Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
9.23 Finale
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. >
301 to 317 of 317
Jun 14th 2013

Wha? I didn't know you were looking for a little vegemite sandwich action, Daoust! There are so many things we still don't know about you.

Jun 14th 2013

Haha. I was making a joke about Mixed Berries and his religious atheism.

Jun 15th 2013

He was very religiously atheist.

Jun 18th 2013

I still haven't watched this.

Jan 6th 2016

I just did. It was nice.

Jan 6th 2016

:-)

Jan 7th 2016

In retrospect, the finale was a little disappointing for me. Mostly because I was hate-watching by then, and I kinda wanted it to be a dumpster fire.

Jan 7th 2016

I enjoyed the entire last season. It was like the writers suddenly cared again.

Apr 4th 2016

I look forward to re-reading this thread, which I haven't peeked at yet even though it was active just a few months ago and I should remember it. I have no idea how the show ends. Does it end? Does anything get wrapped up? Do Jim and Pam realize they both could do better? Does Meredith's centrality to the show's emotional core finally get its due? Does Kevin's TBI finally get diagnosed? Where are my pants? These are all questions I find myself asking.

I predict I'll give the finale a 9/10. I'm not sure whether 1 or 10 will be better.

Apr 5th 2016

A lot of these later episodes were very good, it's just that they don't match up with the brilliance from Season 2. Sometimes I'll catch an episode from Season 2 and I'm still astounded at how good they were...the writers and actors were just nailing every joke, every scene.

Apr 5th 2016

I would like to apologize for filling the last few pages with boring political debate. Boobs!

Apr 9th 2016

I think I'll live-blog this thread. Sue me.

I'll tell you guys why I think ferd disappeared...I really think he was from the show. I won't say who I think he was/is or why I think so, but I thought so then, and I still think so now.

I don't know if this theory of Toosie's carries any weight, but I subscribe to it without reservation.

Daoust said some embarrassingly nice things about me. I don't think you guys agreed with him with nearly enough enthusiasm.

Anque agreed about ferd. She always was the smart one here. She even agreed with Daoust about me. Toosie too, but she also said:

So, I kind of hate him.

Shun.

I did not subscribe to the ferd-as-Greg Daniels theory. Maybe "they" got to me.

AnqueST pillow fights!

DftF referenced nostalgia and appreciated that we thought it was cool he was Jewish. (He was Jewish?)

There were times in my life when it was my only safe harbor.

This was a nice tribute. So was this:

Suck it, JennaLovesJosh.

DC sidetracked a heartfelt conversation by regaling us with tales of his week spent in Silvio Berlusconi's soccer shorts. But BTF popped in, which was nice. Popped into the forum, I mean. I don't know if she's ever popped into anyone's soccer shorts. Besides her husband's. Nor Berlusconi's.

I just don't care much anymore. I'd be fine if the one I saw last week was the series finale. Or if any of the others from the last couple of years were.

I still forgot this was today.

Also, this.

I was pretty ambivalent about the show, but Toosie was downright party pooperish.

Apparently NBC News did a retrospective special. I'll have to track that down.

Anque tried to get a Google Hangout going, which seems so awesome on her part, and the response was unenthusiastic, which seems so lame. I wish that existed.

ferd showed up!!!

And NO ONE ACKNOWLEDGED HIM!!! He didn't dispel the notion that he's really Plop or Devin or Greg Daniels.

Real-time reaction to the finale was the same as mine earlier:

Pure awesomeness.

P-iT noted that it felt more like an epilogue to the previous episode's finale, which I agree with, in a good way.

We're into episode dissection, and I feel like I need another rewatch to weigh in. That said, I agree that Holly should've been there. I disagree that Pam was redeemed because I don't think she needed any redemption. Husbands who buy houses or take jobs in other cities without mentioning anything first tend to become ex-husbands, deservedly. If anything I'd say Jim needed and got redemption more than Pam.

Jinx nailed it:

It was nice that Pam had the last line of the show. She looked beautiful last night, and has always been the heart and soul of The Office.

I agree with everything I said on page 6, but none of it seems worth repeating.

Kelly leaving her husband, Ryan leaving his baby and Nellie taking the baby back to Europe? All bad. Thought so then, think so now.

The discussion turned to when and how the show lost its way, which was a goal of mine in rewatching. I can't say when because I ended up liking a lot of what I hated the first time through. I think I agree with DC's take on the how...

My feeling is that the biggest problem was that they decided that the success of the Jim and Pam story meant that they should focus on relationship stories and not on the life in the office. And so we got three years of Andy/Angela/Dwight, Andy/Erin, Michael/Holly, Michael/bar owner, Kelly/Ryan, Kelly/Darryl, Angela/Senator/Oscar. Of these, only Michael and Holly had any real substance

Yep. There's more, and it's worth re-reading.

*gt^ tried to justify her lack of haiku writing and such with some crap about needing to make a living and having a family. blah blah blah

Pan! Her comments are a nice contribution as well.

This is getting really long. TWSS. Well, onward.

Nerfy was surprisingly (to me) underwhelmed. Urkel...grue came by! She too missed Holly.

A week later - yes a week lapsed between comments on page 8; not something you'd have seen earlier - Daoust said the episode hadn't aged well. I think that's premature and that he was still too close to it all. Without reading ahead, I bet I agreed then but it don't now.

~~Jinx and DC got all political and shit. Booooooooorrrriiiiing!~~

For the record, it took two weeks before TTP attempted to get the subject back on track. She sparked talk of an Office reboot, including a what-if scenario of some of us starring in it. Weird, but better than fracking.

A month later, DftF still hadn't watched the finale. Two and a half years later, KarenM did, but I doubt she meant for the first time. And if I'm not mistaken, it took that long for Asdfeou to come back, to this thread anyway.

And now this comment from DC makes more sense to me...

I would like to apologize for filling the last few pages with boring political debate. Boobs!

Apr 9th 2016

In retrospect, I would also like to apologize for DC filling the last few pages with boring political debate.

Apr 9th 2016

Your recap makes me smile and remember people. :-) I'm not going to reread the whole thing, though. :-D

Apr 10th 2016

In retrospect, I would also like to apologize for DC filling the last few pages with boring political debate.

Someone had to correct your wrongness.

I disagree that Pam was redeemed because I don't think she needed any redemption. Husbands who buy houses or take jobs in other cities without mentioning anything first tend to become ex-husbands, deservedly.

Jim buying the house and taking the job without telling Pam were so ridiculous that I excluded them as actually happening. This fundamental mistake was why I hated the Jim/Pam conflict so much. It started off stupidly and then kept going and going without ever reaching a logical conclusion. How many episodes ended with them on the verge of discussing their problems only for the show to return the next week with nothing resolved?

Apr 10th 2016

Jim buying the house and taking the job without telling Pam were so ridiculous that I excluded them as actually happening

I suspect the writers responsible for those twists had never taken out out a mortgage, comissioned a Realtor or been married. When Jim was shooting around with Dr. J and Pam was at home stumbling over the garbage pails, it felt authentic. But when they went to counseling and spent the day expressing their truths to one another, it felt like they handed off writing duties that week to a the craft services staff.

Apr 10th 2016

I suspect the writers responsible for those twists had never taken out out a mortgage, comissioned a Realtor or been married.

This. I also wonder how well they understood things like actually working in a regular office as opposed to a writers room.

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11