Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
8.09 Mrs. California
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 51
Nov 26th 2011
  • Season 8 : Episode 9
  • First aired on December 1, 2011

Summary courtesy of NBC:

MEET MRS. CALIFORNIA— MAURA TIERNEY AND LINDSAY BROAD GUEST STAR— Robert California (two-time Emmy Award winner James Spader) brings his wife (guest star Maura Tierney) into the office to find her a job. Meanwhile, Dwight (Rainn Wilson) opens a gym in the building. Ed Helms, John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, B.J. Novak, Leslie David Baker, Phyllis Smith, Angela Kinsey, Brian Baumgartner, Oscar Nunez, Kate Flannery, Paul Lieberstein, Mindy Kaling, Creed Bratton, Craig Robinson, Ellie Kemper and Zach Woods also star.

Nov 28th 2011

Robert California (two-time Emmy Award winner James Spader) brings his wife (guest star Maura Tierney) into the office to find her a job.

Subtitle: Is this the episode that gets you to stop watching our once great show?

I don't know how much more I can take.

Nov 28th 2011

Maura Tierney

That might be kind of interesting.

Nov 28th 2011

She's probably not as good looking as she sorta once was. Because of old.

Nov 28th 2011

That might be kind of interesting.

AMJ makes a compelling point. Boobs.

She's probably not as good looking as she sorta once was. Because of old.

OK, you ruined it.

She was funny on News Radio. Then again, if people who used to be funny on The Office aren't funny on The Office anymore, why would she be?

Nov 28th 2011

I don't see her as a comedienne. I see her as a nurse, who was in love with Kovac, but who was also an alcoholic. Then I forget what happened to her because I stopped watching.

Nov 28th 2011

Thanks, girl.

Nov 28th 2011

Maura was cute on News Radio. But Dave wore the dress better.

Nov 28th 2011

who was in love with Kovac

Holy mother of crap-he was hot.

Nov 29th 2011 edited

Thanks, girl.

Appropriate response. But in my defense, how I became an ER addict follows a similar path to how I fell in love with the office. The first season of ER was amazing, and had a fantastic season finale (Juliana Marguiles' characters' wedding that wasn't? Anyone remember that?) and that kind of hooked me.

I think I watched ER for about 5 or 6 years after that, but stopped in university, because I got tired of the same old same old storylines. Maybe if I'd had an ER fan forum to go to I'd have stayed with the show longer. Also, maybe if Sherry Stringfield hadn't left.

Nov 29th 2011

Didn't Mrs. California run a little hotel in the northern Sacramento Valley?

Nov 29th 2011

Holy mother of crap-he was hot.

Yes, this. A thousand times this.

I think I watched ER for about 5 or 6 years after that, but stopped in university, because I got tired of the same old same old storylines.

Same here. I did watch the final four or five episodes, though, and I thought they did a fantastic job of wrapping things up.

Nov 29th 2011

I stopped watching regularly after Anthony Edwards left, though I did check back and saw when the bald guy had his run-ins with the helicopters. Fun stuff. I don't really know Maura Tierney from ER. Or Lindsey Weir. But apparently they were there.

Dec 1st 2011 edited

8.5 hours!

Dec 1st 2011

Nice.

Dec 1st 2011

I think I've seen every episode of ER. I used to identify with Carter a lot, mostly because he kept having shitty relationships.

Dec 1st 2011

It was funny when Phyllis said her gym was the bedroom.

Dec 1st 2011

"It's a date"???? Are you kidding me????

Dec 1st 2011

I don't think they were shooting for the same emotional response. I laughed a couple of times especially Jim rolling out of the scene to avoid the confrontation.

Dec 2nd 2011

Maura Tierney has an egg-shaped head.

Dec 2nd 2011

I don't think they were shooting for the same emotional response.

I know they weren't. That makes it even worse in my book. Those are perhaps the three most important words ever spoken in the series and to use them again for a cheap laugh (?) just really pissed me off. Can you get any lazier, writers?

Dec 2nd 2011 edited

Those are perhaps the three most important words ever spoken in the series and to use them again for a cheap laugh (?)

I take exception. Most important words in the series

1. Most important silence: ........ (this goes on for 27 seconds)

2. Second most important silence:..... (follows Pam's: You can tell me anything)

3. Two most important words: "Listen...Jim"

4. Five most important words: "I'm in love with you".

5. Three most important words: "It's a date" (Mrs. California to Andy, setting up greatest the love triangle of our time.)

Revision. Three most important words: "That...is pungent."

Dec 2nd 2011

"It's a date"???? Are you kidding me????

I know. It totally cheapens this scene.

Dec 2nd 2011

Jim rolling out of the scene to avoid the confrontation

This was pretty good. He knew what was coming. Then it got ridiculous when Creed was on the roof with a helicoptor. They had to get zany. There were some good awkward moments in this one, but most were so sit-com like that it didn't have a great impact.

So, now the genius Robert California is so incompetent that he can't even communicate to his wife that it is a bad idea for her to work there? And he is a loser who dumps his wife for an employee? Sheesh. I enjoyed Andy's confusion, but on a sit-com level, not an Office level.

Dwight's gym was pretty sweet. I want to go throw some rocks around and cut some tin.

Dec 2nd 2011

Nice pelvic bowl.

Dec 2nd 2011

I actually thought this episode wasn't terrible. That's saying something. The stuff with Andy and Robert and Mrs. California was terrible, because of this:

So, now the genius Robert California is so incompetent that he can't even communicate to his wife that it is a bad idea for her to work there? And he is a loser who dumps his wife for an employee? Sheesh. I enjoyed Andy's confusion, but on a sit-com level, not an Office level.

and the stuff with Dwight was just not terrible, so I guess it kind of evened out for me.

Please stop making me care about Darryl. I don't want to care about his reasons for wanting to lose weight. Stop trying to deepen his character.

Dec 2nd 2011

She was good not great, but I wish Maura Tierney would replace Spader. It would be more plausible than Spader replacing Kathy Bates. And I like the idea of her hitting on Andy. They seem closer in age than him and Erin, even if they're not. That said, it's something that would totally happen to Michael. And Andy was channeling Michael in his mannerisms and responses last night, I thought. Also, I didn't even realize Pam wasn't around until Jim mentioned her maternity leave. Is Pam's replacement the new Marjorie -- barely seen, never heard from?

Dec 2nd 2011

Is Pam's replacement the new Marjorie -- barely seen, never heard from?

I know one way to find out. Go grab Jim's crotch. That should be conclusive.

Dec 2nd 2011

I liked the random Creed moment on the roof and didn't think it was any zanier than his other contributions in recent years.

So, now the genius Robert California is so incompetent that he can't even communicate to his wife that it is a bad idea for her to work there? And he is a loser who dumps his wife for an employee?

I don't get this criticism. Both of these things hint at the idea that maybe Mrs. California is a bit of a badass herself. I sort of got the impression that she went after Robert rather than the other way around.

Dec 2nd 2011

I sort of got the impression that she went after Robert rather than the other way around.

Me, too.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
1 to 30 of 51
Top of PageBack to discussions