Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
7.18 Garage Sale
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 51
Mar 19th 2011
  • Season 7 : Episode 18
  • First aired on March 24, 2011

Summary courtesy of NBC:

“GARAGE SALE,” THE OFFICE HOLDS ITS FIRST GARAGE SALE IN THE WAREHOUSE, WHILE MICHAEL FINALLY POPS THE QUESTION TO HOLLY – AMY RYAN ("Gone Baby Gone") GUEST STARS -- Michael (Golden Globe winner Steve Carell) decides to propose to Holly (guest star Amy Ryan). Holly makes her final appearance. John Krasinski, Rainn Wilson, Jenna Fischer, Ed Helms,Craig Robinson, Brian Baumgartner, Leslie David Baker, Kate Flannery, Mindy Kaling, Angela Kinsey, Phyllis Smith, Creed Bratton, Ellie Kemper, and Zach Woods also star.

Mar 20th 2011

I really hope there is more to this episode than this description and the preview have shown.

Mar 21st 2011

I really hope there is more to this episode than this description and the preview have shown.

We want Hamnard!

Mar 21st 2011

WHILE MICHAEL FINALLY POPS THE QUESTION TO HOLLY

Finally, huh?

Mar 21st 2011

This is where the stage begins to be set for Michael's departure?

Mar 21st 2011

Guess so.

Finally, huh?

Yeah, I was thinking more like unavoidably, inevitably or excruciatingly.

Mar 22nd 2011 edited

Holly's FINAL appearance? Well...Steve Carrell's days are numbered this season (unbeknownst to Michael Scott)

Mar 24th 2011

Alright, I admit it. The end of this episode got to me.

Mar 24th 2011

I LOVED it. I really did. It's been a really, really long time since this show killed me emotionally, but it did tonight. I even caught my husband wiping away a tear. This one's staying on the DVR for awhile.

Mar 24th 2011

Same here. I didn't think it would, but it did.

Mar 24th 2011

Re-watching the first 28 episodes made me feel more charitable to the show going in, but I'd have enjoyed this one anyway. And while I wasn't worried about Ryan, I too would have paid to see her marry Angela.

Mar 24th 2011

Yes, I thought it was very very nice. A few nice callbacks, sweet & funny, not wacky and over the top like I feared. Plus it's cool that Holly is from the greatest state in the nation.

I thought both B stories were good as well, especially when Kevin won at Dallas.

Mar 24th 2011

(One compliant though. Michael pointed out the place where Toby said he was moving to Costa Rica which was the best moment of his life. But he wasn't there when it happened. He was partying in NYC with Dwight, Ryan, and the Hobbit. I guess you could say that someone told him that's where it happened, but I didn't get the impression that was the intent of the scene.)

Mar 24th 2011

Loved it. First show of the season I plan to rewatch.

I actually think I liked the garage sale stuff even more than the proposal.

Mar 24th 2011

Good episode. No silly cliffhanger and folks seemed more S2ish. Kevin had a functional cerebral cortex and Dwight was determined and stupid, which is how I like my Schrute. Even Ryan was tolerable. They must have been listening to fan complaints about Holly because she was nicely dialed back here. The proposal was both funny and sweet.

Mar 25th 2011

I really like Sepinwall, (and I really liked this episode) but he has a tendency to exaggerate at times:

"Garage Sale" was not only the highlight to date of the Steve Carell victory lap season, not only an episode that was instantly one of my favorite "Office" episodes ever, but an episode I may just move into the pantheon of all-time great romantic sitcom episodes.

Mar 25th 2011

Well in his defense, it wasn't at a gas station. And the weather wasn't bad. But the only pantheon it's in is the one of all-time Office Season 7 episodes. And pretty near the top too.

Mar 25th 2011

Probably one of the best episodes of the last two seasons, but that bar is so low they could trip over it.

Mar 25th 2011

Not an all-timer for me, but good nonetheless. Especially considering that we all know Steve is leaving and Amy Ryan's run was pretty much done, so it was the tv equivalent of a shoe dropping. Can't help but wonder how this episode (and season) would have been received if we hadn't already known it was Steve's swan song.

Mar 25th 2011

I wouldn't have believed it otherwise. I'd assume it was a lame plot device and that Holly's parents would be moving to Scranton three episodes from now.

Mar 25th 2011

I didn't watch this. I saw the last few minutes and hated it. In the olden times, Michael was not the hero of the show.

Mar 25th 2011

Aww... they got something right!

Mar 25th 2011

Pam's "Holy sh*t, is that real?" was awesome. And it was also my reaction.

Mar 26th 2011

Jim was Jim again in this episode, you guys.

You know what I love? I love that I can lurk here sometimes and it feels like the old days because you are all still here! Daoust, griefbone, AMJ, everybody <3 Makes me happy. WAY happier than this show makes me nowadays.

Mar 26th 2011

Yeah, it was nice to see an intelligent version of Jim again. Of all the characters, he has been the one most hurt by the writers idea of "laughs" at his expense.

Mar 26th 2011 edited

I love that I can lurk here sometimes and it feels like the old days because you are all still here!

Well, what the heck else would I be doing? Good to "see" you.

Yeah, it was nice to see an intelligent version of Jim again. Of all the characters, he has been the one most hurt by the writers idea of "laughs" at his expense.

Agreed and agreed.

Mar 27th 2011

I agree...Jim's bell kick really tugged at my heartstrings.

I thought the whole episode was great. The Jim-Dwight stuff felt classic, and the proposal was so sweet. I loved how the entire office openly showed their support of the relationship; not that any of them would have protested, but it really demonstrated the amount of affection they have for Michael despite his many obnoxious qualities. I did get a bit offended when he was insulting Jim's proposal, but I forgave him when the sprinklers went off.

Mar 28th 2011

Still haven't seen this one yet. Must watch tonight after work.

Mar 28th 2011

Holy !$#@! PamCasso lurks still!

Guys, this episode was really really good! For all the reasons you guys mentioned. Michael was great, Holly was great. The storyline with Dwight buying the beans actually worked because they had time to draw it out and they kept the right scenes in to make it believable.

So...Holly's gone, but Michael comes back? Or he stays for a while and then goes to Colorado?

Mar 28th 2011

Or he stays for a while and then goes to Colorado?

I believe this is the way it's going to play out.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 51
Top of PageBack to discussions