Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
7.20 Michael's Last Dundies
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
31 to 56 of 56
Apr 21st 2011

Definitely felt more like the cast paying tribute to Steve than the office paying tribute to Michael.

Yes, well said.

I especially liked Pam's back & forth with Ryan about the breadsticks.

Me too, I forgot about that. "Like crack" and especially "...on steroids" irritates me as well.

Apr 21st 2011 edited

But mostly it seemed like Mindy Kaling going, "OMG! It would be sooooo fun if everybody sang! Let's figure out a way to have everybody sing! Yay!"

You remember that scene from Scott's Tots where they made Jim look like a bumbling idiot? That was my least favorite scene in the show's history until THAT DAMN SONG!!!! How about getting him a lifetime supply of World's Best Boss mugs? Anything but a rip off of a Rent song. Dwight's rage was entertaining.

Apr 22nd 2011

It almost seemed as if Steve was crying in that last scene and not Michael. I thought it was kinda sweet. But I also thought how nice it would be if this was the last season.

Apr 22nd 2011

You remember that scene from Scott's Tots where they made Jim look like a bumbling idiot? That was my least favorite scene in the show's history until THAT DAMN SONG!!!!

Pretty much this. And this...

I really enjoyed the first 2/3rds, I thought there was a lot of funny stuff, like Michael thinking Larry King was dead (I hate Larry King so I really got a kick out of it) and Michael's impression of Phyllis. The last part going back to the office with the song, I get what they're trying to do but it doesn't work for me.

Apr 22nd 2011

What Bri cut and paste.

And this:

Definitely felt more like the cast paying tribute to Steve than the office paying tribute to Michael.

Not much else to say about this one. It was really dangerous territory going back to a hallowed classic episode and attempting a redux. It would have had to have been one freaking amazing episode to top or even approach the original. It clearly was not.

Apr 22nd 2011

How do they justify Toby going back to the office for the sing along, especially with that tag? The Lieberstein/Kaling leadership cabal just doesn't really care about things like that.

Apr 27th 2011

Wow, this thread was already languishing on page 2.

Anyway, I was just looking at "The (original) Dundies" thread, and AMJ said this over two years ago:

Mindy Kaling also says she hopes to do the Dundies again. At one point I would have agreed, but now I don't think they should because there's no way it would live up to the original. Maybe during the last season if they know it's the last season. Might even be a good setting for the show's finale.

I agree.

Apr 27th 2011

I'm so 'effin smart.

Apr 28th 2011

Damn. I really liked it, especially the song. Sucks to be in the minority I guess. I probably wouldn't of liked it if Michael didn't preface it with "OMG, somethings happening" because that line explained exactly why it happened. The office workers weren't "inspired" by MIchael to make a song, and they didn't work together... Andy clearly wrote the song and they all knew what to sing. What they realized is, the only thing needed to make Michaels entire career was something over the top, like him. It was obvious how amazed he was that something "special" was happening, they employees just know how to get him to feel "special".

Apr 28th 2011 edited

Andy clearly wrote the song and they all knew what to sing.......The office workers weren't "inspired" by Michael to make a song, and they didn't work together... Andy clearly wrote the song and they all knew what to sing.

How did they manage to do this without a few hours of practice? Do they all have ESP? Much like folks joining in to help him make "Threat Level Midnight", this was an idea the actors and showrunner loved without any consideration of how it fit in the universe of the show for me. Michael's reaction doesn't change that. This may have been the dumbest thing the show ever did.

Apr 28th 2011

how it fit in the universe of the show

Your point is moot because no one one the show cares about this.

Apr 28th 2011

the employees just know how to get him to feel "special".

Do you think this is something the employees care about? Do you think it's something they'd want to spend a lot of time doing?

Apr 28th 2011

Your point is moot because no one one the show cares about this.

We will see tonight if this is true because Greg Daniels wrote the episode and Paul Feig is directing. Daniels is my last hope.

Do you think it's something they'd want to spend a lot of time doing?

I keep imagining what would happen at any of my old jobs if one of my coworkers came up and said "The boss is leaving and as a going away present we are going to sing him a parody of a Broadway show tune."

My response is always "Here's five bucks. Buy him a mug."

Apr 28th 2011

I keep imagining what would happen at any of my old jobs if one of my coworkers came up and said "The boss is leaving and as a going away present we are going to sing him a parody of a Broadway show tune." My response is always "Here's five bucks. Buy him a mug."

Your boss, of course, being completely like Michael in every way? They spent six years trying to show that these people have some sort of relationship and vested interest in this guy. One final song-related send-off wouldn't be out of the question.

Apr 28th 2011 edited

They spent six years trying to show that these people have some sort of relationship and vested interest in this guy.

They spent six years showing that Michael compensated for his loneliness by imagining these people as his family while the workers took the completely sensible view that it wasn't.

Your boss, of course, being completely like Michael in every way?

No, my bosses have been a lot more tolerable than Michael.

One final song-related send-off wouldn't be out of the question.

Have you ever had a job? The idea that anyone go to this extreme for a boss leaving is absurd. I've had several bosses leave, one's I truly liked and respected and I would never do something like this. Maybe going out for dinner and some drinks, but sing a song? No, never.

Apr 28th 2011

My response is always "Here's five bucks. Buy him a mug."

Michael already has a mug.

Apr 28th 2011

Now he needs a "World's Best Boss Emeritus" mug. But it brings up an interesting point. They didn't even buy him the original mug.

Apr 28th 2011

For me, them buying him a "World's Best Boss" mug would have been an excellent send off for Michael. It was almost his first TH on the show and a quiet scene of them giving him the box and then a cut to his response would have been far more realistic and heartfelt than the song.

Apr 28th 2011

It makes me so sad to think about what Michael's send-off might have been if he'd left when the show still had even a modicum of subtlety about it.

Apr 28th 2011

I can't comment on the song, because I got distracted and started doing something elese when it was happening. I guess I don't mind them doing the send off song, becuase I don't really have any expectations.

Apr 28th 2011

When was the show last truly subtle? I'm going to say mid-Season 2.

Apr 28th 2011

Subtle, to me, means they show a glimpse of something and you have the feeling that you saw something that no one else did, and you're privy to some kind of secret. So, instead of showing you that someone likes someone else, and then having a talking head about it, and then having a meeting in the conference room where everyone acknowledges it..."subtle" means showing a glance between people and then you infer that something is going on there.

So yeah...in the middle of Season 2 they stopped doing that.

Apr 28th 2011

I'm giving them to early or mid Season 3.

Apr 29th 2011

For Anque and lemonade (who were discussing this in another thread) - I loved the song.

Apr 29th 2011

(fistbump for Urklegrue)

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
31 to 56 of 56
Top of PageBack to discussions