Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Spammers, begone!
1 to 24 of 24
Aug 27th 2011 edited

Apologies for the recent spam attack, folks. I've blown them out of existence and wiped out all the comments they left behind.

A couple notes:

• Signing up for a Watercooler account now requires an approval process. I'll try to manage the queue for now, but I may call upon your help, Mods, if I can't keep up.
  • Things got a little scorched earth near the end as I was swinging the banhammer left and right. I'm pretty sure I didn't ban anyone who didn't deserve it, but let me know at james [a t] northernattack [d o t] com if I did and I'll reinstate you.

Thanks for the heads up, 2' Closer to Copier, and all the Mods for dealing with everything in my absence.

Aug 27th 2011

They were a persistent bunch. Thanks for bringing down the hammer on them.

Aug 27th 2011

Hoorah!

Aug 28th 2011

Thanks, James! But I think you missed one:

tresaprunty just posted 26 minutes ago

Aug 28th 2011

Whoot! Thanks James. Hiding spammers was getting to be a nuisance. Will they be required to have an email address now to register? Because if any of them happen to slip past the approval process, they better bet on getting some personal spam, from me.

Aug 28th 2011

There were still new posts this morning. I've been deleting the posts, but it was getting too tedious to hide them all too.

Aug 28th 2011

Ok, I just took care of another handful of spam accounts (tresapunty included). Turns out this may be somewhat of a gradual process -- let me know if you see anyone else I missed.

Appreciate the thought, CZ-J :). Unfortunately, all of these spam accounts appear to be generated by an automated program with garbage emails (fqzogqxhlwat@qq.com and the like) -- chances are none of these inboxes actually exist.

What I'd really like to do is install a more robust verification process during signup. There are plug-ins that allow for that sort of thing, but most/all of them require a more recent version of the forum software the Watercooler is running on.

Anyhow, the approval queue should stem the problem in the meantime.

Aug 28th 2011

Thanks, James. Did anyone else wonder if the timing of the spam attack and the reappearance of saucy might be more than a coincidence?

Aug 28th 2011

Yes.

Aug 28th 2011

The spam did evidence a lack of mastery of Markdown, so...

Aug 28th 2011

I almost wish I could re-read it. Check for spelling and capitalization issues.

Aug 28th 2011

saucy's not smart enough to blanket spam like that.

Aug 28th 2011

But he might be a spam tipster or something. Is that a thing?

Aug 28th 2011

saucy's not smart enough to blanket spam like that.

This.

Aug 28th 2011

Also...

saucy's not smart

Aug 28th 2011

Yay, James! He's our hero!

What would we have to give up if we upgraded to newer versions of this software?

Aug 29th 2011

Hooray!!

James shut their whore mouths for good!!!

Sep 17th 2011

Anque: it's mostly a matter of me scrounging up free time which, unfortunately, has been at a premium for a while. It's been a busy few years...

Sep 17th 2011

I, for one, am hugely happy that you've got so much awesome to occupy your time. I don't begrudge it. And we like this version just fine, thankyouverymuch. Just wondered if it would be an instance where we might sacrifice something we like for the greater good of getting rid of those jerks without causing you extra work.

Sep 17th 2011

Yeah, whatever fix you added seems to have stopped the infestation. Thanks for everything, James.

Sep 17th 2011

For reals! We appreciate it! Although I find myself wondering, just where can I order a pair of Christian Loubotin shoes?

Sep 19th 2011

Crap. So that is why all those threads are white this morning.

Sep 19th 2011

What? Were there more spammers?

Sep 19th 2011

No there weren't any! They were all legitimately whitened threads. I forgot to come back in here and say that.

Forgive me for thinking it was the work of a spammer, when in reality it was the work of all you fine posters. It's just that, well, weekends aren't usually that busy. Great work, guys!

1 to 24 of 24
Top of PageBack to discussions