad. He has the same kind of cuddly good looks as Martin Freeman, and he does the eye rolling and sarcastic line deliveries well ("I'm boring myself just talking about this"- another line carried straight over from the original script).

The guy who is the Gareth character is terrible. He is really nothing like the original character (seems more jock-type bullyish than nerdy), and doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would be a volunteer deputy (which is what they made him instead of being in the Territorial Army).

The girl who plays the Dawn role is fine, although her mannerisms and way of speaking remind me a lot of Mary Lynn Rajskub (who I believe was also up for the role). Mary Lynn would have been preferable in my opinion; she has a quirkiness about her that would have worked well.

The worst thing about the pilot is that it's only 23 minutes long, so a lot of the scenes seem rushed compared to their British counterparts. The great thing about the original series was the lackadaisical, deliberately slow atmosphere that really let the jokes sink in- there was a lot of empty space between the lines, and it added a nice awkward atmosphere to the show that was very realistic. With only 23 minutes, they had to "punch up" the scenes a little bit, cut right to the joke and a lot of the subtlety is lost. It ends up seeming more like a traditional sitcom with gag after gag, rather than a documentary parody which is what it's supposed to be. The one scene that did cross over pretty well from the UK version is the scene where David pretends to "fire" Dawn. They actually slowed things down enough in this scene that the awkwardness came through. Again, however, they felt the need to stick in stupid American references to "Punk'd" and "The Jamie Kennedy Experiment" where they weren't really needed.

I don't see the show really catching on- it's not done well enough to appeal to people that haven't seen the original show, and it will seem pointless to those who have. In this day and age of DVDs and BBC A

Sep 20th 2010

Ah ha ha ha. Suck it, Mr. Stupid Reviewer!

Sep 20th 2010

I didn't disagree with as much of that as I expected. Or as I probably once did.

Sep 20th 2010

I agreed with a lot of the stuff he was saying in that second last paragraph, about the 23 minute episode.

Sep 20th 2010

I'm looking forward to it. I really am.

Same here. I am hopeful they will not want to have Steve Carell sail off into the sunset on a sea of Season 6-style suckage. (Yes, I am all about the alliteration).

Sep 20th 2010

Hi lem!

What up, yo?

Sep 20th 2010

I was definitely not creeping your FB profile today to see your pictures of you and your son, and I definitely didn't think "Hey, there's lem! And she looks great!" because it's okay if a girl says that about you, but not a guy, who you only know from an internet site.

Sep 20th 2010 edited

The girl who plays the Dawn role is fine, although her mannerisms and way of speaking remind me a lot of Mary Lynn Rajskub (who I believe was also up for the role). Mary Lynn would have been preferable in my opinion; she has a quirkiness about her that would have worked well.

While I'm glad JF got the part, I can totally picture this.

Sep 20th 2010

I am very glad that Mary Lynn Rajskub did not get the part. Her "quirkiness" would have had me rooting for Roy by the middle of S2.

Sep 20th 2010

Obviously Jenna was the perfect choice. Other than Angela Kinsey, do we know who else was considered for the part?

Sep 20th 2010

I was definitely not creeping your FB profile today to see your pictures of you and your son, and I definitely didn't think "Hey, there's lem! And she looks great!" because it's okay if a girl says that about you, but not a guy, who you only know from an internet site.

Same here! Only I was, because I'm a girl, and it's ok to tell you. You look great! And your kid melts my cute detector.

Sep 20th 2010

Also, I'm looking forward to the premiere.

Sep 20th 2010

I will watch it. I'm not really expecting it to be super, but hope to be surprised.

Sep 21st 2010

Mary Lynn Rajskub

Am I the only one in the world who has never heard of this girl?

Sep 21st 2010

Did you ever watch 24?

Sep 21st 2010

Nope.

Sep 21st 2010

Me neither, but she was in Punch Drunk Love and probably some other forgettable stuff. I'm glad they didn't cast her.

Sep 21st 2010

I'm glad they didn't cast her.

If they had, I would never have comed here.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. >
1 to 30 of 209
Top of PageBack to discussions