Not signed in (Sign In)
Welcome to The Watercooler, the companion forum to Northern Attack and all things concerning The Office on NBC.

Guests are free to browse the forums, although you will need to register for an account if you wish to participate in the discussions or use any of the advanced features of the forum (bookmarks, history, etc).

If you already have an account, please sign in now.

The Watercooler is powered by Vanilla, the sweetest forum on the web.

Bottom of Page
But then, who would watch my TV? : Other shows Office fans watch
  1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 711
  5. 712
  6. 713
  7. 714
  8. 715
  9. 716
  10. 717
  11. 718
  12. 719
  13. >
21511 to 21540 of 21547
Oct 13th 2018

I check it a lot, too. I didn't read your post about the show I don't watch, Bri.

Oct 15th 2018

I re-watched the series as well. One of the best ever.

Oct 15th 2018

In lieu of watching and re-watching this program, I just read and re-read your post, Bri. Good work.

Oct 30th 2018

I get that they lost their kids, but their kids will be fine.

I'm not so sure about that. Henry is in for a pretty bleak ride and I'm not sure Paige is going to be able to handle the truth about what her parents actually did, as opposed to what they were telling her.

Oct 30th 2018

Currently watching The Office. Sort of.

Oct 31st 2018

Has anyone watched Maniac on Netflix, with Jonah Hill, Emma Stone, and Sally Field?

We got through about half of it, and then I skipped to the end. Pretty weird, but I liked some of it.

Nov 20th 2018

Popping in with the recommendation that all of you watch Schitt's Creek. Do it. Do it now! 5...4...3...2...do it!

Dec 9th 2018

Have you guys seen Norsemen?

Dec 14th 2018

Schitt's Creek is absolutely a gem. I have not yet watched Norsemen. Just got done with a rewatch of Miss Fisher's series.

Dec 25th 2018

Thumbs up for Norsemen.

Dec 28th 2018

I bailed on Schitt's Creek a couple of episodes in, but this thread (and this article) inspired me to start again. Also re-watching Happy Endings on Hulu.

Jan 29th 2019

I never did watch that, but my dad recommended it when he watched it.

Dave (that can be his NA codename. haha) & I are watching Cheers. It's pretty funny and seems like a really good show, so far. We've only seen 4 episodes, but we've laughed out loud at 4 episodes. :-)

Jan 30th 2019

I are watching Cheers

How...old are you? Were you in an iron lung as a child?

Jan 30th 2019

That's the thing, we've each only seen a couple episodes. It's "supposed to be good," so we're trying it. We were saying last night that it seems like it's still good because it's not very topical, more about interpersonal relationships. In 5 or 6 episodes, there's only been one reference that we didn't get, but they made it into a recurring joke, so it was still a callback we got, even if we didn't get the first reference.

Jan 30th 2019

I found Cheers on Netflix this summer, and quite enjoyed the first and second season. I got a little tired of the whole Sam/Diane thing, and found Frasier really unlikable, considering how much I enjoyed Frasier.

Jan 31st 2019

there's only been one reference that we didn't get

Was it about DumbledoreCalrissian or MISSterious? Because of old and before your time...

but they made it into a recurring joke

Yeah, they're a recurring joke here too.

Jan 31st 2019

Has anyone watched Maniac on Netflix, with Jonah Hill, Emma Stone, and Sally Field?

This got Tear'd, or Grue'd, or Nerfy'd,

I started that show over Christmas. It was too weird for me.

I've tried to start a few shows lately, and they all sucked. Marvelous Miss Maisel, The Ranch, one about Irish kids.. I couldn't get in to any of them.

So, I went back to the old faithful... In my case, that's The Off- just kidding! It's actually Ken Burns' The Civil War. This will be my third time watching it, and I think I love it more with each successive watch.

Guys, I"m such a nerd. I have spent hours recently on websites like The American Battlefield Trust, learning about all the battles again. I'm daydreaming about taking a trip to Antietam or Gettysburg, and walking the battlefields. Who does that? Seriously though, I really want to go.

Also, I have questions. (Number one, how dare you?) So if anyone wants to entertain me, I'd be all over it.

Jan 31st 2019

Gettysburg, and walking the battlefields. Who does that?

I'll tell you who, Gabraham Lincoln, that's who.

Marvelous Miss Maisel

Wife and I just watched this. I kept wanting to not like it, but I loved the interplay between Midge and Susie.

Feb 2nd 2019

Also, I have questions.

Just ask 'em.

We liked The Ranch. But there is a new season I haven't seen, yet. So, I guess I prefer Cheers.

Feb 2nd 2019 edited

found Frasier really unlikable, considering how much I enjoyed Frasier.

Interesting. I’ve done a Frasier series rewatch. Better writers later maybe.

Yeah, they're a recurring joke here too.

Boom. Not even around yet roasted.

This got Tear'd, or Grue'd, or Nerfy'd,

No idea what these are but feel like I once did.

they all sucked. Marvelous Miss Maisel

I like this show. It’s the manliest thing about me. I say oy and meshuggeneh a lot now.

I'm daydreaming about taking a trip to Antietam or Gettysburg, and walking the battlefields. Who does that?

Some people...do that. Seriously, though, get your own country. You don’t see us nerding out over Canadian civil war sites.

Fun story (we’ll, story, anyway), there’s a giant statue of Sherman on a horse at the southeast corner of Central Park, a place called Grand Army Plaza. I feel like while this could be offensive to someone from Savannah, but I bet only the tourists know or care about any of the history. We’ve passed it a half-dozen times in recent years on the way to a doctor my wife sees. Two months ago I was listening to an audiobook by David McCoullough about Americans who traveled to Paris in the 19th century. It included the story of the artist who created that Sherman statue.

Feb 3rd 2019

Was it about DumbledoreCalrissian or MISSterious? Because of old and before your time...

At least I still have my hair.

I'm daydreaming about taking a trip to Antietam or Gettysburg, and walking the battlefields. Who does that?

I have toured both of these fields more than 6 times. I gave money to the American Battlefield Trust last year to preserve land at Gettysburg.

Feb 4th 2019

We've been to Appomattox a few times. And Gettysburg.

I feel like while this could be offensive to someone from Savannah, but I bet only the tourists know or care about any of the history.

Sherman has... whatever the opposite of fans are... in lots of places. I'd say more than just tourists know the general history. Unless you mean everyone who sees it is a tourist, because Central Park.

Feb 4th 2019

I have toured both of these fields more than 6 times. I gave money to the American Battlefield Trust last year to preserve land at Gettysburg.

Are these actions due to your fondness from when you fought there, because of old?

Feb 4th 2019

Yeah DC, if you already served in a battle, you don't need to pay for it's upkeep.

Feb 5th 2019

Just ask 'em.

Okay. See below.

Seriously, though, get your own country. You don’t see us nerding out over Canadian civil war sites.

I haven't been to the Plains of Abraham in Quebec City, a key site of the Seven Years War, where the British under General Wolfe defeated the French under Montcalm in September of 1759 thereby taking control of the colonies of Canada. But I'd like to! I'd like to see the site where Brigadier General Thistlethorp stood his ground against a surge of French soldiers, causing Wolfe to exclaim to his tired troops, "There stands Thistlethorp, like a mighty moose! Rally behind the Liverpudlians!"

I did more googling for that joke than I care to admit.

We've been to Appomattox a few times. And Gettysburg.

Jealous

I have toured both of these fields more than 6 times.

Jealouser.

Is it awesome? How are the guided tours?

Since I started watching The Civil War again, I've read some articles online. Most of them are from a revisionist history perspective, critiquing the documentary for a few things. They argue that a) Shelby Foote was a racist b) who was more a storyteller than accurate historian, and who got more screen time and had more influence on the doc than he should have. They argue that MacPhersons Battle Cry Freedom which came out in 1988 is a much better historical source, which Burns should have resorted to more.

I'll start there. Chime in, all.

Feb 5th 2019

"There stands Thistlethorp, like a mighty moose! Rally behind the Liverpudlians!"

I got it! I got it, and it was awesome.

I'm a history geek in so many areas, but never Civil War, for some strange reason. Maybe I understand that there is so much to get into, that I'd never have the time.

Regardless, I'm jealous that you guys are geeking out over this stuff. Do continue.

Feb 5th 2019

Also, my mother always told me that she remembers seeing a Civil War veteran in a parade near Rochester, NY, in the late 1940s, and I always told her that she must have been mistaken. Then I discovered that the last verified Union veteran was James Hard (TWSS) who died in Rochester in 1953, so I guess mom was right after all.

Feb 5th 2019

You guys know that episode of Cheers where the WWI veteran comes to the bar for a reunion? It's a real downer. Anyway, that guy was the last of his... war man group.

Ol' Hard reminded me of that.

Feb 7th 2019

Is it awesome? How are the guided tours?

Both are awesome. Never done a guided tour, but you can watch a bunch of the park rangers tours on Youtube. Antietam is almost untouched from the time of the battle and has an extensive set or walking trails that cover the whole field.

Feb 8th 2019

I have now completed Ken Burns’ The Civil War for the third time (in my life - not consecutive viewings, although I can say with conviction that this is is the only film of any genre that I feel I could go back to the beginning and watch over again.) This doc is so very good, and I don’t feel it’s aged at all, which is saying something given it’s thirty years old!

Burns’ storytelling is second to none. He makes the characters like Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Sam Watkins, and Mary Chestnut come alive so we’ll. Burns brings out the humanity of such larger than life figures as US Grant, Sherman, Lee and Lincoln with brilliance.

I’ve thought quite a bit about the end of the war; how weird it must have been for all those soldiers, who one minute had been immersed in a bloody, insane, all-consuming conflict, in the next to go back home to their ‘regular’ lives, office jobs, or farm work, wife and kids.

Mostly I thought about how the major players were such fallible creatures. The theme of ineptitude and poor judgement was so prevalent in the doc. Robert E Lee, so highly praised by Foote as the greatest soldier in American, if not world history, made major tactical blunders at Gettysburg and one of the last battles in the overland campaign. Both were crucial errors that doomed the Confederate army.

The doc famously castigates Union leader George McLellan for his failure to act at critical moments in the war where action could have lead to major Federal victories. Burnside made blunder after blunder. Sherman and Grant, the heroes of the war and the doc, had their own moments of poor judgment leading to great defeats.

So many deaths (625,000) came as a result of decisions made the fallible human beings in charge. Just an astonishing fact.

Anyway, I love this doc, I love the excellent storytelling, I love the history. It is entirely captivating!

Foote has a great quote, at the end of the doc:

“We think that we are a wholly superior people – if we’d been anything like as superior as we think we are, we would not have fought that war.  But since we did fight it, we have to make it the greatest war of all times.  And our generals were the greatest generals of all time.  It’s very American to do that.”

USA! USA! USA!

1. <
  2. 1
  3. ...
  4. 711
  5. 712
  6. 713
  7. 714
  8. 715
  9. 716
  10. 717
  11. 718