Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
9.22 A.A.R.M.
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
61 to 82 of 82
May 14th 2013

He's going to hate the Karen scene.

The one where Jim finds the moldy yogurt lid? And flashes back to Karen's "Well, if you get the job then I'd move here with you" line? Good scene.

May 14th 2013

Karen the character in the Office wasn't really that bad. It's what they used her for that made us hate her.

The actor who plays Karen is really not that great as an actor, but she certainly has gotten better since her early days at TO.

Also, I don't mind Karen from the front. She's not terrible looking.

May 14th 2013

I always despised Karen, not because of her front or her back, but because she was trying to make Jim something he wasn't. Now I'm despising Pam a little bit for trying to keep Jim from what he could be.

Amazing what difference a few years make.

May 14th 2013

Rashida Jones can be funny, and she can be annoying. I'm not sure what makes her one or the other for me.

I'm not sure Jim can be anything. Seven years ago, maybe. But he's still there, doing pretty much the same thing. That's his wife's fault? looks at own life...weeps a little

May 14th 2013

Given the current setup wtih Jim and Pam, I think the best possible send-off for the two of them is some version of Tim's last talking head in the UK Christmas special. I would be left satisfied and smiling with that ending.

May 14th 2013

If Pam knowingly crushes his dreams because she needs that to prove he loves her, then I will be very unsatisfied and frowning.

May 14th 2013

Well, it seems clear that your scenario is where we're headed. I'm putting a positive spin on it. Because I'm sunny and optimistic. Not like you, DumbledoreMussolini.

May 14th 2013

The tragedy is that it took this long in the show's run and in the life of this forum to come up with DumbledoreMussolini.

Also, if Jim's dream is really just to be with Pam, that'd be a good story to tell. But they never tried telling it before so why start now? Besides, one of the show's earliest fatal errors was in making the office a place anyone other than Michael Scott truly wanted to be. Early Pam enabled Early Jim to survive being there. The correct progression was for them to escape together, not settle in.

May 14th 2013

The correct progression was for them to escape together, not settle in.

As Gene Rayburn would say on Match Game, that's the definitive answer.

May 14th 2013

It's also a shame it's taken this long in the show's run and in the life of this forum to start busting out Gene Rayburn references.

May 14th 2013 edited

Somewhere around Season 6 they just sort of dropped the idea that it was a terrible place to work. Unfortunately, that can't erase the five seasons that reinforced that idea. I still have some hope that they might have Pam change her mind in the finale, but it looks grim right now. DumbledoreMussolini out.

Post-finale re-watch, the idea that Pam didn't say at the end "Okay, I get it, but you have to take that trip just to be sure." still pisses me off. The choice was never stay at Dunder Mifflin or lose Pam forever. It was: Should we move to a different city for a better job or stay tethered to a still dying industry in Scranton? They did have her turn around about a year later, but still ridiculous.

May 14th 2013

Do you have to get those trains running on time, DumbledoreMussolini?

May 14th 2013

I would have said it was around Season 3, but yeah.

May 14th 2013 edited

In their defense, how do you maintain consistency over nine seasons of a show and still keep it fresh and worth watching? (Answer: you don't. You end the show after 3 or 4 seasons when your best ideas have really run out) You have to mix it up, and throw the dice a little bit. When the writers introduced changes, to keep the story going, it was going to ruffle feathers. You can't keep all the people happy all the time. It was unfair of us to expect that the show would have stayed exactly the same all this time. Each season couldn't be S2 redux.

Still though, in our defense, they made some dumb choices.

When this

became this

Egregious!

May 14th 2013

(Answer: you don't. You end the show after 3 or 4 seasons when your best ideas have really run out)

Or you get some new writers and some new central cast members and relaunch, which they kind of did a few times but not really and not real successfully. Actually, they kind of did it again, and it's kind of worked, this season with new Jim and new Dwight.

May 14th 2013

new Jim and new Dwight.

Plop and Fizz?

May 14th 2013

Yes, the Alka Seltzer twins.

May 14th 2013

Plop and Fizz?

Plop and Fart. Cause he farts all the time.

May 14th 2013 edited

Also, I don't mind Karen from the front. She's not terrible looking.

Didn't we used to have an opposite thread somewhere? That was fun.

Apr 9th 2016

I finished. I haven't dived into the finale thread yet. This, from the long forgotten Daoust , sums up my feelings about now.

Like I said, it's the nostalgia talking. But there's something that I find really alluring, almost addictive about nostalgia. I love that empty gut feeling that comes with the realization of the end of something. I often get that feeling when I look at old pictures of my kids, and I realize how quickly time has passed, and that they'll never be that age again, and I'll never go back to that time again. Maybe it's strange, maybe it's sad, that I get that feeling from the end of a television show too, but there it is.

It's cool that James kept this place accessible, even if the flurry of conversations has petered (plopped?) out. In a lot of ways it was better than the show. That said, I'm glad I went back and watched. Either I've softened with age, have had my judgment blurred by nostalgia or I just missed a lot, but I feel a lot better about the show and all its twists and turns than I necessarily felt as they unfolded. I'm glad to have fonder feelings about it as my NAnniversay approaches in July. Eventually we'll all move on from here (right?). Damn nostalgia, though. I'd like to get some of those early days here back again. It's impossible to describe, but it was pretty freaking awesome.

Apr 9th 2016 edited

I too find myself going back and finding solace and inspiration while reading quotes from the philosopher Daoust. My favorite was probably this one, which rings just as true today as it did in our halcyon days:

Boobs

Apr 10th 2016

Reading the S3 threads (which I did postmortem) is quite fun. People were fairly invested in their positions.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. >
61 to 82 of 82
Top of PageBack to discussions