Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
9.23 Finale
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
1 to 30 of 317
May 11th 2013
  • Season 9 : Episode 23
  • First aired on May 16, 2013

Summary courtesy of NBC:

THE OFFICE SAYS GOODBYE IN ITS ONE HOUR SERIES FINALE—GUEST STARRING MINDY KALING, BJ NOVAK, RACHAEL HARRIS, DAKOTA JOHNSON, JOAN CUSACK, ED BEGLEY JR., MALCOLM BARRETT, MATT JONES, ANDY BUCKLEY, MIKE SCHUR, BOBBY RAY SHAFER—Months after the airing of the documentary, the workers of Dunder Mifflin, past and present, gather for a wedding and a final round of interviews. Mysteries are solved, hatchets are buried, pranks are prunked. Also starring Rainn Wilson, John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, Ed Helms, Catherine Tate, Leslie David Baker, Brian Baumgartner, Kate Flannery, Angela Kinsey, Oscar Nuñez, Phyllis Smith, Paul Lieberstein, Creed Bratton, Craig Robinson, Ellie Kemper, Clark Duke, and Jake Lacy.

May 11th 2013 edited

I wanted to take a moment to say that it's been an honor to host Northern Attack for you fine folks.

I exercised my absentee landlord status to its extreme, and y'all took this place and built a wonderful community of honest and upstanding people around it. Mostly upstanding. :)

My interest in the show may have waned over the years (as many things inevitably do), but I can always point back to NA and think, "I'm proud of that place." As someone who makes his living designing and creating things, if there's one thing I've learned over the past several years, it's that building something of real substance in this crazy landscape of the Internet is tremendously difficult.

In a sea of failed launches and flittering ideas that never made it out of my notebook, NA stands as a real accomplishment and I have y'all to thank for that.

Thank you, everyone, for sticking around for the last 6 years (6 years!).

May 11th 2013

No, thank you, James, for setting this site up for the perverts who found it and became good friends.

We're a group of folks who would have never met any other way.

It's always been crazy fun at NA, even when the Office jumped shark after shark.

You're the best, and I'm so glad that you made the site... but it was seven years ago. (Just checked and yesterday was my NAnniversary.)

May 11th 2013 edited

Right you are, Toos. Seven years it's been.

I used to be good at counting.

May 11th 2013

Eh. Who needs counting? We still love you.

May 11th 2013

This is the best thing you've accomplished? A forum where people wrote about bajingoes?

Haha. Just kidding. This site really is an accomplishment, James, and I for one am really glad it exists. Thanks for creating and sustaining it all these years.

Northern Attack started about the show, but long ago people stopped coming for the show, and stayed because of the relationships made here. That is quite a thing in this every changing, fast paced technological world. Only a show like The Office could draw such an array of diverse, talented, hilarious and awesome fans, but it's a credit to you that the same fans have stuck together this long; because we had a great meeting place to come to. So thanks again.

May 11th 2013

You guys are making me tear up. For reals. Stop that.

May 11th 2013

I just want to say, from the bottom of my heart (and crotch) . . .

You're all welcome.

May 11th 2013

Clever words elude and would miss the point regardless. All there is to say is thanks, James. You done good kid, real good.

May 11th 2013 edited

Additionally, James, I dug this up from a little over six years ago, not to embarrass you - though picking Season 3 over Season 2 is highly suspect - but in sincere tribute. There's some cool insights into the origins of the site, I think. Back then I had as much time for a series on TV show fan site operators as you had to operate a TV show fan site.

Pardon the formatting issues. The blog is defunct, and the version of Wordpress is about six years out of date.

May 11th 2013

Wow, I was 25 when that happened? Incredible. I tease my team at work for being in their mid-twenties -- it's easy to forget I was that young not too long ago.

Thanks for uncovering that little bit of history, Bri. Here's hoping to both of us finding more free time in the future to do the things we love. Not that writing about TV show fan site operators is the thing you love... but, hey, I guess it could be.

May 11th 2013

though picking Season 3 over Season 2 is highly suspect

Haha. I was gonna grill you about that one, too.

So, John and Jenna used to check this place out back in season 2? I thought that was just a watercooler myth. Maybe that really was Greg Daniels and our old pal Beej visiting.

May 11th 2013

I'll tell you guys why I think ferd disappeared...I really think he was from the show. I won't say who I think he was/is or why I think so, but I thought so then, and I still think so now.

May 11th 2013

What would he have to hide? If he was from the show, why not come back? Especially now that it's over?

May 11th 2013

I think celebrities don't want to hang around with internet strangers. Plus, if his posts here were tied to him, publicly...I mean, I'm worried about posts here and I'm just some chick, not a TV-celebrity.

May 11th 2013

I exercised my absentee landlord status to its extreme, and y'all took this place and built a wonderful community of honest and upstanding people around it. Mostly upstanding. :)

I want to take a moment here, and, as sincerely and genuinely as I can, talk about one specific member of this forum who I think deserves some recognition for his service and dedication to this place. A member without whom I don't think this forum would be what it is today.

This forum owes a lot to Brian. He's been here since the summer of 2006, and I know there are a handful of you who came around the same time, and who have stayed, but I think Brians impact on this place is clear and evident, and I want to acknowledge it.

Brian made great use of his superb writing and communication skills to make every person who posted here feel welcome and a part of the group. He is great at encouraging thoughtful, engaging discussion, whether it was about the show or not. He was able to mediate through disagreements between members, and when the smoke cleared was still able to maintain the dignity of each one involved. He used his awesome sense of humor to lighten the mood, but was also able to express depth of emotion when called on it, and by doing so encouraged others to feel safe in also expressing their emotions.

I'm really not trying to be overly sentimental or over the top here. I just really appreciate Brian as an individual, and as a valued member of this forum, and I know I'm not alone in feeling this way. I think he put a lot of heart and soul into this forum over the years because he genuinely cared about it, and more importantly cared about us, and I just wanted to commend him for it.

Bri, thanks for your efforts here. We've never met in 'real life', but I'm confident that if we did, I'd find you to be the kind, generous, caring and hilarious person you've presented yourself as here on the forum. And despite the fact that we've never met, I still consider it a privilege to have gotten to know you over these years.

commence sentimental powerpoint presentation filled with images of Bri, complete with some of his memorable quotes, all scored to a Van Halen song.

(Bri, I trust you'll see where my heart is at with this. I'm really sorry if it's weird for you to hear, but i need you to hear it. Probably not good timing, I know that I just… I just needed you to know.... I'm not gay.")

May 11th 2013

I'll tell you guys why I think ferd disappeared...I really think he was from the show. I won't say who I think he was/is or why I think so, but I thought so then, and I still think so now.

Toos!, I totally think this as well. Although wasn't his address somewhere in the boonies? He did get a couple things from one or two of the contests.

May 11th 2013 edited

I would like to second Daoust's toast to Brian.

I came for the contest that one year and I stayed largely due to the awesome hilarious posts from Bri. He's real and approachable and intelligent and kind and funny on top of it all. I came to love most of you guys after I stayed, but I think Bri was the one I thought every day, "That guy is really funny. I'm going to log on really quick and see what funny things he's said today." And then it turned out that a bunch of the rest of you were brilliant and kind people, too.

Except for the darn Canadian. He's a jerk because of leaving us like a big jerkface.

*edited to spell approachable correctically

P.S. Remember back when we would put why we edited our posts because we were worried about what other people thought?

May 11th 2013

Yes. But as I remember it, it was a PO box, so that means nothing. You can get a PO Box anywhere and forward your mail. I'm pretty sure.

Or I'm completely wrong and making stuff up.

But I do know that you can forward mail and you can get PO boxes, so why wouldn't they let you do both at once?

I also love Brian and think he's awesome. But I've got to say, ever since he shortened it to Bri, I've been irritated when typing his name. I always want to type the an, every time. So, I kind of hate him.

May 11th 2013

P.S. Remember back when we would put why we edited our posts because we were worried about what other people thought?

I remember doing it, but that wasn't my motivation. I did it to be funny. Or I'd try to be funny when I did it.

May 11th 2013

Yeah, you're right. It's weird. But thanks all the same, and a sincere ditto to you for toiling, literally at times, to keep a substantive discussion going (even if we were only discussing boobs). You weren't afraid to let it be known you cared about the fate of this place. You contributed to heated discussions with an open-mindedness and sincerity as well as a willingness to risk ridicule, particularly from Toosie. I'd venture to say you never had a conflict with anyone here, which I find pretty amazing. Toosie is another one who kept this place going in a good way. And if you want to go way back, I'd credit Jinx and garbagethrower for doing more than anyone, for setting the tone that set this place apart. Certainly not them alone, but definitely them.

May 11th 2013

I think ferd was really just ferd, for what it's worth. He was some kind if designer. He and gt connected on that stuff. And he even made the computer graphic that I used as the intro to my old podcast.

We used to never curse. And spelling and grammar really counted.

May 11th 2013

I'd credit Jinx and garbagethrower for doing more than anyone, for setting the tone that set this place apart.

I'd agree with that. I'd say that if they had made me stop torturing Daoust back in the day, I'd have stopped. They were probably the only ones I'd listen to. And LT.

May 11th 2013

I hate singling people out because way more people made this a great refuge from our own real Offices. Anque, lem, DftF, Single Tear, CZ-J, LT and probably a bunch of others I'm blanking on right at this minute. Thanks for letting it live on James.

May 11th 2013

Yeah, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings by not mentioning them either, but Bri you were a big reason for the draw. I stayed because everyone was awesome. Well, except for those 4.

Every one of you is smart, witty, kind, open-minded and passionate, and I'm proud to know you, even if it's not in the come-over-to-your-house kind of way.

May 11th 2013

I was going to put in the disclaimer about how that there certainly are other very much loved and appreciated members of this place, and they all deserve a mention, but I didn't, because I knew you all knew that. You all know where I was going with what I said. It isn't about a popularity contest. Nor was I looking for someone to return the favour. I was just being the nice, sentimental Canadian guy.

May 11th 2013

Really, you guys? I just came to NA because of The Office. You guys were just in the way most of the time.

turns quickly away so no one sees him wiping a tear away

May 11th 2013

I stayed because everyone was awesome.

Isn't this the weirdest freaking thing ever? It means either that we lucked out and all the cool kids came to NA, or maybe...maybe...everyone in the world is pretty cool if you give them a chance and get to know them. And they drop their guard. And their pants on Friday.

May 11th 2013

I hear what you're saying, and I love you, too, Anque.

May 11th 2013

I'm glad you could hear that behind all the jerks and douchebags. Mwah!

I wouldn't be mad that you decided to quit us forever if it weren't for the fact that I gave a shit.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. >
1 to 30 of 317
Top of PageBack to discussions