Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
8.05 Spooked
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 35
Oct 22nd 2011
  • Season 8 : Episode 5
  • First aired on October 27, 2011

Summary courtesy of NBC:

FEARS ARE REVEALED ON THE SPOOKIEST HALLOWEEN IN DUNDER MIFFLIN HISTORY -- Erin (Ellie Kemper) struggles to make the Halloween party at the office exactly how Andy (Ed Helms) and Robert California (two-time Emmy Award winner James Spader) want it. Meanwhile, Jim (John Krasinski) and Pam (Jenna Fischer) argue about whether ghosts are real, and Dwight (Rainn Wilson) bonds with Robert’s 11-year-old son, Bert. B.J. Novak, Leslie David Baker, Phyllis Smith, Angela Kinsey, Brian Baumgartner, Oscar Nunez, Kate Flannery, Paul Lieberstein, Mindy Kaling, Craig Robinson, and Creed Bratton also star.

Oct 24th 2011

I am usually a pollyanna about this show - I still enjoy it, but the description of this episode makes me want to poke ice picks in my eyes.

On the other hand, it couldn't possibly be as bad as I expect it to be. Lose win.

Oct 27th 2011

What is happening here???

Oct 27th 2011

Hamnard!

Oct 27th 2011

I've no attention span for this show sometimes. But neither can I muster much energy to be disappointed by it.

Oct 27th 2011

I enjoyed the episode, just as I've enjoyed the season. I really don't know what to say, other than that. This show just doesn't inspire thoughtful discussion anymore.

Oct 27th 2011

I laughed at Spader's story and was baffled why they thought they needed to drag Hamnard back out into the light, but overall I was left wondering what the point was.

Oct 28th 2011

I laughed at Spader's story too, but I remain baffled: I mean, is the world of this show now that Robert is brilliant and everyone is else is so stupid they can barely string two thoughts together?

Oct 28th 2011

Eight comments? I guess things will really pick up once Catherine Tate "returns".

Reactions to Spader's story were pretty good, but really not much going on here.

I liked Pam's "I won't scare her, but I won't lie to her, either". I'm clinging to what I can.

Oct 28th 2011

I'd be more interested in the return of Larry Tate.

Pam looked cute. Great costume for hiding a baby bump, no?

Oct 28th 2011

Kevin and Gabe were funny also, but this one was pretty lame overall.

Oct 28th 2011

I was disappointed that no one recognized Andy as Bob the Builder. Yes, he can.

Oct 31st 2011

Well, pollyanna is back. I hatehatehate Hamnard, but Erin's story was one that people could sympathize with, and I am so very on board with Spader's character. He's a creepy weird brilliant savant - totally different from Michael but able to put things in a different perspective much as Michael did.

I loved the Jim/Pam thing - very married and it rang true.

Mostly I smiled often during this one but Creed made me laugh out loud.

I thought this was one of their better efforts this season. So sue me.

Oct 31st 2011

I loved the Jim/Pam thing - very married and it rang true.

I did not. Was it just me, or does it appear that John and Jenna are just mailing it in these days? It's like they don't even care.

Creeds costume was good. What was Ryan supposed to be?

I thought this was one of their better efforts this season.

Diff'rent strokes.

Oct 31st 2011

I hatehatehate Hamnard

Wrong thread.

Oct 31st 2011

Diff'rent strokes.

I'm not saying this is Season 2 or anything. And I'm not evangelical about it either.

shrugs I was entertained.

Oct 31st 2011

I did not. Was it just me, or does it appear that John and Jenna are just mailing it in these days? It's like they don't even care.

I kind of see that. I'm writing some of it off to Jenna being nine months pregnant and the writers giving Krasinski absolutely nothing to do on the show.

What was Ryan supposed to be?

Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad.

Oct 31st 2011

Jenna being nine months pregnant and the writers giving Krasinski absolutely nothing to do on the show.

Maybe this is the writer's attempt to be a show about nothing. Seinfeld made it work. There is just nothing going on with the characters that is of any interest. Jim and Pam have their side married conversations each episode but it doesn't really add much.

Oct 31st 2011

I was entertained.

Same here. I've since pretty much forgotten everything that happened, but it was an enjoyable half hour.

Oct 31st 2011

Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad.

Really? I did not get that.

Nov 1st 2011

I enjoyed the episode, just as I've enjoyed the season. I really don't know what to say, other than that. This show just doesn't inspire thoughtful discussion anymore.

This.

Nov 1st 2011

Just watched this. As always, I love the Halloween episodes. So much fun to see the costumes.

I liked when Ryan guessed that Dwight was Whoopi Goldberg.

For some reason, I really like Erin. Sure, she is overdone. But she is about the only character I am caring about. I loved her face at the end of the talking head where she said "the best thing about working with an ex is you still get to see them at work." I loved that she was Wendy. I love that she has such low self-esteem. Just a fun character.

Gabe is awesomely creepy but I don't know what he does. I hope they keep him around. And how did he get video of Stanley and Oscar's mom? Creepy.

I laughed when Pam flipped off Jim. And when Kevin was freaked out that mummies really exist.

Robert California's kid was pretty awesome. I liked how he went from Dwight's foil to friend. And he was the only one who knew what Dwight's costume was.

Is that enough thoughtful discussion for you guys?

Nov 1st 2011

For some reason, I really like Erin. Sure, she is overdone. But she is about the only character I am caring about. I loved her face at the end of the talking head where she said "the best thing about working with an ex is you still get to see them at work." I loved that she was Wendy. I love that she has such low self-esteem. Just a fun character.

I like Erin whenever she's not Andy's love interest or when they make her too stupid to find her way to work in the morning. They did a good job with her this episode right up to the point where they ruined it with the 'heartfelt' moment at the end.

Nov 1st 2011

Is that enough thoughtful discussion for you guys?

Eh.

Nov 1st 2011

I laughed when Pam flipped off Jim.

That was funny.

And when Kevin was freaked out that mummies really exist.

That was not so funny to me.

I really don't know what the deal is with Erin and Andy, and I'm not trying to be funny. I feel like I missed a chunk of the story. When did they become not a couple? How did I miss this? Did I block it out like the victim of a traumatic accident blocks out the moment of the collision?

I like Erin too, though, and I don't mind when they make her dopey. She's much better at it than Kevin, who should stick to being a perv. I did not get that she was Wendy, but only because I didn't really care enough to think about it.

I liked when Ryan guessed that Dwight was Whoopi Goldberg.

I guffawed.

Nov 1st 2011

I like Erin too, though, and I don't mind when they make her dopey.

She's so earnest, which makes the dopiness endearing.

I guffawed.

I haven't had a good guffaw in a while. But I have chortled.

Nov 1st 2011

When did they become not a couple?

I don't recall any details, but I can remember Andy and Erin dating and then Erin and Gabe dating. Andy was really sad, then Erin broke up with Gabe but Andy was pretty much over it by then. I don't remember how things went from one couple to another, just that they got there somehow.

Nov 1st 2011

I don't remember anything about Andy dating someone else, either. And did I miss Angela getting married, or was that just covered by a comment she made in the season opener?

I'm realizing I really don't pay attention to this show anymore. I watch it, I delete it, I forget it. Sad, really.

Nov 1st 2011

Angela is married to a gay state senator. She doesn't know he is gay, but the rest of the office does. It's really funny.

Nov 1st 2011

What happened to him being gay? It's like that was going to be a story but now it's not. Did Sylar kill him? Wait, Sylar's gay too now. It's starting to make sense.

When Erin broke up with Gabe but Andy was pretty much over it by then

Yeah, I definitely missed this part.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 35
Top of PageBack to discussions