Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
7.09 WUPHF.com
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 109
Nov 13th 2010
  • Season 7 : Episode 9
  • First aired on November 18, 2010

Summary courtesy of NBC:

RYAN GETS THE OFFICE INVESTED IN HIS INTERNET STARTUP—KATHY BATES (“The Blind Side”) AND JACK COLEMAN GUEST STAR (“Heroes”)—More than money is at stake as Michael (Golden Globe winner Steve Carell) helps charm people into investing in Ryan's (B.J. Novak) internet company. Dwight (Rainn Wilson) capitalizes on both the Thanksgiving holiday and his childhood memories by creating a hay festival in the parking lot, while Jim (John Krasinski) discovers that a new Dunder Mifflin policy prevents him from earning commission. Jenna Fischer, Ed Helms, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Angela Kinsey, Phyllis Smith, Oscar Nunez, Creed Bratton, Ellie Kemper, Craig Robinson, Paul Lieberstein and Zach Woods also star.

Nov 15th 2010

I feel apathetic about this description.

Nov 15th 2010

Michael (Golden Globe winner Steve Carell)

Wasn't that like four years ago?

by creating a hay festival in the parking lot

This part sounds like it could be fun.

Nov 15th 2010

Your mom sounds like she would be fun, but they don't put her on television.

Zing!

Nov 15th 2010

So they'll be in the office? No Cece? No jealous Andy? What is happening to this show?

Nov 15th 2010

by creating a hay festival in the parking lot

This part sounds like it could be fun.

Yeah. I wanted to create a snow festival in college. that or a beach party with inflatable pools and a truck load of sand.

Nov 15th 2010

So they'll be in the office? No Cece? No jealous Andy? What is happening to this show?

You really think they will ignore those central elements to the show? What is the color of the sky in your world?

Nov 18th 2010

JACK COLEMAN GUEST STAR (“Heroes”)—

This better be awesome.

Nov 18th 2010

I'd already forgotten who that was. To be fair, he was one of the few consistently decent actors on that show. It might not suck.

Nov 18th 2010

Yeah I should lower my expectations to might not suck.

Nov 18th 2010

That's what he said.

Nov 18th 2010

I wasn't expecting much, but I pretty much enjoyed all of that.

Nov 18th 2010

I wasn't expecting much, but I pretty much enjoyed all of that.

Aaaand, that's what she said.

Nov 18th 2010

That was a good episode. The bad episodes, or at least the bad moments, really irk me. I don't believe I was irked once during this one. OK, maybe a little by Michael generally, but other than that. Excellent prank by Jim on that gay bastard Gabe. And excellent use of a Company man to woo Angela away from the Hay King.

Nov 18th 2010

I can't imagine that anyone would actually invest with Ryan at this point, but it was a good episode. I liked the open, Darryl grabbing Ryan by the scruff, Gabe getting pranked, and Angela meeting a boy.

Nov 18th 2010

Angela met someone not an employee of Dunder Mifflin.

Andy didn't moon over Erin once.

The password discussion in the cold open. Yeah, I enjoyed this one a lot. They managed to move the Michael plot forward without bludgeoning me over the head with it. Even the WUPHF thing almost made sense. More of these please.

Nov 18th 2010

I think this one and the Halloween episode were some of the best ones I've ever seen. How can they go from those to The Christening?

Nov 19th 2010

I liked the in-the-office plots better than the Hay King plot, but both were still pretty good. I thought they did a good job of showcasing Michael's love for his family, despite their many failings. Michael Scott believes in the best in people, just as he wants people to see and believe in the best that is in him. So it makes sense that he keeps Ryan around and indulges him. But Michael's also not an idiot and he knows, deep down, when he is being taken advantage of, and I thought that the writers had him very intelligently dealing with Ryan's scheming.

Nov 19th 2010

How can they go from those to The Christening?

I know that writing the episodes is a group effort, but the two previous episodes were credited to new writers while this one went to Aaron Shure who has been around awhile.

Nov 19th 2010

But Michael's also not an idiot and he knows, deep down, when he is being taken advantage of, and I thought that the writers had him very intelligently dealing with Ryan's scheming.

This was really good writing. I expected him to either realize Ryan is a jerk and tell him to eff off, or be clueless and not realize what is going on. They surprised me...he does know what's going on, but he loves Ryan like a father loves a son who might be a screw up. I loved Michael's line about how he'd rather lose his money betting on his friends than...whatever he said.

Nov 19th 2010

I stopped reading Sepinwall when Mad Men ended. Does he write about Community? I don't blame him for giving up on The Office. Only so many shows you can watch in a week and hours you can write in a day.

Nov 19th 2010

To be critical of what I thought was a great episode (something I haven't said in a while), I've seen Michael go through these things too often to care anymore. I get that he's naive and loyal to a fault. I get that he has these moments of clarity and self-honesty that produce flashes of wisdom. Great. What's next? It was really well done, but it felt repetitive.

OK, no more of that. I choose to focus on Angela and HRG, Darryl roughing up Ryan, Kelly inventing WUPHF, the college only wanting the URL, life shining on Mose, gay bastard!, Gabe's locker room aversions and Stanley's dream of riding a lighthouse through the cosmos. They should promote this Shure guy to head writer or something. Or at least give him a Christmas bonus for this one.

Nov 19th 2010

I don't blame Sepinwall either. When he stops liking something, he stops blogging about it. I'd miss reading his take, though. I'm selfish that way.

Nov 19th 2010

Does he write about Community?

Yes, he has a raging boner for it.

Nov 19th 2010 edited

I detect a hint of snark.

Nov 19th 2010 edited

This phrase doesn't get said enough around here, especially since we shut down the Growing Pains thread.

Nov 19th 2010

I was surprised Sepinwall hated this one that much, but I can see why he might want to stop blogging about it especially given how loaded the Thursday night schedule is. I want to believe that this episode is the norm and the past two (and most of S6) the outliers, but even my rose-colored glasses aren't that dark. I will miss his take though.

Nov 19th 2010

Yay, a good one! I thought I would hate this one from the episode synopsis, but it was so lovely and tame and the characters were. . . normal. Jim was Jim, Pam was Pam, Michael was Michael. I loved Michael's talking head at the end, felt like old times. Also, Gabe is funny.

Other funny things:

"Think about you're commission cap as a naked old man in a gym.

"You had me at sex." "Pervert."

"All that color." (Erin with a zinger!)

"Why have I been separating the trash into whites and colors"

"That's what Oscar said."

"Toby is the instruction card you throw away."

Nov 19th 2010

Wow, after reading all your comments I think I need to watch this one again. On first viewing, I did not like it at all. I didn't laugh once and kept finding myself doing other things instead of glued to the TV like in the old days. I didn't even think twice about deleting it from my DVR right after I watched it. Maybe I'll check it out online over the weekend and see what you're all talking about.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
1 to 30 of 109
Top of PageBack to discussions