Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
7.17 Todd Packer
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 32
Feb 19th 2011 edited
  • Season 7 : Episode 17
  • First aired on February 24, 2011

Summary courtesy of NBC:

"TODD PACKER" FORMER CO-WORKER TODD PACKER RETURNS TO THE OFFICE LOOKING FOR WORK, BUT WILL HIS FORMER OFFICE MATES PUSH FOR HIM TO BE RE-HIRED?--AMY RYAN AND DAVID KOECHNER GUEST-STAR--After many years and motel rooms, Dunder Mifflin traveling salesman (and Michael Scott's best friend) Todd Packer (guest star David Koechner, "American Dad") is ready to leave the road behind and take a desk job in the office. However, it remains to be seen if Jim (John Krazkinski), Dwight (Rainn Wilson), Holly (guest star Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone") and the rest of the office are ready for Todd. Elsewhere, after his computer freezes for the millionth time, Andy (Ed Helms) battles office administrator Pam (Jenna Fischer) for a new computer. Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Angela Kinsey, Ellie Kemper, Phyllis Smith, Oscar Nunez, Creed Bratton and B.J. Novak star.

Feb 19th 2011

Shouldn't it be Todd Packer?

Feb 19th 2011

I took the liberty of fixing the typo. Hope that's OK, James.

This could be a great one.

Feb 19th 2011

Watching Packer get abused by the office folks after his years of douchebag behavior could be entertaining.

Feb 19th 2011

Best. Episode Title. EVER.

Feb 21st 2011

General consensus seems to be that this will be Michael's "f.o. Finchy" moment. Seems pretty lazy to me. Which is why it makes sense.

Feb 21st 2011

Michael's "f.o. Finchy" moment.

What?

Feb 21st 2011

I believe it's a reference to the final U.K. Office special, where David tells Finch to eff off. That's the final one, right?

Feb 21st 2011

Right. That's a good episode.

Feb 21st 2011

final U.K. Office special

Watched the Christmas Special this week-end. They did a feel-good ending without going over the top. Tim's speech at the end is awesome.

Feb 21st 2011

Yeah, Tim's speech and David's slight evolution to a semi-decent human being were both really well done and felt deserved. If they have a similar moment with Michael here it will feel like a cheap ripoff. Much like miraculously having Holly return, using Packer as an instrument of Michael's maturation after not really being on the show for four years seems kind of lame.

Feb 21st 2011

"General consensus" is redundant.

If they have a similar moment with Michael here it will feel like a cheap ripoff.

I believe the phrase is "par for the course". They had about 20 episodes of good stuff in them, which was all spent long ago. When they started ripping off YouTube was when you knew it was over for sure.

Feb 22nd 2011

"General consensus" is redundant.

But correctly spelled. Which is all I was shooting for.

Feb 22nd 2011

But correctly spelled. Which is all I was shooting for.

Nice comeback. I'm stealing that someday.

Feb 23rd 2011

If they have a similar moment with Michael here it will feel like a cheap ripoff.

This.
Unfortunately, I'd bet that is what happens as so few would know it was a ripoff.

Feb 24th 2011

I thought this was pretty good. Yeah, the whole Packer thing was like waiting for a shoe to drop, but the way they got rid of him felt right. Koechner was great. I lol'd a few times. Hell, they even brought back Jim Halpert.

But using Season 6 leftovers for the cold open was pretty weak.

Feb 24th 2011

Holy crap. It's 10:23, and I just realized from reading this thread that it's Thursday. I've been so thrown off all week by what day it is.

Feb 24th 2011

Jim's drawer prank was awesome. The rest of it was good, if fairly forgettable.

Feb 24th 2011

I'm half way through and it's pretty good! Plenty of laughs, nothing too over the top. Jim and Dwight are golden. 498 weeks?

Feb 24th 2011

There were several funny moments in this episode, but the whole Packer thing seemed slapped together. How does him driving off to Tallahassee actually get rid of him?

Feb 24th 2011

I found my mind drifting through much of the Packer stuff, but overall really liked this one. I'm happy that they've toned down Michael and Holly and am now firmly on the "I want this to end well for Michael" bandwagon. And Erin! Who would have thought I'd actually like Erin? These last two or three episodes, she's been great. It's like the writers actually listened to some of the complaints about her being too over the top. Jim seemed like his old self, and adorable Pam was....well, adorable.

The episodes since PDA have, for me, felt very much like The Office of old. I think it's the spy cams.

Feb 25th 2011

Maybe it was the NeoCitron I was doped up on, but I didn't find much about this episode to laugh about. All the Packer stuff was just okay. I only laughed when he humped the guys under the desk. David Koechner deserved a better send off episode, but I still don't know how they'd have done it.

The stuff with Andy and Pam was the most watchable, for me, anyway.

Feb 25th 2011

How does him driving off to Tallahassee actually get rid of him?

I wondered the same thing. It would be funny if that backfired on Jim & Dwight. After all, they did send him to Jo's back yard. Literally.

Feb 25th 2011

Maybe they should have with idea #135.

Feb 26th 2011

I liked the episode. It's the first one credited to Amelie Gillette, who used to write for The A.V. Club and is hilarious.

Mar 18th 2011

Halfway through watching this one (finally) and so far the only really good part is Erin and her ant frustration.

Mar 18th 2011

Wow. This episode has like S1 volume of comments.

Mar 18th 2011

Okay, now I've seen the Justice Beaver moment. That takes new top spot for the episode.

Mar 18th 2011

They really sanded off Packer's rough edges in this one which sort of ruins the story line.

Mar 18th 2011

Having just watched "Sexual Harassment," I found it jarring to remember just what an abrasive tool he'd been.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 32
Top of PageBack to discussions