Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
8.09 Mrs. California
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
31 to 51 of 51
Dec 2nd 2011

Also, I didn't even realize Pam wasn't around until Jim mentioned her maternity leave.

When did she have the baby? Sometime around the Gettysburg episode? I know she was having a boy, so what did she name him?

Dec 2nd 2011

I sort of got the impression that she went after Robert rather than the other way around.

Even so, he would have decided to cooperate. Going after your boss doesn't work unless they want it to. That wasn't a huge issue, office romances happen. I just think they set him up as a master manipulator last season and he is far from that this year. This was another example of him not being as in control as I had expected. I agree that she was no pushover and she understood the politics of it. It is a pretty big shift from where things were heading based on his interview.

Dec 2nd 2011

I sort of got the impression that she went after Robert rather than the other way around.

How could it be anything other than mutual? Except to the extent that he has the advantage of being her boss at the time. I thought it was funny the way he was making Andy crazy by being so unclear. Still, he would have to be dumber than Kevin not to realize he was confusing Andy with his mixed signals. A genius CEO would have pulled Andy aside and said, "No matter what I say in this meeting, ignore it. What I really want you to do is not hire her, even though I'm going to say a lot of stuff to the contrary."

Dec 2nd 2011

I don't think he cares if he drives Andy crazy. He just expects Andy to follow his instructions.

Dec 2nd 2011

The cold open was good. I liked when Jim whispered, "You know I have to do this right?" and Dwight confirmed it. They both know each other so well. I guess you run a risk of going overboard if you focus too much on that relationship, but I think they could do more with it.

In the episode where Dwight quits and hugs Jim on his way out, that little moment said a lot. They are really close, but we don't get to see enough of it. I would rather see more of that than Darryl in the gym or Andy dating the wife of the CEO.

Dec 2nd 2011

He just expects Andy to follow his instructions.

Why doesn't he realize how unclear they are?

Dec 2nd 2011

When did she have the baby? Sometime around the Gettysburg episode? I know she was having a boy, so what did she name him?

Dunno when, but the name was going to be Philip, and Angela picked the same name.

Dec 2nd 2011 edited

I believe this was the best episode of the season.

The cold open was funny and as per what NP3 said.

I thought the uncomfortableness of the whole situation was the kind of humor TO was founded on. Who hasn't had the ambiguous "I need to guess what the boss is thinking" moment? Also, I've seen several men who were totally in control at work who became blathering, wimpy idiots around their wives. And Mrs. California's propositioning Andy sealed the already squirmy situation. I liked it. Loved the classic Halpert "run away from conflict," too.

Why doesn't he realize how unclear they are?

Robert made his instructions perfectly clear: "Under no circumstances." The funny came about when he was making it so difficult for Andy to follow his very clear instructions.

Dwight's gym plot was amusing (as he often does, he has a point about farm work), and Gabe knowing the pelvic thing made me laugh out loud.

I will watch this one again soon, because there were several good one liners I'm not thinking of. Not Season 2, but I enjoyed it a lot.

PS - I do agree that "it's a date" was a cheap trick, but I laughed - if only from uncomfortable shock that they would go there.

Dec 2nd 2011

I believe this was the best episode of the season.

It might just have been. Of course, I can't remember any other episode, but I enjoyed it.

Robert made his instructions perfectly clear: "Under no circumstances." The funny came about when he was making it so difficult for Andy to follow his very clear instructions.

It was funny, but he wasn't clear. He was contradictory. Stating he wanted to be perfectly clear didn't make it so.

I am intrigued by how Mrs. C's pursuit of the erstwhile Nard-dog will play out. I'm sure it will be more slapstick then I'm hoping. It could be very good, though.

Dec 2nd 2011

I am intrigued by how Mrs. C's pursuit of the erstwhile Nard-dog will play out.

Just a hunch. Andy will walk into his office, to find Mrs. C in a sexy outfit. She will chase him around the desk. It's gonna be epic.

Dec 2nd 2011

That might happen, STT, but that will happen toward the end of the episode. Here's what will happen first.

From the start of the episode, the A story will be that Erin rediscovers she is in love with Andy again. This can and might be established in the closing of the previous episode. The whole episode long, Erin tries unsuccessfully to get a moment alone with Andy. She tries hard to show some signals that she's into him, but Andy is totally oblivious because he's got Mrs. C making passes at him left and right and he's totally trying to dodge it. Toward the end, Erin stays behind at work to talk to Andy, but she gets sidetracked for a moment doing something unimportant but out of the office. Meanwhile, Mrs. C has been hiding in the office all day waiting for the end of the day to seduce Andy. Once everyone is gone, she pounces, in the outfit, like you mention. And right in the midst of the chaos...Erin walks in and sees what's happening, starts to cry, and runs off.

"Erin! No, it's not what you think!" cries Andy as he runs after her.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd scene.

Dec 2nd 2011

And then Robert will come in, and she will hide under the desk while Andy's sitting in his chair. It will be comedy gold.

Dec 2nd 2011 edited

But if that doesn't happen (please Lord,no more Hamnard!!!), and the Missus California is very subtle about pursuing Andy, and mentions that it would be a shame if he lost his job and that she has a lot of influence with her husband's business decisions, it could be delightfully uncomfortable. I can imagine a very logical Dwight weighing the possible consequences of this whole situation.

I personally would think it was even most interesting if she pursued Jim in this vein - Jim of course, wanting badly to keep his job but decidedly not interested in horizontal tango with the boss' wife. But that's probably closer to actual drama than the show will ever go again.

Dec 2nd 2011

And then Robert will come in, and she will hide under the desk while Andy's sitting in his chair.

It practically writes itself.

Dec 2nd 2011

Even better if that scenario plays out, but Jim decides he's got his local flava at work and his home flava. Win-win.

Dec 2nd 2011

I did like this episode. The awkwardness with Andy trying to read the different signals and Jim trying to escape, I loved him yelling at the security guy that he just needed to get out really quick, were pretty good. It just showed a side of RC I didn't know existed. I guess if anyone can bring that out, it is a spouse. If I had nothing to compare it to, it would be a solid show. I can't help comparing a little, though.

"Nice pelvic bowl". I wonder if that has ever been said in a gym before.

Dec 2nd 2011

Why do you people hate me?

Dec 3rd 2011

OK, I watched it. It was funny. I watched it again.

Dec 5th 2011

I watched it again.

That is a glowing endorsement of a s8 episode.

Dec 5th 2011

Is it S8 already?

Dec 5th 2011

I watched it again with my wife. She is not as invested in the show as I am so she can laugh without comparing to past seasons. She laughed quite a bit at this one and that made me laugh more. So, I think I will only watch new episodes with her because it makes it feel like just another funny tv show instead of a shell of its former self.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. >
31 to 51 of 51
Top of PageBack to discussions