Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
7.03 Andy's Play
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 48
Oct 2nd 2010
  • Season 7 : Episode 3
  • First aired on October 7, 2010

Summary courtesy of NBC:

ANDY TRIES TO IMPRESS ERIN AT HIS LOCAL PLAY—Andy (Ed Helms) invites the entire office to his community theater production of Sweeney Todd in hopes that Erin (Ellie Kemper) will attend. Michael (Steve Carell) tries to put his jealousy aside and enjoy the performance while Jim (John Krasinski) and Pam (Jenna Fischer) struggle with their incompetent babysitter. Rainn Wilson, B.J. Novak, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Angela Kinsey, Phyllis Smith, Oscar Nunez, Creed Bratton, Paul Lieberstein, Craig Robinson and Zach Woods also star.

Oct 3rd 2010

Fir--

Looks like it could be good. Andy in his element.

Oct 3rd 2010

Yes. And Michael being jealous of Andy-- presumably for succeeding as a local actor-- should be funny. It will be fun to see an homage to Sweeney Todd, too.

Oct 3rd 2010

I wonder why Sweeney Todd. Is there a revival or something? Or just funny plot elements to get Dwight going in talking heads and other scenes?

Oct 3rd 2010

Well, there was the relatively recent movie with Alan Rickman and Johnny Depp. Which was awesome. I am really looking forward to this. And I bet the babysitter stuff will be fun.

Oct 3rd 2010

Based solely on description I'm not as excited about this one as I was the other two. I hope they continue to make good work of the ensemble.

Oct 3rd 2010 edited

I think I'm with you AMJ. This sounds kind of stunty. I hate singing Andy.

Oct 3rd 2010

I'll bet the babysitter is Erin.

Oct 4th 2010 edited

I'm very excited about this. Sweeney Todd is one of my favorite plays - the music is fantastic. I know that isn't the point of the episode, and they probably used it for some silly macabre plot possibilities, but it makes me happy anyway, so suck it. (BTW, Anque, I beg to differ about the film version. They should have done it with Meryl Streep and Russell Crowe, and let Mendes direct, as was bandied about for awhile. Burton made it seem absurd and what's her name that he's married to was just not Mrs.Lovett.) Apologies for the rant.

The babysitter stuff has real potential as well. I don't think it's Erin though, because how could Andy impress Erin if she's not there?

Oct 4th 2010

I think it backfires on him. He goes to a lot of trouble to make it seem really exciting, so Pam and Jim decide they'll go if they can get a sitter. Erin agrees to do it, unbeknownst to Andy.

Oct 4th 2010

Interesting, bwc.

Oct 4th 2010

I think it backfires on him. He goes to a lot of trouble to make it seem really exciting, so Pam and Jim decide they'll go if they can get a sitter. Erin agrees to do it, unbeknownst to Andy.

Yep. I hope I'm wrong, but maybe the writers decided that Hamnard (aka Bizarro Jim/Pam) didn't work because there was no Roy. Enter Gabe.

Oct 4th 2010

(BTW, Anque, I beg to differ about the film version. They should have done it with Meryl Streep and Russell Crowe, and let Mendes direct, as was bandied about for awhile. Burton made it seem absurd and what's her name that he's married to was just not Mrs.Lovett.)

TTP - Oh, gosh don't apologize! To be honest, my first (and only so far) exposure to Sweeney Todd was in the film version and I was so dazzled and impressed by Alan Rickman...SINGING!...that I just adored it. Of course, the music is all amazing and what an incredible story! LOVED it. I kind of like Burton's sensibility, however, I've never really seen him taken on a beloved favorite classic of mine, so I'll reserve judgement. Like Burton does Cabaret? That would probably be very wrong.

Oct 4th 2010

Like Burton does Cabaret? That would probably be very wrong.

Yes! Like that. And yes, Alan Rickman is always awesome, but you might want to go see Sweeney Todd for real some time. The music with all those monster thick chords will give you good chill bumps. And then there's "A Little Priest." grin

Now I'm wondering who Andy will play - he's a tenor so: Jo- annn- aaaaa! snork

Yep. I hope I'm wrong, but maybe the writers decided that Hamnard (aka Bizarro Jim/Pam) didn't work because there was no Roy. Enter Gabe.

Man, I hope you're wrong, too. I like Andy as a character, but I am in no way invested in his love life, not because there's no Roy, but because I don't identify with him. That was one of the big reasons Jim and Pam worked - because they were relatively normal and it could easily be a "by the grace of God there go I" situation, so we cared deeply about what happened. They can write in a thousand Roys/Gabes/Erins/Angelas and I still won't care so much about who Andy dates.

Oct 4th 2010

They can write in a thousand Roys/Gabes/Erins/Angelas

You're going to love Season 11.

Oct 4th 2010 edited

I hope I'm wrong, but maybe the writers decided that Hamnard (aka Bizarro Jim/Pam) didn't work because there was no Roy. Enter Gabe.

DC desparately dials 911

Or what TTP said.

Oct 5th 2010

Hamnard (aka Bizarro Jim/Pam)

It's catching on!!

Hamnard!

Oct 7th 2010

NEW OFFICE TONIGHT M'NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS!!!

Oct 7th 2010

Really? Huh.

I was thinking about watching the Psych DVD. But I guess I could watch Community first.

I hope this is funny, though.

Oct 7th 2010

I think I'm gonna watch Bones and try to go to bed early. Maybe get some writing done.

Oct 7th 2010

Good night, Grandpa.

Oct 7th 2010

That David Boreanaz is dreamy. Plus, I heard he cheats, which gives people a chance.

Oct 7th 2010

I like him, too.

Oct 7th 2010

A couple of very funny moments, some truly cringeworthy moments, and a few great big shark jump moments.

Oct 7th 2010

A couple of very funny moments, some truly cringeworthy moments

Pretty much this. I was afraid they were going to try to re-do Season 2 with Andy/Erin/Gabe as Jim/Pam/Roy. This episode did nothing to dispel those fears. And now we can throw Fancy New Martin into the mix. I don't know. We'll see.

Oct 7th 2010

There were some parts I chuckled at and a lot more I was ambivalent at best about.

Oct 7th 2010

It's one thing to have a community theater production be a back drop for an episode. You can even insert the story into the production itself. But there were long stretches where the musical within the show was pretty much the show itself. It wasn't all bad at all, but those were unintentionally cringeworthy parts.

Oct 7th 2010

Holy Guacamole! I was right.

It was okay. Goodnotgreat.

I'm going to be in the minority, I think, but I like Dwangela. I am rooting for them to get back together. Not in a fun, JAM-like way, but more that they deserve one another, and they seem to be the best match for each other.

Oct 7th 2010

You are exactly awesome. No more, no less.

Oct 7th 2010

Okay, when Erin was first introduced, I thought it was a nice twist that she was quirky and a bit sheltered, but now the writers have made her flat-out stupid.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 48
Top of PageBack to discussions