Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
8.03 Lotto
1 to 29 of 29
Oct 2nd 2011
  • Season 8 : Episode 3
  • First aired on October 6, 2011

Summary courtesy of NBC:

ALL THE WAREHOUSE WORKERS WIN THE LOTTERY—After the warehouse guys win the lotto and quit, everyone in the office dreams of what it would be like to win big. Andy (Ed Helms) and Darryl (Craig Robinson) search for new warehouse employees while Jim (John Krasinski), Erin (Ellie Kemper), Dwight (Rainn Wilson) and Kevin (Brian Baumgartner) get a taste of warehouse life. Jenna Fischer, B.J. Novak, Leslie David Baker, Phyllis Smith, Angela Kinsey, Oscar Nunez, Kate Flannery, Paul Lieberstein, Mindy Kaling and Creed Bratton also star.

Oct 2nd 2011

Seriously?

Oct 2nd 2011

Maybe it will be like the short story "The Lottery" and someone will die.

Oct 2nd 2011 edited

There was another story about a lottery that I can't remember the name of.

Oct 2nd 2011

I kind of like the concept, I've heard of it happening plenty of times, but I just saw a preview and...ugh, it did NOT look good.

Oct 3rd 2011

I also like the concept, and think it's a good idea in theory.

Poor Darryl. I wonder if he will regret his decision to move upstairs.

Oct 3rd 2011

What is Darryl's job upstairs, exactly?

Oct 3rd 2011

To say funny things now and then.

Seriously, it doesn't make any sense to have the warehouse manager sitting upstairs.

Oct 3rd 2011

I think he's the Assistant (to the) Sassy African American, under Michael's old flow chart of office responsibilities.

Oct 3rd 2011

Seriously, it doesn't make any sense to have the warehouse manager sitting upstairs.

It really doesn't. It was probably a way to give him more screen time, but the character was so much better downstairs. Were the writers too lazy to create situations that could involve Darryl more in his old surroundings?

Oct 3rd 2011

Maybe the cameramen got tired of climbing the stairs.

Oct 6th 2011

I thought this was a pretty good episode. Especially compared to last week, which was half of a good episode. The Jim/Dwigh/Erin/Kevin warehouse thing was silly, but it could have been much, much worse. I thought the Andy/Darryl thing was well done, and I'll take all the Pam/Ryan snark I can get.

And I still don't miss Michael Scott. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

Oct 7th 2011

I liked this one quite a bit more than the first two. Krasinski is a good director (at least from this). It had a lot of good character moments, natural, somewhat realistic office hijinks, and I actually enjoyed it. I've liked where the show has gone since Michael left, far more than I have the past few seasons. It's no longer the let down after Parks and Rec it was becoming. I laughed.

Oct 7th 2011

Two comments. Three now. I didn't watch the ep, so I can't say much abou tit. Or last weeks ep yet.

I feel like I'm letting you all down, and myself.

Oct 7th 2011

Even more than last week, I found Thursday night TV fine but mostly unremarkable.

Oct 7th 2011

This was an improvement from last week even with a few out of character hijinks (what the heck was going on down in the warehouse?). I enjoyed learning a bit more about Darryl and am intrigued by his ideas on the 4 hour work week.

Oct 7th 2011

(what the heck was going on down in the warehouse?)

They had to move 300 boxes of paper from the warehouse onto a truck. Its not exactly the manual labor equivalent of building a cold fusion reactor with toothpicks and Elmer's glue. Even without the manual lift, one person could probably do it box-by-box in under an hour.

Darryl really did get fat, huh?

Oct 7th 2011

Maybe not one person, but the four of them certainly could have finished it off in less time than what they ended up with. And I know the idea was to show that they didn't understand how the warehouse worked, but I'm pretty sure at least one of them knows about a dolly or pallet jack.

Darryl really did get fat, huh?

Seriously. I bet Craig Robinson loved that material. I guess all the digs at the actors can't be about Jenna Fischer's boobs.

Oct 7th 2011

Senor Lodenstein es muy rapido.

Oct 7th 2011

I feel like I'm letting you all down, and myself.

You feel that way because you are.

I didn't laugh a lot, the warehouse grease was stupid, and I got tired of looking at Andy, but there were some good chuckles here and there.

Toby's talking head made me laugh the most of anything in the episode. I did like Jim and Pam's different ideas of heaven - very real idea for a married couple. And Dwight and Jim together are always gold to me.

I'm hoping this is one of those eps that advances the storyline, getting us to a time where the show is not focused on Andy so much.

Oct 7th 2011

the warehouse grease was stupid

You are very polite. I thought it was fucking terrible. The Andy/Darryl conversation was really good and I'm actually enjoying Andy as a manager, but the four idiots in the warehouse was so inane it overshadowed everything else.

Oct 8th 2011

What saved the grease for me was the way the group bonded over it, and then had to explain it. The conclusion of the story elevated the prior material. The same thing happened for me with Catch-22.

Oct 8th 2011

I gotta go with AMJ on this one. 'Fucking terrible' seems about right.

Oct 8th 2011

The conclusion of the story elevated the prior material.

Yep. The explanation did redeem it a little bit. I liked Jim stammering to Andy and Andy acting like a manager and expecting an answer. Erin is so clueless, she really thought the name of the process might improve things and Jim really did not want to say the name.

I am enjoying Andy as manager. Dwight has been pretty solid this season, too.

Mar 28th 2016

You guys need to go back and rewatch the latter seasons and help me figure out why I'm enjoying them so much more than I did the first time around. This episode is an example. I love Andy as manager. The grease on the warehouse floor? Sure it was dumb, but KarenM from late 2011 was right: the payoff made up for what came before. And Kevin was right. This talk save time, words. Less effort, make sense.

Mar 28th 2016 edited

help me figure out why I'm enjoying them so much more than I did the first time around.

Maybe because you're no longer watching Community and Parks & Rec at the same time?

I've picked up on my season 6 rewatch. About halfway through. What jumps out at me is how amazing Steve Carell was/is. I guess I just took that for granted.

I was surprised that I had positive comments in this thread. Some other S7 & S8 episodes as well. I guess I liked some of them more than I remember.

Mar 29th 2016

I guess I just took that for granted.

This. I remember thinking at the time, he was really putting out comedy gold every week, and we were all so obsessed with JAM.

Mar 29th 2016 edited

Part of my enjoyment comes from feeling like I'm seeing these episodes for the first time. It's not far off because I remember so little about them. I'm surprised by how long Robert California was CEO or Andy was RM or that Psm got pregnant a second time. Then I remember other things well, like Erin getting drunk at the Christmas party or Darryl getting fat and crushing on Madge 2.0. I also remember getting tired of Michael Scott and being ready to see him go. Not having a strong feeling at all about his departure now, I'm just really liking the job Andy did in his place.

Mar 29th 2016

I'm just really liking the job Andy did in his place

Well, he's a Cornell grad, what did you expect?

1 to 29 of 29
Top of PageBack to discussions