Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
7.21 Goodbye Michael
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
91 to 120 of 120
Apr 29th 2011

I loved that Michael's last line was "That's what she said." At least that's what he said before Pam arrived. Oddly, I didn't tear up till he handed off the mike.

Apr 29th 2011

Four, maybe five awesome seasons of The Office and no Parks n Rec, or,

As much as I like Parks & Rec, I'd much prefer this option. The real danger is that we won't even get 4 years of P&R given its relatively low ratings.

Apr 29th 2011 edited

Aww, I heart Mike Schur! From his twitter feed:

ff Steve Carell. He doesn't have a twitter feed, and never will. Just follow him, for the rest of his career, because he's awesome.

Apr 29th 2011

Herro, everybody! I hope you've all been well.

So...

I gotta say, this was an awesome episode, and to say what I've loved about it would just sound repetitive. Also, I'm going to guess that Phyllis is Erin's mom.

Apr 29th 2011

Aw...poo, lem's husband already called it. Dang you, sir. Dang you so much!

Apr 29th 2011

Hey, BMF glad to see you here. Good reason to come back. Damn you, Greg Daniels why did you have to come back and remind us what the good old days were like?

Apr 30th 2011

I just made the mistake of reading around some other internet sites to get the reaction to this episode. I do not recommend doing that. It's like standing at an art gallery looking at a Monet and hearing the guy beside you say, "That one's too blurry, and there isn't enough red."

Apr 30th 2011

1.Two, maybe three awesome seasons of The Office, and two (to four, we'll say) awesome seasons of Parks and Rec?

This. I would not want to live in a world without Parks & Rec (although I probably will, after next year).

Apr 30th 2011

Parks & Rec makes me feel the way The Office used to.

I did like this episode. I think someone posed the semi-rhetorical question about whether or not Jim meant it when he said that Michael was the best boss he'd ever had. I think that for most of the office, people were being complimentary because it's an easy way to say goodbye and it was true enough that they could want to mean it. But Jim -- remember Chip in Connecticut? Remember Jim's talking head about how Michael would never take a competitor's offer and screw over an entire office? Michael really is the best boss Jim's ever had. That one was true.

Apr 30th 2011

Two words: Charles Minor.

Apr 30th 2011

He's probably never worked anywhere else, so it's a limited comparison. Then again, calling someone the best isn't necessarily a literal comparison. I bet Pam bosses him around at home too. That'd be better.

May 1st 2011

Ah, I don’t know. I get your point, but I still wanted Jim to tell Michael he was the best boss ever. Maybe it was up to us, the viewers, to decide whether or not Jim was being completely honest, or if it was just what he knew Michael wanted to hear him say, but Jim still said it very convincingly.

Mr. A and I just watched and were talking about this. He was the best boss ever. Was he the most competent? No. Was he the best manager? No. But he kept learning and surprising everyone at the best times and he was there for them and cared about them and so they cared about him, too. Those moments of clarity for Michael...that time when he admits that marking that waitresses arm was kind of a jerky thing to do, for instance. Those were amazing. And the amazing was made even more amazing by the fact that those moments are surrounded by such awful crazy stuff. So they will remember the not-awesome stuff fondly, too. And there won't be anyone else like him. So yes, I totally think Jim meant that.

May 1st 2011

Also waterworks. Because of easy to manipulate my emotions like that.

May 1st 2011

Michael is an asshole, pure and simple. He sexually harassed Jim's wife, his co-worker Oscar, his co-worker Phyllis, and co-worker Ryan. Just for starters. He is, without a doubt, the worst boss you could possibly have, and any attempt to rescue from him that strikes me as mendacity on the part of the show.

May 1st 2011

Totally agree with you, Anque. Circle gets the square.

May 1st 2011 edited

Michael is an asshole, pure and simple.

No. David Brent was an asshole. Assholes are self-centered and self-aborbed to the detriment of others even though they are aware that it is to the detriment of others. They don't give a shit about other people; their feelings, their thoughts or their lives unless it affects them in some way.

That is the opposite of Michael. Michael is an idiot. Which does not an asshole make. Idiots tend to be self-centered and self-absorbed mostly because they don't have the capability to be self-aware. Michael did really care about the other people in the office. With four exceptions. It's just that his emotional and social maturity levels were in the 9 to 12-year-old range.

May 1st 2011

(also double fistbump lem)

May 1st 2011

Tomorrow, on the way in to work? I'm totally listening to XM Obvious Radio.

Also, if there was ever a marketing opportunity for this show, it's to publish "Somehow I Manage" by Michael Scott and Darryl Philbin. Make it a little volume like "Chicken Soup..." or "All I Need To Know..."? Make sure that all of Michael's management strategies are in there ("I want people to to be afraid of how much they love me").

The kicker is that it sits on the Business shelf right next to Jack Welch and Stephen Covey. I'd buy it, especially if it had all the TWSS's in there. Hell, maybe we should write it.

May 2nd 2011

Also, if there was ever a marketing opportunity for this show, it's to publish "Somehow I Manage" by Michael Scott and Darryl Philbin.

Yes! Good call, B-Rob! Maybe it's me, but every time I hear a reference to Somehow I Manage, I laugh out loud. I think that is a great joke name for a management book, an one I would bet has been used before.

May 2nd 2011

Being an idiot does not obviate the possibility of being an asshole. Michael's both.

May 2nd 2011

I don't think it does. I think if you are an asshole, in some ways you're definitely an idiot. I don't think Michael was an asshole, though. Todd Packer was an asshole.

May 2nd 2011

To be fair, Mike has assholish moments. More in S1 and S2, less so in later seasons as they tried to make him less assholish and more idiotic.

May 2nd 2011

Love love love how they filmed the part where Michael put the Dundie on his desk as if that were the montage from the intro.

Yes, I loved this ever so much!

Also, I'm all for the "everyone's opinion is valid" thing, but Dwight, you are wrong and Anque is right. Although I'm pretty sure this opinion of yours is coming purely from some Office downgrade in quality angst.

My favorite moment was the Dwight talking head as he reads the letter. Just very well done and it pulled all the right heartstrings for me.

May 4th 2011

Finally got to watch this tonight. Pretty awesome, I must say. Sad, but awesome. Pretty much everything I liked has already been mentioned. What were those pants on Andy, though? Those were a shade not seen since the days of zubaz.

May 12th 2011

Today at the gym, I spent a while reenacting Michael's "see you on the flipside" basketball moment. I got one in out of about 30 shots. It's harder than it looks.

May 12th 2011

Did you look around after every one to see if anyone noticed?

May 12th 2011

Well, not every time.

May 13th 2011

Back when I was coaching youth basketball, a group of 12 year olds from another team were warming up in a side gym and I walked in the door and they all stopped to look at me. I picked up a basketball, heaved it full court (it was a smallish court, but it was full court), and swished it. I knew that there was nothing I could do to top that, so I walked back out. The kids were all going "whoa..."!

Mar 26th 2016 edited

By this point, I had somewhat given up on the show, probably because it hadn't lived up to the unrealistically high expectations that it had set for me. Rewatching it five years later, I still haven't gotten to that singular point in the series where I think I say definitively that things turned south. There have been some clunker episodes, and the overall writing, comedy, continuity and such didn't hold constant. But there were still great episodes like this one.

And each weird outside casting choice that I thought would signal the beginning of the end hasn't: Idris Elba, Kathy Bates, even Will Ferrel. Dammit, I like the Will Ferrel episodes this time around. Threat Level Midnight didn't bother me at all. I kind of liked it, particularly where they briefly catch up with Karen. (Singing to Michael still sucks. Sorry, Anque.) I have a strong sense of foreboding at the mention of James Spader, and I don't expect to keep my personal lovefest going well into Season 8. But who knows?

I definitely recommend a series re-watch at some point. It's giving me the closure of fond memories of a show I once loved but came feel ambivalent about. And since I didn't watch these final seasons on repeat like I did the earlier seasons, it's all a bit of a surprise. I don't remember offhand how it ends or even whether there are eight or nine seasons. So I've got that going for me.

Mar 27th 2016

I'll be interested to see your opinion of the series from this point on. Season 8 was a complete disaster as I remember and S9 uneven.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. >
91 to 120 of 120
Top of PageBack to discussions