Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
Was Your Dad a GI?: The Genealogy Thread
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 69
Mar 19th 2012

So, I've been discovering a lot of cool stuff recently. I found an article about my g-g-grandfather, who went for his first car ride in 1909 with a friend (he was 85 years old), and they ended up crashing into a trolley car.

I found another article where an ancestor got into a fight in 1888 and was knocked out so bad that the family called a coroner. Fun stuff!

Mar 19th 2012 edited

Nice! I found a branch of my family that is pretty well documented since every Hutto decended from this one German dude, Isaac Hutto, who came over in the 1600s and entered into indentured servitude to pay for his family's trip across the ocean. Anyway, in looking through my ancestors in that line, I found that we had two who fought and died during the Civil War. They were Mississippians. A father/son duo. But get this: The father was 80 and serving in the Civil War! Wasn't that ancient back then? And the son was 40. The son died of a fever in Alabama, and then two years later the father died, while on leave at the hands of the Newt Knight Gang. Ever heard of them?

It was a very interesting Robin Hood-like group of Confederate deserters who were made larger than their real life selves in retrospect because of Mississippi's desperation to overcome the horrible backlash from the Civil War.

Mar 19th 2012

That is so cool, Anque. Sounds like you got a lot of nice stories, not just boring names and dates. An 80 year old soldier sounds interesting.

For some reason, I don't have any direct ancestors who fought in the Civil War. A lot of my generations were either too young or too old. One g-g-grandfather was drafted, but he was 35 and had 6 kids at home. He went to the draft board and put fly plaster on his leg (according to an old family story) and got out of it. I'm not sure what fly plaster is, or why that makes it look like you're unfit for duty, but it worked.

I do have Revolutionary War ancestors, though...at least two.

Mar 19th 2012

g-g-grandfather

I never knew you had a stuttering problem, Jinx.

Seriously though, nice thread. I'd love to find out more about my ancestors. I can only go back to some of my g-g-grandparents.

Mar 19th 2012

I've done a lot of work...when I started, there were a lot of lines that ended in g-g-grandparents. Now I think I've got to go back to the early 1800's before I can find anyone whose parents are unknown.

If anyone's interested in starting, start by talking to your oldest relatives and find out stuff from them, including old photos and stories. Get them to write names on the back of old photos.

Mar 19th 2012

I would like to go around and start collecting photos. I was surprised to find a photograph of my g-grandmother on my paternal side who looks startlingly similar to me. She died at the age of 102 only a few years ago. I got to meet her several times, but I never recognized our similarity because she was already very old and infirm. Another family tree had a really great photo of her around my age and we look very similar in our faces. It's kind of comforting, actually.

Mar 19th 2012

Cool new thread, Jinx! I love these stories and will look forward to everyone sharing!

Mar 19th 2012

Just saw in the other thread that it was really Anque's idea. Great call!

Mar 19th 2012

Women sometimes have great ideas, but it takes a man to properly execute it.

Mar 19th 2012

Danka! I always enjoyed listening to you and Jinx talk about your family research, but hadn't done any on my own. I tried lookign up some of y'all's old posts and couldn't find them. Hence, the desire for a thread.

Mar 19th 2012

If any of you have NY ancestors, I recommend www.fultonhistory.com. They have searchable archives of a lot of old NY newspapers. Really remarkable. That's where I found those stories up above. Read the Help files on the site and learn to use the search function.

Mar 19th 2012

Nice. We need more of that kind of response.

Mar 19th 2012

I do have Revolutionary War ancestors, though...at least two.

I've got about 13 or 15. I've got valid DAR paperwork for one, and Grandma's working on her second. I'm supposed to be helping her, but it's like pulling teeth sometimes. I guess as time goes on, people will have more chances to have Revolutionary War ancestors, you know?

I really want to join to register all of mine, but it seems like you have to have primary sources for every person on the line. I just want to have a badge with whole bunch of surnames hanging under it.

I would like to go around and start collecting photos.

I'm working on that project now. I have a photo of one 4th-great-grandfather, but several of 3rd-greats. I want to print them all and frame them and make a family tree on a wall.

I was surprised to find a photograph of my g-grandmother on my paternal side who looks startlingly similar to me.

I have a 2nd-great-grandmother that I saw as a young woman, who is lovely, in my opinion. We have similar figures and facial structures, though she was a shorter, blonder Swedish lady. But then I realized she was grandma of my grandma who was called Gumpy. She looked Gumpy as an older lady. I just hope I age along a different line...

Mar 20th 2012

My oldest family photo I have is my great grandmother as a baby in 1865. Well, it's a photo taken around 1900 of the original tintype. I also have a bunch of tintypes from the 1880s, a nice family portrait from 1875, and a cabinet card from 1870. From someone online, I got a copy of a really nice portrait of a couple (my g-g-g-g-grandparents) that has to be from the 1850s. That's pretty old, as far as photos go.

This person online who sent me that (we share a common ancestor from around 1850), said she knew an uncle that moved to Michigan who had stacks of old tintypes of the family, but he wouldn't give them to her. Then he died, and no one knows what happened to them.

Mar 20th 2012

she knew an uncle that moved to Michigan who had stacks of old tintypes of the family,

What an A-hole! I've got a distant cousin who has a photo of my 4th-great-grandmother, the wife of the 4th-great-grandfather whose picture I have, in Las Vegas. Her mother is ill and her brother is caring for her. She's had a falling out or something with him and can't get to the picture, because she lives in Florida now.

So, maybe I'll see the grandmother's picture on Earth, and maybe I'll see the grandmother in the hereafter.

But, then if that's my plan, maybe I shouldn't call people A-holes....

Mar 20th 2012

I've got a copy of an old daguerrotype of my Jewish family in Vilnius that dates to about 1865. I couldn't tell you which of the people in it are actually my ancestors, and which are just other relatives and such. There are a lot of beards.

Mar 20th 2012

That's the hard part of group pictures. On one hand, you can sort of guess who's who if you know the birth order, but if you don't know that, you've got a clump of people. A...peopse. Right?

Mar 20th 2012

Sure.

If we looked anything alike, that would be one thing. But at the remove of 170 years, there's essentially no family resemblance anymore. I can usually pick my grandparents, or even great-grandparents, out of a picture, because they look like me or my parents. These guys . . . nope.

Mar 20th 2012

Post the picture here. There are sometimes a lot of clues that can be picked up with the clothing, hair styles, ages and postures of the people in the photo.

Mar 20th 2012

Yeah, I wanna see it, too. Do you have one of your grandparents, who is the descendant of them?

Mar 20th 2012

I'll have to dig around and find it. I think the daguerrotype is probably in a box in Oregon, but I can probably get my mom to scan it and send it to me.

As for my grandmother . . . I'm sure there are lots. I'll see what I can do.

Mar 20th 2012

you've got a clump of people. A...peopse. Right?

I think the nickname is Chumbo. That's a mixture of like six letters.

Mar 21st 2012

I guess most of you guys already know your lines back to 1940, but I'm really looking forward to the census being made public. My grandpa was adopted in 1941, and born in 1938. I know his birth name and town and a vague story... I don't want to contact them so much as fill in my fan chart.

I want to see if I can find him in the census. I know that once a long, long time ago he said something about finding his birth family to his mother and they had a fight about it, and he never brought it up again, so far as I know.

Anyway, the 1940 census will be online soon. I might work on indexing some of it over on familysearch, too.

Mar 21st 2012

I don't really have too much to get excited about in the 1940 census, unless there are some new data fields that will shed some light on something. All my ancestors that will be in this census are all well known to me. But, I still have a dozen or so families that I'll look up, just so my records are complete.

I might work on indexing some of it over on familysearch, too.

I post with a bunch of nerds.

Mar 21st 2012

All my ancestors that will be in this census are all well known to me.

Old.

I've got a few Swedish cousins whose families I haven't found in the "now." I think if I can find them or their families or children, in 1940, I might be able to find a more current obituary or something with names of their descendants alive now.

Mar 21st 2012

That actually might be useful...finding other branches of the family and where they live now. Or at least getting closer.

Mar 21st 2012

I think if I can find them or their families or children

Since you're southern, sometimes if you find their children, you can also find their wives. Two birds with one stone. Because of southern.

Mar 21st 2012

I am amazed at how far back most of my ancestry has already been researched by other families. Now I've found that my maiden name (Key) is English back to the 1500s, but we also have strong German (Hutto) and Irish (Ferrell) ancestry back to the 1600s. And more English (Drewe) in that branch as well, but holy cow! I had no idea that so much of this would be researched back so far already. Each of those families have paperwork showing which boats they took to arrive here. I apparently have a long history of military men, including folks who fought on the loyalist side of the American Revolution as well as the Virginia, North Carolinian, and South Carolinian militia. And apparently in the 1600s, we have a 3rd. Lt. Colonel in the British military as well.

I have spent 3 hours each day for the last five days on this. This is a crazy time-suck. I could probably play four songs by now if I had spent all that time practicing on my guitar.

Mar 21st 2012

Because of southern.

Wha? Isn't your mommer your aunt, too?

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
1 to 30 of 69
Top of PageBack to discussions