Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
8.07 Pam's Replacement
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
31 to 58 of 58
Nov 10th 2011

Sad, but true. (Megadeth)

Or Metallica.

Nov 10th 2011

I still blame Lieberstein.

Me too. With Kaling a close second.

Sad, but true. (Megadeth)

I see what you did there.

Nov 10th 2011

Even though it is all negative, I'm just happy we got to the second page in this thread before the episode even airs. At least we are communicating, people! That's something.

Nov 10th 2011 edited

With Kaling a close second.

Mindy used to write good episodes. I've seen some of her stand-up clips and thought they were very funny, and I also enjoy reading her blog (even if I don't agree with many of her fashion choices).

So, what's making her come up with crap episodes now?

Nov 10th 2011

So, what's making her come up with crap episodes now?

I think she starts from the premise of "It would be hilarious if..." rather than "What would happen in a real office?"

Nov 10th 2011

So your boss doesn't get his butt tattooed in front of the whole office?

Nov 10th 2011

So your boss doesn't get his butt tattooed in front of the whole office?

That didn't really happen on the show, did it?

Nov 10th 2011

That didn't really happen on the show, did it?

Of course, and just like in real life, he let the staff pick the design.

Nov 10th 2011

I don't believe you. Continue.

Nov 10th 2011 edited

Andy started a sales contest, and jokingly offered to tattoo his butt with whatever they wanted if they reached a certain goal...which the motivated office did in one day. They picked a baby crawling out of his anus, but at the last second switched the design to a Nard Dog, which he was happy to discover when he looked at it in a mirror.

Now that I write it all down, it sounds really stupid. But when I watched it, it seemed merely idiotic.

But, he got the tat in front of everyone, sans pants. I've always wanted to say "sans pants".

Nov 10th 2011

Now that I write it all down, it sounds really stupid. But when I watched it, it seemed merely idiotic.

The sad thing is that him getting the tattoo in front of the entire office was more believable than them doubling their sales in a single day.

Nov 10th 2011

From the comments section of Sepinwall's blog:

I think everything that's gone wrong with The Office can be extrapolated from comparing the opening credits of Season 2 to the opening credits of Season 7

Nov 10th 2011 edited

I thought there was so much right about what Sepinwall said. What did you disagree with, DC.

I wanted to quote so many things from that article that I agreed with. I'll just put this for now:

Andy's not funny, and everybody either likes him too much or feels too sorry for him for their interactions with him to be funny. In some ways, he feels like what everyone feared the American version of "The Office" was going to be: a main character who's sort of inappropriate, but not really; who seems to annoy people, but you know they really like him, gosh darn it; who seems inept but ultimately manages to rally the troops; etc. If Michael Scott was a slightly kinder David Brent, Andy Bernard is Brent completely defanged.

Seriously. Did this happen? -->

The sad thing is that him getting the tattoo in front of the entire office was more believable than them doubling their sales in a single day.

Nov 10th 2011

Andy's not funny, and everybody either likes him too much or feels too sorry for him for their interactions with him to be funny. In some ways, he feels like what everyone feared the American version of "The Office" was going to be: a main character who's sort of inappropriate, but not really; who seems to annoy people, but you know they really like him, gosh darn it; who seems inept but ultimately manages to rally the troops; etc. If Michael Scott was a slightly kinder David Brent, Andy Bernard is Brent completely defanged.

I couldn't agree more with this. The only character on the show who even comes close to the inappropriate uncomfortable humor that I loved is Gabe.

Maybe Michael Scott was right to hate "Toby". Maybe we should hate all the things he chooses to make the office. Thing is, I loved Money, so I have trouble really,really hating everything Leiberstein. Plus I "love" the pathetic character that is Toby.

WTH, I'll blame Mindy, as I never liked any of her episodes, even "The Injury."

Nov 10th 2011

The only character on the show who even comes close to the inappropriate uncomfortable humor that I loved is Gabe

Oh yeah? Ever hear of a spunky little lady named Phyllis?

Nov 10th 2011

But, he got the tat in front of everyone, sans pants.

He dropped his pants to his ankles and the "tatoo artist" said he could keep them on. Andy left them down since they were already down even though it made everyone uncomfortable. It was HILARIOUS!

Nov 10th 2011

It was HILARIOUS!

Fail.

Nov 10th 2011

It was HILARIOUS!

You keep using that word. I do not think you know what it means. They sure don't.

Nov 10th 2011

Fail.

No, no. You should have seen it. I was laughing so hard. Through my tears of laughter, I kept saying, "another classic Office episode".

Oh, wrong thread.

Nov 10th 2011

I thought there was so much right about what Sepinwall said. What did you disagree with, DC.

Actually, nothing. He nailed it. I guess I was hoping he would go back further to point out that it wasn't just the loss of Michael Scott that was the problem.

Nov 10th 2011

On top of all that, I really particularly dislike the blues.

Nov 10th 2011

All along, even when the show was great, I said the one thing it was missing was a Mystical Negro.

I did enjoy most of the Pam/Dwight/Jim stuff.

Nov 10th 2011

I did enjoy most of the Pam/Dwight/Jim stuff.

This.

Nov 10th 2011

All I could think with the cold open was Michael saying, "hi buddy". Same joke, with a twist. I like Erin, just wish it wasn't so similar to old jokes.

The temp girl stuff was good. I liked how honest Dwight was with Pam. She is at an all time low.

Nov 11th 2011

The Jim/Pam/Dwight stuff was cute. I thought it was a little lame that they did another YouTube gag. But overall, not a bad episode.

Nov 11th 2011

I thought the Jim/Dwight/Pam stuff was wonderful. Jim was sly, Pam had understandable feelings, and Dwight's "honesty" was pure Dwightness. These three really work well together - I can't remember when they've given this dynamic so much screen time, and I loved it.

I didn't have much use for the band story, but there were a few good one-liners and I really like the new no nonsense warehouse lady.

I do love creepy Gabe as well.

I miss the obnoxious, clueless Ivy league Andy who punches holes in walls. How did he change in to the guy they're writing now?

I really particularly dislike the blues

How can a person dislike the blues?

Nov 11th 2011

Yeah, I never knew that was a thing.

Nov 13th 2011

Wow, when was the last time there was some good Jim, Pam, Dwight stuff. Feels like its been years.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
31 to 58 of 58
Top of PageBack to discussions